Serves: 10(1 Vote)
200g caster sugar
200g milk chocolate
200g butter, softened
200g plain chocolate
1 packet of orange jelly
200g self raising flour
For the sponge
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Cream the butter and the sugar together
- Beat in the eggs.
- Sift over the flour and fold in using a large spoon
- Transfer to a large sandwich tin
- Bake for 30 minutes or until you think it's done.
For the jaffa/jelly
- Make up a standard packet of orange jelly but with half of the required water so the jelly is thicker. Let the jelly set on a dinner plate covered in cling film so you can easily lift the jelly later on.
For the chocolate covering
Once the jelly is set (good to leave it overnight), tip the plate onto the sponge base and trim to the desired shape.
Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie or microwave, I used a mix of plain and milk chocolate but you can change this to taste. I layered the chocolate on with a pastry brush initially just to make sure the jelly didn't melt. Once you do the first layers you can then build it up to whatever thickness you like.
Use cling film on a dinner plate in order to get a good depth of jelly, the cling film ensures you'll be able to lift the jelly off cleanly!
Kids can help