Serves: 4(2 Votes)
1 pinch salt and pepper, (to taste)
1 large onion, finely diced
1 tin chopped tomato
1 tin corned beef
1 shortcrust pastry, (to line and top your pie dish)
1 OXO cube
1 splash Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4.
- Fry the onions in the oil until soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, crumble in the OXO cube, and add a splash of Worcestershire sauce. Stir well and continue to cook over a high heat.
- When bubbling, add the corned beef (either cut into cubes before adding to the pan or just break up in the pan), and stir thoroughly until it has broken down into the tomatoes.
- Season to taste.
- Continue to cook over a medium heat until most of the liquid has boiled off, so that it is quite thick and won't be too runny in the pie.
- Line your pie dish with pastry, scoop in the corned beef mixture and top the pie with another circle of pastry.
- Brush the top of the pie with beaten egg/ milk if you want a nice golden crust, and make a couple of slits in the centre of the pastry.
- Bake the pie for 20-30 minutes i.e. until the pastry is golden brown.
- The pie can be served warm, but tends to be a bit too sloppy for this. It is better served at room temperature.
I use an 8” flan dish for this, and this is just the right size for this amount of filling.