Woolly Hugs: The Babettes, Billie's Blankets and Little Hugs.

(645 Posts)
KnottyLocks Tue 18-Jun-13 16:06:55

This is a continuation of our Little Hug and Billie's Blanket projects.

Little Hugs will continue to go to babies and children who are seriously ill in Yorkhill hospital and Billie's blankets will be sent in Billie's name, via the wonderful charity World Child Cancer, to children undergoing treatment for cancer in low and middle income countries.

Our aim with the Babettes is to make some bigger blankets for older children, both for Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets.
We will still make blankets of other sizes too.

THE BABETTES

The idea is to make a 12 x 12 inch panel, either crochet or knit, that can be added to others to create bigger blankets.
The panel can be made as one piece, or as a combination of squares, stripes or patterned. For example, a large granny square, or 4 six inch squares together, or a panel of stripes.
The design is up to you as long as it isn't too holey and will be fine stitched or hooked to others.
If you choose to use separate squares as part of your design, can we ask that they be either stitched together, hooked as you go, or hooked together with the seam on the back.

Yarn for Babettes: Stylecraft Special DK only, so we know that the blankets will wash and wear well and, unless your tension is very tight, use 4mm hooks or needles.

Colours: your choice although for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.
Some colour combinations that would work: blues/greens, purples/pinks, spring colours, primary brights, rainbow shades.

If you Google 'Babette blankets', you'll get an idea of what we have in mind once the panels are combined.

FOR WHOLE BLANKETS - Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets:

Minimum size: 18 x 18 inches for Little Hugs; 24 inches by 24 inches for Billie's Blankets.
If you would like to make a blanket that is bigger, that would be lovely.
The children we send Billie's Blankets to are aged 0 to 14 and Yorkhill treat children of a similar age so we will need bigger blankets too hence our Babettes.

Colours: Your choice.
Although again for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.

Things to avoid:
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.

Materials:
Suggested yarn for Billies Blankets: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic yarn.
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight and make of acrylic yarn. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be washed and dried quickly and easily.
For Little Hugs: As above, plus any of our usual Woolly Hugs woolly wool or yarn that is soft and can be machine washed.

We would also love fleece backed quilts, or edged fleece blankets if you prefer sewing.

As always, we also welcome any 6 inch squares made using the Stylecraft Special DK or any of the usual Woolly Hugs blanket wools.

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support. thanks thanks

Knotty and Pistey

Website- www.woollyhugs.com
Facebook ? MNWoollyHugs
Twitter - @MNWoollyHugs

KnottyLocks Wed 23-Oct-13 18:08:05

Welcome, Watchingout smile

Masons work out cheaper than Deramores for Stylecraft if Deramores don't have an offer on.

JollyScaryGiant Wed 23-Oct-13 18:21:51

Sconch textiles are also cheaper than Deramores if there's no offers.

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 23-Oct-13 18:42:40

Evening [gin] smile

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Gorgeous blankets arriving today from the lovely Valerie, two lovely knits for Yorkhill, and one knitted squares joined together for WCC. They are absolutely lovely and already on Facebook. Huge thanks to her thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 23-Oct-13 18:45:51

I was buying stylecraft for the Winston's Wish fundraiser, and was staggered by the difference.

Deramores are now charging £2.09 a ball and £2.95 postage shock Meanwhile, Masons are £1.60 and £1.50 postage big difference int it?

Deramores are very good at getting wool out quickly, Mason's take about a day longer, but even so!

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 23-Oct-13 18:47:23

That would be our Christmas Craft Fundraiser for Winston's Wish, if anyone's not seen smile

Knotty, did my babettes get to you? I posted them rather cheekily as a 'large letter' but had trouble fitting them in the post box. blush

KnottyLocks Wed 23-Oct-13 20:32:08

Aha! That's you, is it? grin

I wasn't in so will collect them Friday.

Knotty, if the post office got fussy and charged for insufficient postage, please let me know!

KnottyLocks Wed 23-Oct-13 21:24:57

Let's say a tenner and I'll never mention it again wink

grin

EllenJaneFucker Wed 23-Oct-13 21:55:37

Argh! blush

KnottyLocks Wed 23-Oct-13 22:28:54

Ah no worries. A tenner? I'm pulling your leg grin

EllenJaneFucker Wed 23-Oct-13 22:39:21

Phew! Though, please do let me know if you are charged. I thought I was so clever squeezing it flat into a large letter, then I had to fold it in half to get it through the post box slot, so all the air I'd squeezed out puffed back in! grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 24-Oct-13 08:30:33

Inflatable Babettes. Intriguing.

grin

Morning brew

watchingout Thu 24-Oct-13 19:11:49

Done it - first ever order placed with Deramores grin All geared up now for a wet and windy weekend. Assuming the postie gets through tomorrow or Saturday. I also found a crochet hook last night so cleared out 30 years of brain cobwebs and impressed DD with "one handed knitting" wink

KnottyLocks Fri 25-Oct-13 16:49:42

Five beautiful Babettes arriving today from DancingShoes. [Woolly Star]

Gorgeous range of colours and stitches. Many thanks thanks

Dodgy pic (because of me and the weather, rather than her grin ) now on our FB page.

GetOnYourDancingShoes Fri 25-Oct-13 17:11:05

Glad they arrived ok.

I've got room for my new Stylecraft order now grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 25-Oct-13 19:17:16

smile I too had a delivery of woolly treasure from our very lovely DancingShoes, sorry for the delay, have just finished uploading photos to Facebook, and it is all truly marvellous, Billie's Blankets and Little Hugs, with an Angel Hug too. thanks

Honestly DancingShoes, you are a bloomin star. THANK YOU X

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 26-Oct-13 11:04:44

Morning brew smile

Two adorable Little Hugs for Yorkhill Children's Hospital arrived just now from the very lovely Woolfey, and made in cotton and fleece, one is a transport print, the other some very cute owls!

Huge thanks to her, they are absolutely lovely, and the pics are already up on Facebook. X

Had to rush the photos, wanted to take them outside as colours better, but was worried they might blow away, tis beginning to get feisty the weather here confused

Mhw02 Sun 27-Oct-13 13:43:54

I love that blanket by DancingShoes with the jaggedy border. So lovely!

Yesterday I went to the HobbyCraft fair at the SECC and got a pack of 10 balls of Cashsoft in Admiral for £19.99! Bargain!

I also found a tiny scrap of just the right colour of Stylecraft at the bottom of my wool bag which allowed me to finish a blanket which had been in limbo for want of such a tiny scrap. Just need to sew in ends and border it now.

I have also just finished two squares with an owl pattern on them for another blanket - one a pink background with a purple owl and one a purple background with a pink owl. The former looks really cute, but the latter looks slightly evil - how? why? I'm afraid it's going in the blanket regardless as it took me four hours to do that one square. (I can now do a plain crochet square in 35 minutes, but my knitting just will not speed up at all...)

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 28-Oct-13 07:00:46

Morning brew

Hope no one has been blown away, and that everyone is OK. Has been bonkers windy and bucketing down here, was worried about my trees but they are still here! Think it is beginning to ease, huzzah.

Arf at evil Owls Mhw02, I'm sure it doesn't! Can't wait to see it now grin

thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 29-Oct-13 07:37:19

Morning smile brew

If anyone has a Babette to post for this coming collection, please PM me for the address, and if possible wait until the deadline (1st Nov) to post as our Knotty is away for a few days. Thank you so much X

thanks

watchingout Tue 29-Oct-13 13:30:47

Back online today (smile) after 24hrs+ with no power. Discovered that trying out a new pattern is NOT a good plan in candlelight so stuck to a good old plain square. Haven't been brave enough to look into the knitting bag yet to discover what kind of a mess I made in the dark... blush

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 30-Oct-13 07:02:00

Morning, dread to think what kinda mess I'd make!

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 30-Oct-13 19:09:28

Evening wine

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

A beautiful Billie's Blanket for a child in Bangladesh coming from Team Peru, a group who trekked the Inca Trail together - MOS, Carine, Katie and Jennifer thanks

Huge thanks to each of them, it really is very lovely. THANK YOU!!

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 31-Oct-13 15:21:00

Two beautiful knitted Billie's Blankets for children in Bangladesh from the very lovely Mrs Baker. Multi coloured stripes, so zingy, just lovely.

Huge thanks to her, just gorgeous thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now