Run Woollies, Run!

(619 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 28-Apr-13 13:24:53

The continuing story of how Team Woolly Hugs does running. All newcomers very welcome!

Our first fabulous runner, PiggyPlumPie has been there, done that and quite literally has the tshirt (gorgeous btw) and we are looking forward to more runs taking place round the country, and further afield maybe? <Looks at our International Blanketeers smile>

We are doing this to support the Billie's Blanket Project being run by the Woolly Hugs community, see here This project was launched as a tribute to beautiful Billie, our lovely MrsDeVere's daughter, who devastatingly died at 14 from leukaemia. We launched this at the time of her 21st birthday. In Billie's name, and through World Child Cancer we will send little blankets to children who are suffering from cancer, and who really need a Woolly Hug and to feel loved and looked after. Our first batch has already gone to Malawi, the next will go to Ghana and Bangladesh.

We are helping raise funds so that alongside Billie's Blankets, we can send a donation to World Child Cancer. Money is so scarce, they really have so little. There will be other fundraising events this year, but we are RUNNING!

These are where the 5K runs will takeplace, they are all over. But even if you run round the block and someone sponsors you to do so, it all counts!

Our Just Giving Page is here. Donations are welcome at any time, huge thanks for those already in. At this moment we are up to £1,116.33, where will be be when this thread is full?!

Enter established events soon to avoid disappointment. Let us know when you are running so we can cheer you on, and please use this thread for support, and general running things, the support here is awesome and we love Piggy's idea of tying a woolly bracelet on to run, then we are all with you as you go. smile

MNWoollyHugs on Facebook - come and find us, you can still remain anonymous smile

For novices....Woolly Hugs Guide to Running

* Put down your woolly wool,crochet hooks and needles. <we have a done risk assessment>

* Find your trainers, these are sort of soft bouncy shoe-things that go on your feet.

* Find something loose and comfortable to wear, and no we don't mean a caftan.

* Open front door and go outside.

* Put one foot in front of the other with speed and determination!

YOU are RUNNING!

The children that WCC support need all the love and comfort possible. So please, in memory of a sparkling young girl who always thought of others, we'd love you to help us help them.

As ever, thank you so much for your support.

Thinking of Billie and her family Xx

Knotty and Pistey

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Oct-13 13:29:33

wine

<sniff>

jellybrain Sun 06-Oct-13 14:04:20

Thanks for all the cheers. Well done Yippee and MakaPaka toowinethankswinethanks Feels awesome doesn't it?
Am also allowed a hot bubbly bath in the middle of the afternoon no questions asked wink

jellybrain Sun 06-Oct-13 14:12:59

Just realised Yippee and Makkapaka aren't two people. Sorry - brain has gone.
I even got my medal engraved with the wrong time wrote down 1:53:54 by mistakeblush. Dd has stuck a sticker over the 1 for me smile

Well done Jellybrain! grinthankswine

I'm feeling much better after a nice shower and am now having a very large brew and will be going to bed at 7pm.

Fantastic run though, great atmosphere and lovely route.

Good luck to next weeks' runners thanks

PiggyPlumPie Sun 06-Oct-13 16:58:55

Well done both of you!!! wine wine

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Oct-13 17:39:04

So pleased for you both, you really are most marvellous. Any photos we can share on WH Facebook and Twitter? Folk just love to see, very motivating!

<looks at BIWI, nervous laugh>

BIWI - tis supposed to snow next Sun shock

Pistey you can share the photo of my medal if you like. D'you want me to send you it, or can you just share/download it from FB?

And shock at snow next week. Today was glorious (cold in the early hours though).

jellybrain Sun 06-Oct-13 18:27:26

I have an after photo. Extremely unflattering but, it proves I worked hard. Will upload later in the week.

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Oct-13 18:35:56

I am joking about the snow btw, just trying to rattle BIWI grin

I can nick yer pic, not a problem X

And enjoy your evenings both of you Xx

thanks

BIWIZ Sun 06-Oct-13 20:00:07

Actually, I started training when it was snowing. Would rather run in the cold than the sunshine!

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Oct-13 20:09:12

Actually I ran in the snow too, I remember running up the centre of the roads, hard work wasn't it?

Us Londoners next BIWI confused

Well done! Love the medal

jellybrain Mon 07-Oct-13 21:07:36

Can I show off a bit. I wasn't last, I came 245th out of 1042 runners and 66th out of 615 women.
It's only just sinking in!

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Mon 07-Oct-13 22:39:14

Yay jelly - nowhere near last! Brilliant time!

jellybrain Tue 08-Oct-13 17:39:54

Ok so, what do I do with my sponsor money? Should I pay it in via the Woolly hugs just giving page so it can be doubled by mums net hq or can I just fwd a cheque directly to WWC and let hq know how much?

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 08-Oct-13 19:53:11

well....

<looks round for Justine>

I would say if it is OK, pay it into the Woolly Hugs Just Giving page Justine said she would match fund that amount. So everything you have rasied will be doubled. Brilliant!

And thank you so much, you really are marvellous X

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 08-Oct-13 19:54:04

And Jelly - you did AMAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZINGLYYYYYYYYYY well!

Well done you! wine

jellybrain Tue 08-Oct-13 22:02:42

Thanks Pistey. I've collected most of the money promised now and will pay it in on Thursday orFriday when I'm next in the office ( it's in my locker). Should be over £150 by the time it's all in plus £20 or so which has gone to WWC through my personalJG page.
DH still needs to sponsor me too- I have not forgottenwink

jellybrain Thu 10-Oct-13 17:35:10

Just sent a photo to Woolly hugs emailblush

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 10-Oct-13 18:20:56

You look great!! Can we share it? smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 11-Oct-13 08:06:06

Got your email. Will put it on a bit later!

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 11-Oct-13 08:52:56

ooooooo and it is on Facebook grin

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Fri 11-Oct-13 13:00:01

-Fab picture, you liik great jelly!

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Fri 11-Oct-13 13:00:33

LOOKsmile

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Sat 12-Oct-13 23:14:24

Best wishes for tomorrow's Woolly Runnersthanks thanks thanks thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now