Woolly Hugs does Running..... Running?? Yep, RUNNING!!

(971 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 31-Jan-13 19:48:37

Woolly Hugs Guide to Running

1) Put down your woolly wool,crochet hooks and needles. <we have done risk assessment>
2) Find your trainers, these are sort of soft bouncy shoe-things that go on your feet.
3) Find something loose and comfortable to wear, and no we don't mean a caftan.
4) Open front door and go outside shock
5) Put one foot in front of the other with speed and determination!

YOU are RUNNING!!

If you haven't seen Phase 2 of our Little Hugs, the thread is HERE. We launched this phase as a tribute to beautiful Billie, our lovely MrsDeVere's daughter, who devastatingly died at 14 from leukaemia. We launched this at the time of her 21st birthday and we call the project Billie's Blankets in her memory. In her name, and through World Child Cancer, we will send little blankets to children, starting with Malawi and Bangladesh, who really need a Woolly Hug and to feel loved and looked after.

Alongside Billie's Blankets, we are very keen to send a donation to World Child Cancer, as money is scarce, they really have so little. One of the ways we will do this is by running! <faints> In May a Woolly Hugs' team will be running the BUPA London 10k, and we are now looking for runners to enter 5K runs throughout the country.

These are where the 5K runs will take place?.. They are all over!

There are already runners committed to running (BIWI, TantrumsandBalloons,me) in London at Crystal Palace on October 13th, and lovely Fizzy and PrettyBird are running in the Glasgow event on July 27th. We would love folk to join with us, or run at a different venue! There is no minimum age and children can be entered, my daughter is running with me, I say with, she will shoot off like a gazelle and I will lumber along. Happily the website says they love fancy dress <*Knotty*, this is time to contemplate something spectacular>

Because World Child Cancer isn't a nominated charity we/they ask that you let them know independently. To take pressure off individuals, and to make this a real woolly community effort we recommend that you use our Woolly Hugs Just Giving page for fundraising. Anything you raise will be marvellous, really, and we will all be able to see how much we can raise together.

Our Just Giving Page is HERE Donations are welcome at any time, huge thanks for those already in.

So please have a think, if you are interested, we would recommend entering soon to avoid disappointment. Let us know when you have entered so we can cheer you on, and please use this thread for support, and general running things <hazy> Couch to 5K apps and playlists for running spring to mind.

The children that WCC support need all the love and comfort possible. So please, in memory of a sparkling young girl who always thought of others, we'd love you to help us help them.

As ever, thank you so much for your support thanks

Thinking of Billie and her family Xx

Knotty and Pistey

thanks

EarnestDullard Fri 29-Mar-13 16:01:43

4 miles this morning here too, in spite of being up several times in the night with DD2, getting up in the morning with the DDs while DH slept in as usual and still feeling a bit snotty. Glad I did it, but might need an early night tonight!

BIWI Fri 29-Mar-13 17:03:59

I finished week 7 this morning!

Well done Earnest and BIWI!

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Fri 29-Mar-13 19:32:29

Well done earnest, shredded and biwi.

Sadly i let the side down after a busy morning taking three boys to the cinema the fairground and then the park my plans for a run failed as i then had a nap with the little two madthings. Dp off work this wkend tho so can run tomorrow and sunday smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 30-Mar-13 15:43:35

smile

Afternoon

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Sat 30-Mar-13 17:51:19

Afternoon. Literally just back from my run. Did just over 6.5km and felt good having not run for a week. I was worried it would be hard having not run for a week but actually it was fine and i ran solidly for 35mins and then slowed a bit to cool down for last few mins. Feel like i could have kept going, so lovely out the snow from this morning has gone and its cold but sunny, nice and crisp iykwim?

Hope everyone is having a lovely easter weekend smile

MrsDeVere Sat 30-Mar-13 17:57:22

Hello
Well done all you woolly runners!

I went to the gym this morning.
Its open all over the Easter break so I can go tomorrow and monday too smile

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Sat 30-Mar-13 18:02:31

What do you do at your gym mrsdevere we have a rowing machine at home expensive waste of money dp rarely uses i may have a go on it actually.

Well done 5mad and MrsDV!

2.5 miles done here today along the river path. Cold here too.

Hope the Easter Bunny is good to all of you smile!

MrsDeVere Sat 30-Mar-13 20:37:05

I just use the running machine. I bloody hate running outside and there isn't really anywhere to run round here.

The local park has been waterlogged for over a year and the pavements are terrible and roads very busy.

So I train on the treadmill. Its not ideal but it got me through last time.

Apparently the step machine is very good for training for a run too.

And squat jumps.

EarnestDullard Sat 30-Mar-13 21:23:24

Are you in East London MrsDV? I used to work in Whitechapel, can't imagine running round there tbh smile My favourite place to run is Hampstead Heath; I used to live a few miles away from it and would run there, do a circuit, and run back. Now I've moved further away, I'd have to drive there and back, so I stick to the (quiet, residential) streets or smaller nearby parks. Oh, and that was pre-DC, when I had th time to spend two hours running every weekend!

MrsDeVere Sat 30-Mar-13 21:37:16

Yes I am in Walthamstow. Lots of small roads so lots and lots of kerbs and stopping for traffic.
Pavements are dodgy and narrow.

Its a right pain now the park is so boggy.

I prefer the gym. I can read my kindle whilst running <not a naturally sporty type> grin

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Sat 30-Mar-13 21:46:29

I always think that i would fall over on a running machine, they look scary! I used to go to the gym and use the bikes and the step machine and some weights. Or else i swim, 80lengths in an hour but i have to bike to the pool and then seim and then shower and moisturise because if my eczema and then bike home and its a pita especially in the cold. I will go swimming again once the weather warms up...

Running is easyish to fit in and i am lucky the paths are ok, some roads to cross but as long as i time my run they arent too busy. Its all well lit with streetlights as well and i see other runners. Its quite easy to add bits to make my loop a bit bigger as well which is good. Its just fitting in around dp's shifts thats a pita, but he is off tomorrow so i can run then.

I have noticed i have a little blister on the end of one of my toes! Not underneath, on the end by the nail, odd but it doesnt hurt.

Oooh i meant to ask todays annoyance was my underwear, my knickers kept going up my bum! Any tips on best style knickers that wont ride up? Can you get running knickers?! grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 31-Mar-13 08:52:03

Morning running chums.

Today's training involves Easter Egg eating. That's Official.

smile

Hmmm, running knickers....

There was a running thread a while ago where some of them said they <whispers in horror> went commando shock.

As a modest sort myself I wear big granny knickers under my running tights. Gives a horrible VPL, but better than the lady I saw running in a thong a few weeks ago <eeeeewwwww>

As I didn't manage to Run Every Day In March I've now agreed to Run Every Day In April with a girlfriend. She's in the southern USA, so somewhat warmer than here smile. 3.9 miles for me today.

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Mon 01-Apr-13 17:33:23

Yes bigger is better but shorts style are not good and keep going up my bum...

Waiting for dp to get in then I will be going for a run, need it having spent the day doing a mega blitz of bedrooms....four bin liner of rubbish and stuff for charity....how long till the rooms are a mess again?!

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Mon 01-Apr-13 19:21:06

Just back from my run. Completed wk 7 and ran through the cool down, 6.5km in 38mins, the wind was a killer tho!

MrsDeVere Mon 01-Apr-13 20:18:45

I went to the gym today.
Ran.
I am working on my stamina.
Not doing too badly although I may end up doing the 10k stop start.
But as long as I get round I will be ok.
Particularly if if I beat last year's time of 1.14/15/16 (can't remember exact time).

BIWI Mon 01-Apr-13 20:49:23

I wear big pants underneath my running tights. Because I'm wearing tracksuit bottoms over my running tights I thought I would dispense with knickers the other day, but it was really uncomfortable!

I completed Week 8/run 1 today, with an average pace of 6.49, which is OK. I also used MapMyRun app, and that told me that I ran 4.11K. I'm pretty happy with that. Looks like I'll be able to do 5K in just over half an hour, which seems brilliant - never ever thought that would be the case.

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Mon 01-Apr-13 21:04:33

Thats a great pace biwi my pace was 7:09 today which i was pleased with given the wind! i cant believe i have gone from thinking 10mins if running would kill me to now running for half an hour and more and feeling like i could carry on smile plus i am now halfway through couchto10k!

mrsdevere megbussett and i have said we plan on just getting round we wont be fast but would like to do it in an hour and 15mins. I am never going to break any records or be remotely fast but am just quite pleased i can keep going for hald an hour.

Is there a specific way of increasing speed with training?

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 02-Apr-13 07:58:31

I will be SO proud of you all if you get round, stop start is GOOD.

Morning brew smile

Morning brew

Great work MrsDV, 5mad and BIWI grin.

What do you mean if we get round pistey, of course we will wink

5mad if you are intent on increasing your speed you need to do short and fast interval runs - for instance, once you've nailed the distance and have built up the stamina to run for an hour or longer, you could go back to the start of C25K, and sprint the running bits and jog the walking bits smile.

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 02-Apr-13 08:11:54

WHEN obvs grin

I'm going to be at the end with Frank, and we will have something special for the Blanketeers!

grin

The thought of something special at the end will make us go twice as fast grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 02-Apr-13 08:14:38

We'll get to the end early then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now