Blanket for lemontruffles : lovely crafters, donors, we are calling for your help.

(1038 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Jan-13 12:22:59

Very sad news I'm afraid. Lemontruffles' husband died this week on New Year's Day after living with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Such devastating news. Our hearts go out to her. In her own words, he was the love of her life.
sad

We have offered to make a blanket for her, and are so pleased that she has said she would love one. She is clearly so very moved by our offer and has said she is astonished at the kindness of strangers. We will all be holding her hand and hope that she will feel the love and support from us all, and that the blanket will bring whatever comfort it can.

Lemontruffles writes so movingly on her thread about her beloved husband, and has shared many memories, bless her heart. her thread is HERE. You will not fail to be moved by the love and warmth of her posts about him.

So to the Woolly Hug, we would be very grateful for your help.

We will need crocheters, knitters and donors (of funds or wool) I will co ordinate and do admin, and Knotty (KnottyLocks) is here and will help you with any queries you may have.

So if you are able to join with us, please PM me, and also if you are offering to donate, or need a donor, I can help match you up.

Thank you so much.
thanks

The wool we are using:
* Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK (not the Baby cashmerino)
* Rowan Cashsoft DK
* Sublime Extra Fine Merino Wool DK.
* Artesano Superwash Merino DK.

Just from these yarns please as they are very similar and we know they can be combined for wash and wear.

4mm crochet hook or knitting needles
6 inch squares

The Colours
Lemontruffles has spoken so movingly about her husband's love for the countryside of North Wales, and to reflect that passion how she sees the blanket as a landscape, so :

Greens, darker purples, blues, silvers, cream.

If going for cream please use Debbie Bliss cashmerino DK 013
(Not bright colours for this please, and no pinks or lilacs, thank you)

Just sharing some of her words about him
He was Welsh and loved the countryside of North Wales especially. He loved walking. He loved going to the pub and having the biggest laugh he could. He had a fantastic sense of humour and he loved having fun. He was warm hearted, he had a spirit of pure generosity - though with a 'sticking point' stubborn streak! - he was no angel. He was very adventurous about life. He was a proper hippy in the 60s and 70s. He had an amazing memory for all sorts of things, and a very wide ranging and strange knowledge of very odd things. Such an interesting man. A man with endless and deep humanity towards all the people he met. He was very well loved. He had a deep maturity and wisdom about other people.

Oh, and music! Not male voice choirs! Rock and blues from the 60s and 70s, and the manic street preachers. He had great taste. Also photographs. He was always photographing things, all sorts of random things, all sorts of bits of nature, and landscapes. He loved his camera.

Suggestions for motifs
* Any motifs of the natural world - trees, leaves, flowers, birds (esp crows )
* Can anyone find a Welsh dragon design or a harp? We'd love to find these for her.
* Anything to reflect he was a Welshman.
* Music, photography related
* We have an initial, could you PM me if this is something you'd like to do.

There are many relevant patterns for knitters and crocheters linked to from our website under Crafting

Reading her words gives us lots of motifs to think about for sure, but please don't feel daunted by these suggestions, we love plain squares and simple textures too. They look as stunning as the more complex squares and actually play a vital role in the overall effect.

Previous blankets can be seen on our website. We also have a Facebook page MNWoollyHugs and are on Twitter @MNWoollyHugs. If you 'like' or 'follow' us you'll be updated on progress via your feed.

As always, we thank you so much for your support.
Thinking of lemontruffles Xx

Pistey and Knotty
thanks

Umm <shuffles in, not looking Pistey in the eye> umm, Miss, I haven't got round to posting mine yet.

That's because I had to frog it several times because it was too big, and ended up knitting it on the flight over. Then I realised I didn't have a darning needle, and haven't got round to buying one yet. So I can either post the square and the nork with peskies, or wait until the weekend, sort my life out, and send it later.

What would you rather?

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 05-Feb-13 20:15:06

Evening chums wine

Shredded lovely - send, I'll do your peskies smile

Rosie - I was out this morning, but there was a red card waiting when I got home, so hopefully Ian is tucked up in the sorting office. If it is him, I hope he is behaving. confused

Otherworld It takes a good while, there are some ahead of it that we are working on. But as you can see squares are still coming, it really has been the most amazing response. In the fullness of time, and the blanket goes to lemon, we will link to a photo album of the completed blanket on the website from Facebook, this thread and Twitter. thanks

Fizzy I love the jammie dodger!

MNPin2013 Tue 05-Feb-13 21:42:36

Fizzy that Jammie dodger is fab, could be appliqués to a plate perhaps.

WeAreSix Tue 05-Feb-13 22:02:42

I'm pleased to report I've successfully cast on, knitted a few rows and I've kept the same amount of stitches all the time smile

I know I'm too late for this blanket but the thread has inspired me and I'll definitely help with the next one

Trazzletoes Tue 05-Feb-13 22:52:49

I've now crocheted in a circle and <gasp> more than 1 colour! But that's another thread.

Pistey, my squares are done. Hoping to get the opportunity to post them soon. They want to be with their woolly chums.

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 06-Feb-13 06:57:42

Morning all smile

Six You finish the square and PM me for the address, you won't be too late and we'd love to have it thanks

<squeeeeeeeeaaaaaal> at more than one colour!

Oh Trazzle - we could have a whole thread discussing how brilliant we are

<shuffles off in the direction of caffeine, contemplating a title>
<a title without the words 'slug union'>

BIWI Wed 06-Feb-13 08:20:27

Yay WeAreSix! It feels like a massive achievement, doesn't it?!

WeAreSix Wed 06-Feb-13 09:42:16

My mum has tried to teach me for years and failed so I'm very pleased that in one evening I've done it smile

The wool I've got is baby pink piste so no good for this blanket. If I get to Hobbycraft in the next day or so I'll grab some if the right colour wool and see if I can get a square done. It took me about an hour to do 20 stitches / 7 rows smile

Back to it.... I feel knitting will take over an no housework will get done!

Six and Trazzle well done both of you. My gran tought me to knit, far too many years ago than I care to mention, but I have just taught myself to crochet and do feel rather chuffed with myself.
Oh and Six you are right you will get nothing done lol.

Jacksmania Wed 06-Feb-13 18:46:04

Pistey, have my squares arrived yet? Just wondering how long it takes from here to the UK. I sent them around the 28th, I think.

BIWI Wed 06-Feb-13 18:56:28

Do you know, I have no memory at all of who taught me to knit?! I know I was knitting when I was at primary school, in the fourth year (as we used to call it), because I remember being told off for doing it in class blush. I suspect it was a bit of a fad, as I was knitting a scarf, which I never, ever finished.

I can't think it would have been my mum, because she wasn't enamoured of crafty things either.

fraktion Wed 06-Feb-13 19:01:03

<joins Rosie in the fretting>

Ours were posted a tad late and I know it takes forever for international post but it's still slightly worrisome...

RedRosie Wed 06-Feb-13 19:34:06

Rosie happens to know that Ian arrived safely, so is no longer fretting on her own behalf.

I can fret for England though, so will fret furiously until all woolly parcels are received.

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 06-Feb-13 19:37:37

Evening wine

sad Sadly no international post today. It will come tomorrow

<fingers crossed>
<pats Ian>

Just about to come with thank yous thanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 06-Feb-13 20:13:01

thanksthanksthanks

And here we are, with lovely, lovely woolly treasure, enormous thanks to all lovely crafters for all your love, thought and care. Folk never fail to amaze.

thanksthanksthanks

thanks RedRosie Ian is here! I love Ian the Interim Sheep, he is adorable! Knitted in dark green, just fabulous [star]

thanks Minniebar Two beautiful purple knits, one is a lovely oak leaf, really super [star]

thanks Jules146 Beautiful crocheted squares in greens and denim and one a 9 small square, just lovely [star]

thanks HairyPotter A beautiful silvery grey crow patterned knit and a lovely apple green sort of cable knit. Awesome [star]

We will look after all cards until the time comes for them to travel with the blanket. thanksthanks

Heartfelt thanks to all, what an amazing response thanksthanksthanks

Jules146 Wed 06-Feb-13 20:31:16

Yay! Gad they arrived safe and sound smile

Mermaidspam Thu 07-Feb-13 14:10:10

Very very sorry for my lateness but my squares are winging their way to you Pistey (with a little pressie for you).

x

Mine went into the post today - sorry for being late!

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 08-Feb-13 07:00:16

Huge apologies not to have done thank yous yesterday, ended up with a bonkers evening.

thanks thanks thanks thanks Beautiful woolly treasure has arrived safely, and it really is absolutely lovely Thank you so much to the crafters for their love, care and thought. thanks thanks thanks thanks

thanks Teamfraktion A beautiful silver cable type knit from fraktion and a lovely teal and cream crocheted square from her au pair. Both smashing [star]

thanks Snapespeare Lovely denim blue knits, a lovely flowery lacy pattern and a heart too [star]

thanks Schooldidi Three beautiful crochet, stunning 3D trees, a bird pattern and a heart made from the treble clef and the bass clef. Very clever! [star]

Huge thanks to all, just beautiful thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 08-Feb-13 07:00:44

No apologies for lateness needed, we really do understand thanks thanks thanks thanks

WeAreSix Fri 08-Feb-13 16:23:33

Have I still got time? What size square? I'm hoping I can get some wool & do a square this weekend. I really want to contribute smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 08-Feb-13 20:24:02

Yes, plenty of time Six, squares to be 6 inches, thank you X thanks

Flojobunny Fri 08-Feb-13 21:14:51

Pistey did my square arrive? I sent it last friday so I was expecting u to get it on Monday.

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 08-Feb-13 21:17:10

Oh not yet Flo sad

Hopefully they have just gone the scenic route and will be here tomorrow X

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 08-Feb-13 21:31:05

thanksthanksthanksthanks Beautiful woolly treasure arriving this morning, heartfelt thanks to the crafters for your care, thought and love which has gone into every stitch of these squares thanksthanksthanksthanks

thanks NeitherShreddedNorSmug Two intertwined trees, knitted in green, so very lovely and just perfect [star]

thanks MermaidSpam Beautiful crochet in purple, cream and blue, lovely grannies, stripes and textures, beautiful [star]

thanks workhouse Bobbles!! Beautiful bobbles, one all in purple, the other in lines of green, duck egg and cream, stunning [star]

All so gorgeous, thank you so much everyone X

thanksthanksthanksthanks
thanksthanksthanksthanks
thanksthanksthanksthanks
thanksthanksthanksthanks
thanksthanksthanksthanks
thanksthanksthanksthanks
thanksthanksthanksthanks
thanksthanksthanksthanks
thanksthanksthanksthanks
smile
wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now