Come and cheer Buffy on through the final 20k words of her thesis.

(308 Posts)

Terribly self-indulgent thread, I hope you don't mind?

Bit of background, I started my PhD part-time when ds was very little. Had maternity leave from it with dd a year or so later, didn't have much in the way of supervision for a long time, fell out with supervisor, got a new one last year.

Meanwhile, I got a proper academic post. Sort of mid-level, SL equivalent though at the moment I am doing no teaching. I have won funding, published, all that.

So I feel that the PhD is a little bit of an irrelevance now, just a box to be ticked. But I am determined to finish it, because it has been the source of so much angst. And while I enjoy it when I am writing, it can be difficult to find the motivation to get on with it and I feel guilty when I work on it because I think I should be doing other things.

So, I have decided to write 2,000 words per working day for the next two weeks, which should result in the whole thing being a complete (though very rough) draft. I am making a commitment to do this on here to help me stick to it.

It would be lovely and really, really helpful if people could cheer me on grin

I have done 500 so far today, though I have actually written close of 4k, it's just 3.5k were for something else.

Thanks y'all smile

GingerMaman Thu 20-Mar-14 13:00:17

Go go, you can do it! smile

kelda Thu 20-Mar-14 13:01:40

Go for it!

Thanks smile

Now I will be off to do another 500 after I have popped out for some energy boosting chocolate

LurcioLovesFrankie Thu 20-Mar-14 13:07:07

yay, go Buffy.

Chocolate is your friend!

And just remember, PhDs are actually proof of having the sheer bloody mindedness to finish the bloody thing, nothing more, nothing less...

UptoapointLordCopper Thu 20-Mar-14 13:14:49

Go buffy!

MooncupGoddess Thu 20-Mar-14 13:15:29

Good luck Buffy. I can see that finishing the thesis feels annoying when in many ways you're well beyond that stage, but my experience is that academia does expect people to have PhDs so it will certainly come in useful in future.

Also, you'll feel amazing when you've done it!

TunipTheUnconquerable Thu 20-Mar-14 13:20:18

Targets are the way to go - I think this thread is a very good plan. Not self-indulgent at all to be cheered on. It really helps IME.

Go you! Keep at it!

MadamBatShit Thu 20-Mar-14 13:25:39

Good stuff! Expect you to reach your target for today!
Chocolate is good.. keep the energy levels up.

little jumping around with pompoms... remember Buffy trying out for cheerleader? I think there was blood..
I'll do a crazy dance instead, after you have reached your goal today!

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 20-Mar-14 13:29:58

When I was doing my dissertation (not really comparable to a PhD I know) I made a playlist. I would tell myself I had to write a certain amount of words, then I could have a manic dance around to relieve tension. The playlist included the Pokemon Rap, so you know it's good.

GO BUFFY GO GO GO!

<pants>

OK, that's another 500 done. They might be self indulgent waffle about resisting traditional conceptions of research, but goddammit, they're words.

Now chocolate.

Then more words.

Thanks everyone, this is really helping. smile

SconeRhymesWithGone Thu 20-Mar-14 13:35:31

Go, Buffy! I think we should all reward ourselves with something nice each day you reach your target. And I love that you said y'all (US Southerner here.) smile

dotty2 Thu 20-Mar-14 13:39:07

I submitted my phd 3 weeks ago. I feel your pain - I did find the last furlong a slog. But you are so nearly there, and you will feel mightily relieved when it is all done. Go Buffy!

TunipTheUnconquerable Thu 20-Mar-14 13:48:25

Excellent idea, Scone <eats creme brulee to celebrate Buffy reaching 1000>

benid Thu 20-Mar-14 13:50:32

Go for it! grin

SconeRhymesWithGone Thu 20-Mar-14 13:51:02

I am going for Key lime pie. grin

Brrrrr, it's cold out there.

I am now the proud owner of a Lindt chocolate bunny. Well, technically, half a bunny now blush.

Right, more words...

MadamBatShit Thu 20-Mar-14 14:27:12

Silly pic for cheering along, inspired by your half bunny.. It's Dutch so I'll translate:

left hand bunny: My bum hurts

right hand bunny: What?

grin sorry, I'm a kid.

gringrin

RabbitFromAHat Thu 20-Mar-14 14:31:10

I finished mine in December Buffy, so I remember the pain well! GO!

KaseyM Thu 20-Mar-14 14:37:14

Buffy. Just think people will have to call you Doctor.

People will have to treat you with RESPECT and when any patriarchal nomarks address you as "oi sweetheart!" you will be able to snootily say "That's Dr. Buffy to you"!

Dr. Buffy theReasonableFeminist

<preens>

<gets back to work>

CaptChaos Thu 20-Mar-14 14:43:22

Go Buffy!

The only downside I can see is someone introducing you to strangers as Dr theReasonableFeminist and you being treated to long involved stories about people's awful hysterectomies etc before you can get a word in edgeways. Or maybe that's just nurses.

One day, this shall be me!

Right that's another 500 done.

500 more and Scone can have her key lime pie grin

When it is you Capt I will cheer you on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now