So why do "events" feel the need to have good looking women holding card etc?

(35 Posts)
kim147 Sat 06-Jul-13 08:36:38

Slight link to the Formula 1 thread but just noticed something else

It was a report on BBC breakfast showing the USA Annual Hot Dog eating championships grin

There were 3 men eating away - and behind, in cheerleader type outfits, were 3 attractive women holding up the placards for each competitor.

Why? It's everywhere. There would be no way a young man would be holding up a card, is there?

They are posing like female pin ups pose. It is supposed to make people think about how men and women are represented differently in images like these.

But I don't expect you'll be wanting to understand that, because then you'd have to stop scattering random cookie cutter insults liberally around FWR and think for yourself smile

offal1 Mon 08-Jul-13 11:39:13

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

They are posing like female pin ups pose. It is supposed to make people think about how men and women are represented differently in images like these.

Let me try another way to say it.

When men pose in this way, it is silly, funny, lighthearted, whatever. When women do it, it's not silly, funny, lighthearted, its normal because women tend to be presented in this way for men's sexual titillation.

You might not understand this, doesn't make it untrue.

offal1 Mon 08-Jul-13 12:06:33

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

offal1 Mon 08-Jul-13 12:07:22

slug Mon 08-Jul-13 12:13:00

I think you are spectacularly missing the point offal1, or is it just that you don't want to see it?

slug Mon 08-Jul-13 12:15:44

I think offal is <drum roll> spectacularly missing the point on purpose because if s/he didn't miss it, s/he might have to examine one or two of her/his ignorant assumptions about feminists.

Shhh, don't tell anyone.

slug Mon 08-Jul-13 12:42:34
KarlosKKrinkelbeim Mon 08-Jul-13 12:50:53

I am bemused by the growth of cheerleading in this country. Our nanny was in the cheerleading team at her university (a very good one, though not oxford or Cambridge). no such thing existed when I was an undergraduate. if anyone had asked me or any of my female friends if we wanted to be cheerleaders we'd have laughed ourselves sick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now