So why do "events" feel the need to have good looking women holding card etc?

(35 Posts)
kim147 Sat 06-Jul-13 08:36:38

Slight link to the Formula 1 thread but just noticed something else

It was a report on BBC breakfast showing the USA Annual Hot Dog eating championships grin

There were 3 men eating away - and behind, in cheerleader type outfits, were 3 attractive women holding up the placards for each competitor.

Why? It's everywhere. There would be no way a young man would be holding up a card, is there?

scallopsrgreat Sat 06-Jul-13 08:51:32

Because men 'do'. Women 'adorn'. Society tells us this everywhere.

scallopsrgreat Sat 06-Jul-13 08:52:14

And even when women 'do' they have to 'adorn' too.

That's what I was trying to say on the F1 thread. I used far, far too many words and much whimsy to try and explain 'men do, women adorn'

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Sat 06-Jul-13 09:59:37

The male gaze needs something to rest on. And it had better be young and pretty.

specialsubject Sat 06-Jul-13 13:54:02

that's America for you.

remember these women are quite happy to be paid to make fools of themselves like this.

It happens in the UK too special. See the F1 thread.

MyHumpsMyLovelyBabyBumps Sat 06-Jul-13 15:32:28

Do you think instead of playing the game and not being sexist we would find it easier to just just turn it on it's head?

Would men get it if they were walking down the street, belly hanging out of their shirt and getting abuse from women for it? Whilst simultaneously staring at a high street full of advertising designed to tell them they need more of this to lose more of that, wear this, cover that, uncover that? And sexualised skimpy dressed dancing men draped all over the place?

I tried to make that point on the F1 thread, with an analogy that I really enjoyed writing, but another poster thought was both lame and sadistic.

Nobody else has commented on it.

I'm not upset about the lack of attention it has received.

<sob>

scallopsrgreat Sat 06-Jul-13 17:56:41

I got your analogy Buffy (((hugs)))

You did?

<breaks into uncontrollable sobs>

It's ok. I'm OK, really. Really.

specialsubject Sat 06-Jul-13 18:31:59

I suppose it does happen in the UK too - I'm not really into spectator sport so wouldn't know.

my original point stands. As long as women are prepared to do it, it will keep happening.

What's the point of that point though, special?

Women are prepared to do it, it will keep happening... and?

MiniTheMinx Sat 06-Jul-13 19:14:04

and they get paid for it.

KaseyM Sun 07-Jul-13 07:18:34

"my original point stands. As long as women are prepared to do it, it will keep happening."

So that's it is it? Because some women do it, the rest of us just have to put up with it?

kim147 Sun 07-Jul-13 07:45:30

The video of the event

www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2013/jul/05/joey-chestnut-eats-69-hot-dogs-video

I suppose it does come down to the argument that there are women prepared to use their looks to earn money so this thing will go on unless a sea change in attitude takes place and the "demand" to see women on show stops.

Or an alternative solution might be that it's fine for them to keep doing it so long as our cultural disdain for women, which is cleverly disguised as appreciation and admiration of us, changes.

Then it really, really won't matter if there are some women who are paid to be decorative and not much else, because they won't make a jot of difference for the rest of us.

So, that's easy then. Let's make it so! grin

scallopsrgreat Sun 07-Jul-13 09:44:39

As this type of thing is demand driven, not supply driven any solution has to hit the demand side i.e. the men and organisations that think this is OK.

Yes, therein lies the rub sad

Kiriwawa Sun 07-Jul-13 10:04:17

I drove past a lorry for some trendy flooring company the other day. It looked like they had some really interesting designs from the back of the lorry and I was making a note of their name to look them up when I got home.

However, as I passed the side of the lorry, there was a photo of a woman pouting on a chair set on one of their rugs (which was just about ok) and then a bit further along, a different photo of the same woman. No carpet, no chair (so no actual product), just her close up smouldering at the camera.

So, no custom from me!

I would like to get to a point where it seems absurd and antiquated to employ women as decorative objects. And that the point where someone comes up with that design for their lorries is laughed out of the design room for being hopelessly out of touch with the zeitgeist.

Maybe this should go mainstream. Makes a good point.

MiniTheMinx Mon 08-Jul-13 07:58:28

scallopsrgreat I am not so certain that this is demand driven, well not in the sense that men collectively demand women adorn everything from sporting events to hamburger adds. I think it is corporate driven. We have a surplus of commodities, a huge array of choice and dwindling income and in many cases leisure time. There is so much competing for our time and money. Do they not try to tap into those areas in the brain that release endorphins in the belief that the feel-good factor produces impulsive actions.

kerala Mon 08-Jul-13 11:23:29

DH and I watching Tour de France last night (well he was I was MNing on my phone!). Two attractive women in yellow dresses on either side of winner of the yellow jumper stage or whatever thing it is in cycling. What is the point of them? They just stood there as far as I could see. Shouldn't they be off in a womens cycling event rather than loitering around clapping and smiling?

offal1 Mon 08-Jul-13 11:25:48

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

offal1 Mon 08-Jul-13 11:28:12

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now