Music for feminists

(43 Posts)
AmandaPandtheTantrumofDoom Sun 23-Jun-13 14:01:29

The recent thread on the Wanted made me realise how, these days, masses of current pop music irritates the hell out of me.

So, what do you lot all listen to that doesn't make you feel stabby and/or depressed? Not specifically looking for feminist music, just not anti-feminist.

GingerPCatt Sun 23-Jun-13 14:03:36

I sometimes listen to music in other languages. Since I can understand the lyrics any sexism doesn't annoy me. Or try more instrumental music so no obnoxious lyrics.

GingerPCatt Sun 23-Jun-13 14:06:54

Forgot to add, what type of music do you like?
For instrumental-ish stuff I'd recommend rodrigo y Gabrielle and Apocalyptica.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sun 23-Jun-13 14:12:52

I may be flamed here as her videos don't do feminism any favours but Beyonce writes some great lyrics. I always want to quote her on the relationships board. Also Kelly Clarkson blush.

I'm watching 'No 1s of the Noughties' on 4Music ATM) and a lot of cheesy pop music (Christina, Sugarbabes, Destiny's Child, Girls Aloud etc) has quite positive messages to women (being stronger, getting by without a man, having your own money) but it is always undercut by videos showing the artist/s grinding their vagina at the camera hmm

AmandaPandtheTantrumofDoom Sun 23-Jun-13 14:19:17

What sort of music do I like? Well, in all honesty, I have never truly left my teenage Brit pop origins behind. I will always have a soft spot for anything bouncy!

Other than that, I'm fairly eclectic. Er, today I have been listening to Pink, Andy Burrows, the new Deacon Blue. But will listen to most stuff. Not massively into dance or trance type music, or hip hop.

Good suggestion for other languages!

Tondelayo - I just can't get past those videos. Though I do like a few Beyoncé songs. Kelly Clarkson is good car listening I find smile

YoniBottsBumgina Sun 23-Jun-13 14:21:31

I have been listening to a lot of female artists recently. KT Tunstall is great, Birdy, I like Taylor Swift too blush but she is very much "Some day my prince will come" with her lyrics although she has some stuff about realisation of a good relationship after abusive ones.

I don't watch music videos as they just depress me.

Pop type stuff I like at the moment is Katy Perry, Bridgit Mendler, and Emily Sande although not that awful duet she has done. I haven't listened massively in detail to any of their lyrics but they don't stand out to me as being annoyingly sexist.

I keep meaning to write a proper blog about sexism in music, I started it but forgot to keep it up blush

YoniBottsBumgina Sun 23-Jun-13 14:23:07

I made this (two years ago according to youtube!) I don't know how many of the video links are now dead because I don't go on youtube very much for music any more but it might have a few ideas smile

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL25A94D6E366D0E71

Ani DiFranco is well known as a feminist singer and I love some of her songs.

YoniBottsBumgina Sun 23-Jun-13 14:23:14
zippey Sun 23-Jun-13 14:23:41

Alanis Morrisette, Pink, Moah and The Whale, Coldplay, Radiohead, Artic Monkeys?

YoniBottsBumgina Sun 23-Jun-13 14:24:16

Oh and Ellie Goulding for current pop artists which I love!

YoniBottsBumgina Sun 23-Jun-13 14:25:02

YY Pink as well. She's awesome.

YoniBottsBumgina Sun 23-Jun-13 14:30:38

I also prefer rock music as it tends to be about being awesome rather than being about bitchez all the time. I'm enjoying Black Stone Cherry at the moment. Avoid Don Broco though, they are terrible for sexism.

skrumle Sun 23-Jun-13 18:32:08

Last time there was a discussion thread about listening to women musicians i bought a couple of albums as a result and really liked them. i now mainly listen to women - Sia, Nicola Roberts, Miss Dynamite, Beyonce, Pink, Emeli Sande, Laura Mvula, Gwen Stefani, Florence and the Machine.

I don't really listen to them but what about Lana Del Reay or Ellie Goulding or Paloma Faith?

Fraxinus Sun 23-Jun-13 18:34:46

Other languages..... I used to really enjoy reggaeton. Until a Spanish friend translated some of the lyrics for me.... Yuck!

Tori Amos.

I don't really listen to much else tbh.

TheDoctrineOfAllan Sun 23-Jun-13 19:55:51

Just popping off to Advanced Search Music in FWR...

TheDoctrineOfAllan Sun 23-Jun-13 20:02:17
ThirdTimesABrokenFanjo Tue 25-Jun-13 20:05:34

Cough Cough [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTvg5JK7Qjw try this]

ThirdTimesABrokenFanjo Tue 25-Jun-13 20:06:32

Hip hop. Not the mainstream shite, underground stuff.

Bumpstarter Sat 29-Jun-13 22:32:48

real woman.

I gave I whole thread of its own... But I'll park it here too.

ninah Sat 29-Jun-13 22:36:29

musical apartheid aside, patti smith usually makes me feel fine

GoshAnneGorilla Sun 30-Jun-13 01:46:19

Sleater-Kinney and Lunachicks are two of my favourite bands ever.

Fallopian Rhapsody by the latter is probably the best Pro Choice song ever:https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=fallopian%20rhapsody&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDAQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNqLpAmBMW8c&ei=kn_PUbfWFaep4AS4-oGgCw&usg=AFQjCNGx96btuSKev33cIqDG4FVtmTvlyQ&sig2=PS2utwoj3up4kzsRk3KQMQ&bvm=bv.48572450,d.bGE

GoshAnneGorilla Sun 30-Jun-13 01:47:17

Working link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqLpAmBMW8c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

GoshAnneGorilla Sun 30-Jun-13 01:47:50

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now