Keeping the speed limit at 70

(58 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Trills Sat 22-Jun-13 11:48:06

What are the arguments for raising the speed limit vs keeping it the same?

Is there any evidence that it would be safer, or that it would help people to get where they are going faster without being any less safe? Or is there a compromise, and it would be less safe, but some people think it's an acceptable amount of change?

I am imagining here that the generalisation is that women care more about safety

The question is whether they are saying:
1 - women care more about safety and would not be happy with the compromise
2 - women care more about safety and would be worried that this is less safe even though it isn't

Trills Sat 22-Jun-13 11:48:39

You could say that it's insulting to men, if they are saying "men like to drive fast and don't really think about safety as being important because they imagine it ^won't happen to them^"

Trills Sat 22-Jun-13 11:49:44

All political decisions about how to appeal to different demographics of voters are based on generalisations. The insultingness of those generalisations varies...

BasilBabyEater Sat 22-Jun-13 11:52:01

I'm guessing there must be evidence that women as a group are less in favour of the speed limit being raised than men as a group are.

Anyone know?

Trills Sat 22-Jun-13 12:17:25

I didn't even know it was being suggested so I'm no use!

Rufus43 Sat 22-Jun-13 13:32:23

The times headline says "female votes put the brake on 80mph speed limit" which suggests that we have already voted no.

yamsareyammy Sat 22-Jun-13 13:38:58

Well, I am definitely in a household where I want it to stay the same, and DH wants it raised.
A study of 1 .
There are boy racers.
Are there girl racers?

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Sat 22-Jun-13 13:52:41

I think what irritates me is that they've focussed on the male/female thing, whether at the level of researching likely voters' opinions or at the level of the media reports, when I would bet that age differences give more significant differences of opinion.

NiceTabard Sat 22-Jun-13 13:53:09

Yes there are girl racers.

I find that pronouncement a bit odd.

Judging by the people I know of my parents generation, surely another headline could be "Older drivers put brakes on 80mph". And older voters are very important to the tories.

NiceTabard Sat 22-Jun-13 13:53:28

xposts!

NiceTabard Sat 22-Jun-13 13:55:13

I think they've assumed that women won't want higher speed limits due to often having kids in the car.

So for "women" they have assumed "housewife / part time person who does the school run by car".

And have totally forgotten that women come in lots of other formats, and that most people don't go on the motorway to do the school run. That's my guess anyway.

EdgarAllanPond Sat 22-Jun-13 13:57:43

possibly they'll have done a study to see how it polled.

you know, evidence based vote currying with no regard for actual right or wrong.

modern politics.

EdgarAllanPond Sat 22-Jun-13 14:03:25

public opposition would not have much evidential base either.

there has been a reduction in traffic due to the downturn, a reduction in motorway actual speed due to the high cost of fuel (doing 70+ throws fuel out of the window in my car..)...

and no reduction in the number of accidents.

if a government actually wanted to bring it down further they'd look at road design, not just speed limits.

MiniTheMinx Sat 22-Jun-13 14:05:59

I'm with Malenky on this. Would it not have been better to have considered age, income and whether people who travel on motorways regularly for work would be in favour of higher speed limits than say, people who use the motorway at the weekend with children as passengers.

I used to drive a lot for work and thought nothing of doing 80+ I stopped driving at silly speeds after I had DS1. For some reason it hadn't occurred to me that other cars would be carrying children until after I had mine. Selfish really. Nothing to do with gender, everything to do with how much respect and consideration for others not just ourselves.

BasilBabyEater Sat 22-Jun-13 14:19:05

Road design isn't responsible for most accidents.

The majority are caused by human error. Every time there's a fatality, road engineers are caused in to check whether it's anything to do with the road that might have caused the collision. That's (one of the reasons) why road traffic collisions cost the country a small fortune.

You can't engineer out tiredness, stress, momentarily loss of concentration, aggression, risk-taking or simple error - misjudging the speed or distance of another vehicle, for example.

Road safety practitioners talk about the 3 E's - education, enforcement and engineering. Engineering is not the solution to most road safety problems - it's only the solution to a very small minority.

BasilBabyEater Sat 22-Jun-13 14:20:41

called in, sorry

StickEmUpPunk Sat 22-Jun-13 14:30:09

I can't see a higher limit being a problem really as I got up to 80 while on a supervised motorway lesson while overtaking.
We did slow down again!
Point being, does 70 mean 80 is okay, therefore 80 limit would mean 90 is okay?

I don't really understand why it would alienate women, the point made upthread about what do women think, safty first etc... dunno.

I dont travel on motorways much so interested in what the regs think.

Myself, I have a very underpowered car and on the dual carriage way I either sit behind slow cars at 40 on the inside unable to pull out as there are so many 70 mph's on the outside lane.
A gap would be nice!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now