You are more beautiful than you think

(48 Posts)

I know it is nothing radical and it is something we all know in our hearts but I think this is cool....

You are more beautiful than you think

realbeautysketches.dove.com/

(I know inner beauty and all that too but outer beauty is real too)

AvrilPoisson Sat 11-May-13 01:05:07

No, really, I look like my father in a wig.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 11-May-13 08:26:29

Thanks OP

LadyKinbote Sat 11-May-13 08:31:02

Aw.. that's nice smile

BigBlockSingsong Sat 11-May-13 09:24:38

That video was sweet, but I would have liked to see some less conventially good looking people on there I think the advert would have been more moving to them and us.

Thanks *Everyone8.

That's interesting BigBlockSingsong I thought the women looked pretty average looking.

I mean I know Dove want to sell soap and all but I still like it! wink

YoniTime Sat 11-May-13 10:07:56

I felt a bit urghh when I heard the first sounds of the background music signalling that this was an Sensitive, Emotional and Empowering video for Feminine People.
The video felt a bit patronising I think? And it's part of that company's advertising.
Good point though that other's probably don't obsess over your imperfections like you do yourself.

I'd prefer "you're more badass than you think"

TWinklyLittleStar Sat 11-May-13 10:10:53

I went on a date with a man who spent a large proportion of the evening telling me his friend was one of the Dove models and how pretty she is, so those adverts make me angry

ecclesvet Sat 11-May-13 10:13:05

Eh. For once I'd like to see something that doesn't end with "You know, you really are beautiful" but "You know, beauty doesn't matter". Probably won't come from a cosmetics company though!

chibi Sat 11-May-13 10:14:07

i know you mean well, and i am not attacking you when i say this but rather attacking dove:

fuck everything about a campaign that centers my beauty to my humanity, and my worth because that reinforces patriarchy and it is gendered in a profoundly harmful way.

there never has and never will be any sort of ad directed at men reassuring them that they are more handsome (handsome, not attractive - attractiveness is more than looks) than they think.

because how pretty men are just doesn't matter

StealthOfficialCrispTester Sat 11-May-13 10:14:12

While I think it's a good thing, I also think that there should be less focus on beauty. I can't help thinking this sort of thing is helping build up the insecurities by telling us how insecure we're all feeling
(so buy some soap)

StealthOfficialCrispTester Sat 11-May-13 10:15:31

last two posters have said it better than me
I may be more beautiful than I think, I may be bloody ugly, I may be (think this is the most likely) distinctly average, but ultimately I am still worthwhile wherever I land on the beauty scale.

StealthOfficialCrispTester Sat 11-May-13 10:17:38

When I was young I used to think feminism was cool. It was about beautiful young women. Now I realise it's all women, young, old, beautiful, ugly, plain, pregnant, menopausal, elderly, frail, vulnerable, disabled, Miss World, SAHM, WOHM, incontinent, asexual, all women and girls.

YoniTime Sat 11-May-13 10:24:50

I like the turn this thread has taken. Chibi, I lol'd at your post because yeah...fuck off Dove.

And I can't help thinking this sort of thing is helping build up the insecurities by telling us how insecure we're all feeling YY

HanShotFirst Sat 11-May-13 10:31:15

Let's not forget that this "empowering" advert comes from a company that also owns the Lynx brand (Unilever, I think?).

I may be more beautiful than I think, but I wish we lived in a world where being beautiful wasn't even considered this important.

Grumpla Sat 11-May-13 11:43:00

I agree with the posters above. Fuck Dove! And fuck your overpriced stinky soap.

AnyFucker Sat 11-May-13 11:45:33

What utterly patronising bollocks

I expect it was dreamed up by a man

I hate the advert.

The underlying message is that other people see us differently than what we see ourselves and their image "fits" better with what is considered to be beautiful.

kim147 Sat 11-May-13 12:00:13

I've always thought that about Dove adverts. Yes - they are using women with different body sizes in their adverts but....

they are still selling beauty products.

DameFanny Sat 11-May-13 12:01:10

grin Avril

NiceTabard Sat 11-May-13 12:03:21

I haven't watched the ad it's a bit noisy round here. I think I can imagine though.

I would rather a message that beauty isn't the be-all and end-all, TBH.

Do men need to be told they're "more beautiful than they think"? No? Wonder why that might be. Maybe we could aim for that. For having females viewed as full people with a range of attributes, looks being only one of them.

FWIW I think I'm pretty damned good looking grin

NiceTabard Sat 11-May-13 12:04:07

I also assume that the beauty being touted in this is conventional beauty? Which is a bit bloody narrow and boring IMHO.

StealthOfficialCrispTester Sat 11-May-13 12:04:54

Reqlly nice? Imagine what a stunner youd be with some one quarter moisturising cream deodorant on your underarms then smile

Don't forget to kiss your underarms on a daily basis grin

NiceTabard Sat 11-May-13 12:09:26

Oh yes dove are the ones who invented a whole brand new thing for women to worry about. The concept of beautiful armpits.

that is an excellent reason to hate them.

These campaigns of theirs are VERY cynical.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now