Isn't the name of Mumsnet itself sexist?

(160 Posts)
MissPeach Thu 09-May-13 16:17:29

The Mumsnet slogan is 'By parents for parents', suggesting that it is of course, for mothers and fathers. Yet the name Mumsnet would suggest otherwise. It suggests that the forum is only for women, which in turn conveys the idea that women do more parenting than men.

To be honest, it doesn't irk me that much, but it was just a thought I randomly had, and was wondering other opinions on it.

Ilovemyself Mon 20-May-13 20:22:24

Ok KaseyM. I am not picking on feminists. I was asking questions and making my point felt. But of course. As I have male genetalia I must be picking on feminists according to some people.

And Yonitime. Yes I came her with reservations and not knowing if I would get help and would only be preached to. But I was wrong in the most part. In fact, this is the only place on Mumsnet where I have encountered abuse.

Let's get one thing straight here though. It is NOT my fault that women are discriminated against. Did i start it? No. And I would always stand up for ANYONE being discriminated against. It still doesn't justify the flaming on here. Obviously some of you just want to pick a fight rather than being reasonable and either discussing or pointing out why someone is wrong. To those of you, whatever. I will speak to those that are sensible enough to teach me if I need to learn something, and who can debate things. I am happy to admit when I am wrong ( like I was about Mumsnet initially) - are you!

KaseyM I vote he goes on the a r r s e forum and explains to them how they're doing soldiering all wrong grin

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 21-May-13 06:49:45

<seconds Plenty>

Dervel Tue 21-May-13 07:21:31

I have read the preceding few pages, and I'm not dissing anyone by ignoring, I just have nothing constructive to add, and if I did I would probably make it worse, but I do have something to say on the original topic.

I do not think the name Mumsnet is sexist. I believe it represents a bias, and that in this case is a very good thing. We all posses bias, even those of us who are desperate to try to be fair and balanced in our views, as such we can take it as read that some of what we each hold to be true is wrong. This is why opposing points of view and bias being expressed in society are essential, and the perspectives that you find represented in Mumsnet have not been traditionally expressed elsewhere in the media at large.

Agree or disagree on individual issues all you wish, and even if you disagree with each and every point ever made here this place is representative of a large enough section of society to warrant its existence. If the name announces that bias, even better as it is simply being upfront and honest about where it is coming from. I wish I saw more of that in this day and age, as for example if "The Daily Mail" titled itself as "The Daily Ill-Informed Bigot" for example, I'd know what to avoid. However Mums are a group I am very interested in hearing from, as what they do is of critical import to the type of society I live in.

My only potential criticism I would have in the name, reminds me of what the Iroquis Indian delegation asked at the first continental congress: "Where are your women?". In this case where are the Dads? However a few very bitter women as an aside, the very general consensus I find in the threads I have read on here are Mums who are champing at the bit to co-operate with the Dads in the raising of their children. So if there is any sexism in the name Mumsnet it is sadly a societal reflection, and not one whose origin you will find here, and who knows if we listen to the Mums we may not find the whole solution, but I suspect we'll find part of it.

betterthanever Tue 21-May-13 19:58:37

I am sure there will be a site called `sports fan' .... and I am sure non `sports fans' can still go on it - I happen to be a mum it is what females who have children are called, non parents and even those fathers can come on mumsnet but as with those on `sports fan' might talk about sport mumsnet may talk about being a female with a child and other things too.

mirai Sat 25-May-13 02:31:14

How funny, a man is being asked to be treated as equal. Poor old men, they are never equal are they?! Life is so hard for the poor men. Glass ceilings at every turn. Can't fill out a form without being asked if they are married or not. Bless.

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Sat 25-May-13 07:51:54

Mumsnet is an easily accessible space where women aren't forced into a box of someone else's idea of femaleness.

Although you can tell there will be women here, if you come open-minded and look, you see that Mumsnet actually allows its 'mums' to be sah mums, woh mums, dads, grandparents, those in childcare or people with nothing to do with kids at all.

The 'mums' can be representatives for expats, bakers, runners, horse owners, dieters, designer handbag obsessives, baby wearers or baby weaners.

But also the mums are welcome to show themselves as philosophers, debaters, comedians, supporters, campaigners, and THINKERS.

It's a good place. I like the name.

WastedTomatoGuts Sat 25-May-13 22:26:26

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Childrenofthestones Sun 26-May-13 19:16:46

"How funny, a man is being asked to be treated as equal. Poor old men, they are never equal are they?! Life is so hard for the poor men. Glass ceilings at every turn. Can't fill out a form without being asked if they are married or not. Bless."

Do they teach sarcasm and belittling people you disagree with at femschool? This post is so common it could almost be cut and paste.
I we need some new script writers. :~)

mirai Sun 26-May-13 23:51:25

Oh look, a woman being told what she can and can't say, by a man. Now there's a turn up for the books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now