PepsiCo withdraw ad accused of making light of violence towards women and racism

(9 Posts)
WhentheRed Thu 02-May-13 21:39:44

I read an article in Business Insider where Tyler the Creator commented that he couldn't believe it when Pepsi approved the concept. He said he was going overboard and expected it to be shot down. I don't necessarily buy him downplaying his concept like that, but I am flabbergasted that the storyline was even approved.

Like the Hyundai suicide ad, there must be multiple opportunities for someone to approve or comment on the ads. There isn't really any excuse for such ads to make it to distribution.

Or maybe 'any publicity is good publicity'?

Or more likely no-one with the courage to speak up and challenge the ad.

FloraFox Thu 02-May-13 19:05:40

I can't help but wonder if this was the old - "well a black guy said it it so it can't be racist".

Franke Thu 02-May-13 17:26:22

Pepsi have form don't they? Remember the end of the world ad where they dupe a woman so that one of the guys can get laid? I think we complained en masse but they woudn't back down. Seriously disgusting.

MrsGeologist Thu 02-May-13 16:57:57

More proof that Adland is on an entirely different planet to the rest of us.

edam Thu 02-May-13 13:47:47

Bloody hell. How on earth did that get through all the different people who must have seen and approved it? Nice to know Pepsi is full of people who don't see racism and sexism when it's right in front of them. Or don't see anything wrong with it.

It beggars belief that there are people who could suggest that story line, and other people who saw the idea pitched and didn't realise how it could be offensive. How is it possible that not one person said, "You can't say that!!"?

Beehatch Thu 02-May-13 13:16:04

I find it hard to believe anyone ever thought that ad a good idea shock

nenevomito Thu 02-May-13 13:09:43

Story here

Its great that its been withdrawn, but how have we got to the point where anyone thought it was acceptable in the first place to have a beaten woman being threatened as a good premise for an advert?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now