Unisex Toilets

(28 Posts)
StickEmUpPunk Tue 23-Apr-13 16:32:41

Recently I went for coffee with a friend and naturally at one point needed a wee.
Went to the loo (through a door, with a row of cubicles and hand basins), came out and stood in front of a man washing his hands.

Now, my first thought was fuck, I've walked into the mens toilets. It then got weird when I realised there were other men in there, and none of them seemed to notice me.

I went out, and the sign on the door said toilet. I went and asked the baristar if they were unisex, they said yes, and this struck me as odd.

It also struck me as progessive. I mean, I didn't really mind at all, when I found out no one would laugh at me for being in the wrong loo!

They were all cubicles. So no chance of seeing an errant penis.

I share a house with a man (my husband) so I am used to sharing a loo. My flat is not a female only space.

I go to AA meetings and the centre we use for one, well it gets busy and I have also been known to use the mans loo, it's just a small lockable room with 1 loo, I usually laugh at the fact there is always wee in the loo (not flushed) but as long as there is no seat pee I sit right on it and go.
Then wash my hands, obvs.

But why do I have this niggly feeling, of 'I don't like the idea of unisex toilets'.

And I can't articulate why. Am I being 100% irrational?

Thoughts?

thezebrawearspurple Sat 27-Apr-13 23:54:51

I hate them, piss all over the floor and horrific stench of poo. Also hate the idea because there's no way I'd be comfortable fixing a bra or makeup in the mirror in front of strange men.

I have no wish for public unisex toilets for the simple reason that the men's always stink. Yes you sometimes get splashes on the women's seats, but I can't imagine what you'd find in the men's, judging by the smell!

As for queues at the women's - surely that's simple. It's a well-known problem and so there should be more space allocated to the women's toilets than the men's, maybe 2/3 to 1/3.

Dragonwoman Wed 24-Apr-13 08:02:26

I don't know why I can't pee in earshot of men but I just can't! It's not something I have concious control of. I personally wouldn't have a problem with the tampon dispenser but I know some women would. It is different from buying in a shop as you don't immediately go and use them in a shop with the sounds of unwrapping etc. Don't forget not all men are above making sexist comments in the street- some will undoubtably comment on a womans cycle if they know it. 'He's out of luck this week she's on' is a comment I've heard directed at women. Do you really want to share a public toilet with 'white van man' and his mates?

seeker Wed 24-Apr-13 05:56:40

Apparently this is a big issue of MRA- hordes of women piling in to men's loos and changing rooms and disrespecting male space. Can't say I've ever seen it!

I don't think I'd like unisex loos- but I can't say exactly why.

sashh Wed 24-Apr-13 05:49:39

They have the cubical ones in Leicester uni library, the toilet and sink are both in the cubicle.

And of course the accessible ones are all unisex.

kickassangel Wed 24-Apr-13 01:51:03

My college tutor is doing a whole course on bathrooms and toilets as part of a gender studies course. Sadly, I will not be able to do the course.

KoalaCakes Wed 24-Apr-13 01:21:02

Unisex loos are bog standard in many places her in Amsterdam. Yeah...I know....

TeiTetua Tue 23-Apr-13 22:35:36

Expecting men to sit down to pee would mean they'd take as long as the women, and most venues haven't got enough room for the queues which would result.

WidowWadman Tue 23-Apr-13 22:26:14

Not sure what the problem with using the tampon dispenser in front of men is? Where's the difference to buying tampons in front of men or from men in a shop?

And why can you pee within earshot of women, but not men?

Dragonwoman Tue 23-Apr-13 21:53:29

Actually we had toilets with 3 cubicles in our student halls at university. The halls were women only, but girls would have boyfriends to stay over. I was never able to piss if I could hear a man in the cubicle next to me. Total shut-down until he left. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this type of psychological block.

Come to think of it, although at home I share a bathroom with family, I never use the toilet when there's anyone else in there (other than my small DCs). So I'm not sure I could pee in a cubicle next to my DH or dad even. I could only use unisex toilets if they were completely separate individual units, rather than cubicles where everyone can hear what you're doing.

Dragonwoman Tue 23-Apr-13 21:45:21

Do you think all women would be comfortable in using the tampon dispenser in front of men in a unisex toilet? Or changing a pair of laddered tights (not always room for this in a cubicle or if there's a queue it's easier not to wait). I have also had to take my trousers off and dry under the hand dryer after being caught in heavy rain. I wouldn't do that in the men's.

HullMum Tue 23-Apr-13 20:49:35

men's toilets stink. If we can start getting them to sit down fine, maybe. But, then it will be PC gone mad and emasculating men by taking their right to stand up and splash piss everywhere.

ecclesvet Tue 23-Apr-13 20:28:23

I've seen my share of stinky toilets, mens and womens, and both are equally disgusting in their own right - go gender equality!

Men's usually stink more, and often have piss on the floor (I assume from missing the urinals); women's sometimes have piss on the seats (I assume from ladies trying to 'hover') and flood more often from trying to flush sanitary products.

Not something I thought would be in a post on the Feminist section!

NiceTabard Tue 23-Apr-13 19:30:48

For me personally - is we're assuming no queueing difference and no stinkiness issues - I'm not fussed about the fact of blokes being in there.

i do suspect this is a very personal issue though.

Could there be any religious type issues with women having no "women's only" space anywhere do adjust clothing or what-have-you. we have quite a lot of different religious groups around here where various bits have to be covered but may reasonable need adjustment in front of a mirror while out and about.

NiceTabard Tue 23-Apr-13 19:27:59

Also need to think about elderly people - lots of old women (and old men?) would not be comfortable with shared facilities.

NiceTabard Tue 23-Apr-13 19:27:21

I used to go in the blokes bogs in pubs / clubs when the women's queue was ridiculous (as did many other women, I went to highbrow places, not grin) and they were always stinkier than the women's. Don't know why but in my experience certainly in those type of venues there is a significant difference in aroma / mankiness.

NiceTabard Tue 23-Apr-13 19:25:51

It seems like a shame to get rid of urinals as having 1 lot of unisex cubicles I suspect the queue will end up being longer for everyone.

StickEmUpPunk Tue 23-Apr-13 19:24:29

Fucking ipad typos lol. Sorry!

StickEmUpPunk Tue 23-Apr-13 19:24:03

The one went into didnt have urinala, jut cubicals. I think if i saw a urinal id scream ... Mainly coz i would think i was in the wrong one!
It dodnt say unisex in fact i will go back and see what it did say as i didnt think i was confused until i saw a man. Lol. I do laugh when i think of hw inside i went 'shiiiiiiit'.

So, some people lik hem, but not said why?
I coulsnt say why i didnt ... So thats okay.

I didnt say why coz i dont know!

TiggyD Tue 23-Apr-13 19:03:25

Some women's toilets are pretty stinky too. Unisex is the way forward. (And onesies)

I like unisex toilets and I think there should be a lot more of them, but I guess it's also nice to have single-sex ones as some women (and no doubt some men) might feel a bit awkward.

IIRC religions that are strict about male-female contact tend to make exceptions for family members, so I suppose there may be people who wouldn't want to use a unisex public toilet even if they share a loo with family members of both sexes at home?

LovedayMerryweather Tue 23-Apr-13 18:15:00

I love unisex toilets but I do prefer the kind where it's individual cubicles and no urinals. I find women's toilets can be JUST as disgusting as men's, plus you have to queue longer to get into them.

The ideal toilets are individual cubicles which include hand-dryer and basin and can be used by any gender.

Beamae Tue 23-Apr-13 16:57:32

We used to have unisex toilets at work and they were always disgusting, it always seemed to be poo o'clock and always stank, they were never flushed. Then after constant complaints they did some remodelling and separated the toilets. Problem solved. Clean and fresh from then on!

StickEmUpPunk Tue 23-Apr-13 16:42:56

I made that sound like I'm homophobic or something, I most definitely am not lol (most of my partners have been female. I've had one male, and we got married, work that one out LOL)

StickEmUpPunk Tue 23-Apr-13 16:41:25

Oh, and years ago in my bisexual days I used to go gay clubbing.

Men used to use the female loos all the time.

I once went into the male loos and was thrown out of the whole club.

I do go to AA but I promise it wasn't for being too drunk.
'Yuk women' was said to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now