Women lack mental aptitude for Formula 1 - Moss

(111 Posts)
nenevomito Mon 15-Apr-13 12:10:22

Former British racing driver Sir Stirling Moss believes women do not have the mental skills to race competitively in Formula 1.

BBC news story HERE

So, is it down to lack of metal ability, or is it because like most sports, F1 and other car racing is still male dominated, so women may not have the same opportunities?

ImperialBlether Tue 16-Apr-13 23:31:32

I laughed my head off this morning when I heard this. I really thought it was an April Fool joke. The poor bugger sounded so earnest when he was talking, as though anyone listening would think, "My god, that man has a good point!"

SomethingOnce Wed 17-Apr-13 00:04:48

It amazes me that women are allowed to drive at all.

The Saudis have got it about right.

[harumph]

Lessthanaballpark Wed 17-Apr-13 01:05:29

I think that the fact that the nation is having a debate on whether or not women have the mental aptitude to be F1 drivers could be responsible for putting a fair few future female F1 drivers off.

There is some young girl out there with amazing racing potential taking all this in. And being put off.

But then we can't expect Moss to think of that can we? I don't expect he'd know what self-fulfilling prophecy meant if it bit him on his arse.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 17-Apr-13 06:39:38

This is a really interesting thread, thanks all.

TeiTetua Wed 17-Apr-13 14:15:46

I'm sure Margaret Thatcher could have done it, but she unfortunately wasted her talents in a different field.

EauRouge Thu 18-Apr-13 14:53:20

Good article about it here. Good luck to Alice Powell, I hope she gets the sponsorship she needs.

frosch Thu 18-Apr-13 15:53:41

Thanks EauRouge and good luck Alice! And in recognition of the fact that the FIA are making making an effort in recognising women's contribution to motorsport, here's the FIA's page, worth a read...

JenaiMorris Thu 18-Apr-13 20:44:58

Lessthan I disagree. Look at the reaction to Moss's proclaimation, and the links frosch and EauRouge have posted.

Of all sports - particularly the high profile ones - motor racing is one of the least sexist.

Pendeen Thu 18-Apr-13 23:29:32

"I'm sure Margaret Thatcher could have done it, but she unfortunately wasted her talents in a different field."

Thatcher may have had grit, determination, drive, ambition and a huge ruthless streak in spades.

But natural, raw, sheer, gifted and God-given talent?

A la Fangio, Moss, Brooks, Clarke, Stewart, Lauda, Senna, Prost, or Hakkinen?

No. She was utterly without talent.

TeiTetua Fri 19-Apr-13 02:10:04

"Thatcher may have had grit, determination, drive, ambition and a huge ruthless streak in spades."

All qualities that might make a good competitive race driver. As for her talent versus those others, I don't know and I'd claim nor does anyone. Could she get out there and merge herself with the machine, risking her life to win? That is the question.

frosch Fri 19-Apr-13 08:27:50

Don't get me wrong; the attitudes held by a minority of men in motorsport, at grassroots and top-end, are incredibly sexist and it's those men that make the big decisions within the sport BUT change is a-coming.

BoredWench's opinion that no orgies of willing girls going on as has been suggested further up the thread is, unfortunately, not one that I can concur with.

Beverley Turner pissed off a lot of the paddock when her book came out; a lot of people felt that they'd been used, believing that it had been her intention all along to 'expose' the paddock behaviour, rather taking the job through a genuine love of F1. However, her book didn't even scratch the surface of what goes on. Here's an old link gives a brief oversight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now