Prostitution

(17 Posts)
insuburbian Tue 11-Mar-14 14:07:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

CaptChaos Tue 03-Sep-13 22:44:37

Happy Birthday Booster!

Hope food does knit you a lovely jumper. Or a cardy.

Boosterseat Tue 03-Sep-13 22:16:32

In a smashing argyle knit grin

Foodworknews- it's my birthday today would you like some cake and you can come back and have a chat with us?

YoniTime Tue 03-Sep-13 17:22:12

Someone is obsessed and needs to do something else. Like learn how to knit a jumper.

Boosterseat Tue 03-Sep-13 17:19:12

Foodworknews Do you like knitted jumpers?

And are you hungry at all?

Boosterseat Mon 02-Sep-13 13:24:08

Reason for bump Foodworknews?

foodworknews Mon 02-Sep-13 01:58:29

bump

dothraki Sun 14-Apr-13 18:54:53

(sorry - that was to ramiol - in case anyone misunderstood)

dothraki Sun 14-Apr-13 18:53:45

YEP - time to fuck off back to under the bridge

ramiol1 Sun 14-Apr-13 18:36:23

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

StickEmUpPunk Thu 11-Apr-13 20:03:32

Meant to be yes not ya!

StickEmUpPunk Thu 11-Apr-13 20:03:11

Ya @ 'all men use prostitutes'
I asked dh honestly what he thought in general and for him he has to know someone before he has sex with them.
Its definitely not a purchase like a mars bar

NiceTabard Thu 11-Apr-13 17:58:32

There was a study thing in scotland where they asked men who paid for sex what their attitudes were and what they would do if it were illegal and getting caught meant people finding out. A significant proportion said that they would not pay for sex if there was a possibility of people finding out / criminal record etc.

I think it is definitely true that when things are easy to do then more people do them. Also if something is kind of legal and on the high street then more people feel it is OK to do (normalisation) while if it is not so easy to access / there is a stigma in paying for sex then less people will do it.

Threads on here about prostitution really bother me when posters say that all men have used prostitutes and what do you expect and it's not a big deal like paying for anything else like someone to clean your car or something. That really bothers me because it's not "normal", not all men do it, and it's not like other types of purchase.

Wishiwasanheiress Thu 11-Apr-13 17:55:57

If u are a consenting man or woman why can u not choose to pay for sex if u wish to?

If u are a consenting woman or man why can u not choose to sell sex if u wish to?

Whilst I realise many woman don't, neither do all men in either bracket. If u can answer why sex should be made illegal to sell in itself I'm interested to then go into all the surrounding issues of which there are millions. They are also distractions. Id prefer to see it legalised and regimented to gain people protection but I expect u guessed that! smile

YoniTime Thu 11-Apr-13 17:42:45

You can say educate men not to want sex but I doubt that men will take notice.

Err. "Sex" doesn't necessarily mean paying to use someone's body.
To end the demand a a different culture must be created. One where boys are taught to understand that they aren't entitled to girl's bodies and that they can't buy other humans and that sex is something mutual.

Sausageeggbacon Thu 11-Apr-13 17:00:25

Stick even in Countries that have changed their laws about prostitution and who is punished there is still prostitution. So long as there is demand there will be supply. You can say educate men not to want sex but I doubt that men will take notice.

In my mind it is better to protect than punish but I hate the street work. The problem is how to encourage girls to get away from Pimps and traffickers and leave those that actually want to do it free to do it. Bottom line is in much smaller countries that are a lot easier to police there is still prostitution so don't think we are going to be better at it in the UK.

StickEmUpPunk Thu 11-Apr-13 16:29:41

I posted on another thread my view on prostitution and I felt the need to discuss it as I want opinions on how I feel.
I am sure this is my gut feeling but these are not always right.

It's a bit of a Catch 22.

I don't believe prostitution should happen. I do not believe men need sex, and should be allowed to pay for it.
I think it should be made illegal. I don't actually think the selling of sex should be made illegal, as the prostitutes are victims in the cycle, not the perpotrator, if that is the right word.

This then lends to the idea that I do not support sex worker rights. This is not true. The catch 22 is until it is made illegal it will still exist and I think the workers should be supported in the way that they need access to the police if they are attacked, etc.

The end of my thinking seems to be though, we (society, not MN) seem to discuss more the protection of sex workers more than trying to stop prostitution.
It almost seems like I am against the women and I am not. I want to see them in safe homes living safe lives. Supporting them to carry on prostituting seems like backing down.

A recent poster made similar points and was deleted due to having an agenda.
I do not. I am a regular poster, recently identifying as feminist although I now know I have held feminist views for years.

I just have never been bothered enough about anyone else but myself to do anything about it.

Am I wrong?

(PS am not around til later after a few mins, so if I run off I haven't!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now