Women in space!

(24 Posts)
msrisotto Thu 21-Mar-13 19:35:13

Yay Spacekate! I have voted for you. I agree, get onto Mumsnet HQ to get you a webchat and up your profile. I so want you to win!

Always hated Lynx' offensive, incredibly lazy, sexist, boring advertising.

Hooray for SpaceKate smile smile

duchesse Thu 21-Mar-13 16:31:41

Welcome SpaceKate- you absolutely don't need to have children to be on Mumsnet- there's plenty going on that isn't about parenting.

Good luck with the bid to get into space!

GrendelsMum Thu 21-Mar-13 13:44:18

A webchat is a great idea - we need to discuss how young women are being alienated from science more openly.

GeekLove Thu 21-Mar-13 13:22:14

Welcome SpaceKate!

Hope you enjoy Mumnet!
As for me I am also a professional scientist with an interest in space exploration and if I can do anything to get a fellow female scientist up there I will do so. Haven't quite given up hope myself!
I and others have been FBing and tweeting your story to get more votes! Is it 5000 now?

kim147 Thu 21-Mar-13 13:21:29

You need to ask MNHQ for a webchat - sure you'd be welcome on there and join the great alumni of people.

Good luck with the vote.

SpaceKate Thu 21-Mar-13 13:16:35

Hi there all - thanks so much for your interest and support. A friend said that you had mentioned me and sent me the link. I'd love to come and chat if you'd have me. It's so important that we show young women that science is not just for boys.

I've been so lucky with the experiences that I've had and I blog about them as spacekate.com so that I can try to share them and perhaps inspire a few people along the way.

I don't have children of my own, so I'm new to mumsnet - but let me know how I can help!

Kate

budgetio Wed 20-Mar-13 13:08:41

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MsJupiterJones Wed 20-Mar-13 10:19:46

Voted. Agree mnhq should get her in for a chat!

OrbisNonSufficit Tue 19-Mar-13 17:41:34

Undertone If you want to mobilise Mumsnet, get HQ involved (perhaps a blog post from SpaceKate herself?) and also put something in the Am I Being Unreasonable section (AIBU to expect this competition to be open to women for example) - that bit gets the most traffic...

Mandytm Tue 19-Mar-13 15:59:38

Helen Sharman came to my school when I was 7, I'm sure she is the biggest reason I went on to study physics.

I never became an astronaut like her though sad

TheSmallClanger Tue 19-Mar-13 15:16:14

I'm going to vote.

Women astronauts have been going into space regularly since the early 80s. I don't understand why it's still considered such a novel concept. Suni Williams is the second female Alpha Commander of the ISS, after Peggy Whitson. During one shuttle docking, there were actually two female mission commanders working together: Peggy Whitson and Pam Melroy (the second female shuttle commander).

Undertone Tue 19-Mar-13 10:36:25

How can we mobilise Mumsnet? I've seen you chaps on the current _Chat thread. Need others to step up too!

tribpot Tue 19-Mar-13 07:53:17

Voted for her - what a ridiculous ad campaign. She's quite right, they could have played with the genre a bit and still have hit their core consumers without being quite so offensive.

So out of touch with the way TV dramas, including the one featuring the fabulous KateBeckett, are subverting some of these stereotypes to show strong male and female partnerships.

runningforthebusinheels Tue 19-Mar-13 07:45:39

bump

kim147 Tue 19-Mar-13 07:44:08

bump

KateBeckett Mon 18-Mar-13 22:00:24

Good idea orb! I think it would e fab if she won too!

Trekkie Mon 18-Mar-13 21:59:31

Wow

Those fuckers at lynx

The ads have always been, OK, I can see what they're doing, not to my taste but hey I'm not the target audience

But this is just not on.

Have voted smile

kim147 Mon 18-Mar-13 21:50:42

Posted there already and on my FB account. That Lynx ad really annoyed me in so many ways.

OrbisNonSufficit Mon 18-Mar-13 21:48:41

Brilliant, I love it. Voted for her! I've always found Lynx ads distasteful, it would make me very happy if she won. You should repost in chat as well...

kim147 Mon 18-Mar-13 21:31:44

So the Lynx advert is not just aimed at men and assumes women will fall for the obvious male astronaut (having rejected the male lifeguard) confused

Have a look at these NASA clips from the space station.

www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/main/suni_iss_tour.html

It's a tour by the Commander Suni Williams

thingamajig Mon 18-Mar-13 21:24:46

I remember being really inspired by Helen Sharman being the first Briton in space, but have heard very little about women in space since. The lynx advert i pretty atrocious though, I will be giving the woman in the article a vote.

KateBeckett Mon 18-Mar-13 21:18:13

Just realised what my username is at the moment... haha this is not me by the way!

KateBeckett Mon 18-Mar-13 21:17:33

SpaceKate

Interesting article in the telegraph about a Lynx competition to get to space. The writer / wannabe astronaut makes some interesting points about perceptions of women in STEM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now