Sexist Nivea deodorant ad

(15 Posts)
Melpomene Thu 14-Feb-13 21:09:39

I just saw this ad on TV. It's all about how Nivea deodorant helps a woman to avoid sweating under stress - that is, the stress of watching a her boyfriend competing in a quiz show.

Surely the message of the advert would be stronger if she was competing in the quiz show herself? Why isn't she the contestant? Can you imagine them showing an ad for men's deodorant revolving around a man watching his girlfriend competing/performing in a similar way?

kim147 Thu 14-Feb-13 21:19:20

Saw it and thought the same.
There's one for fold or scrunch as well.
All the women in the advert are doing "girly" things like their nails, looking at shoes or their makeup.
The men are working or relaxing.

In fact, I think most adverts wind me up at the moment.

ashesgirl Thu 14-Feb-13 21:58:45

"Can you imagine them showing an ad for men's deodorant revolving around a man watching his girlfriend competing/performing in a similar way?"

Aaarrrrrghhhh. FFS. This sort of stuff that winds me up no end.

Can you submit to that website - the omen's media representation one. They log all this stuff and they use it to show how skewed the media is.

ashesgirl Thu 14-Feb-13 21:59:07

women's media representation!

bigkidsdidit Thu 14-Feb-13 22:04:32

I thought exactly he same thing angry

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Thu 14-Feb-13 22:51:15

Eh? That makes no sense without her competing.

Melpomene Thu 14-Feb-13 23:23:40

I've submitted it to the website - thanks for the suggestion.

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Thu 14-Feb-13 23:27:52

Does anyone have a YouTube account to post a counter comment to the thick bitch one angry?

I just replied with 'well aren't you a charmer'

Not the best response but it was all I could think of without getting very personal & rude!

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Fri 15-Feb-13 10:20:05

Thanks HB!

TurquoiseCat Fri 15-Feb-13 10:34:45

Added my own message onto YouTube. Thick bitch indeed.

TurquoiseCat Fri 15-Feb-13 10:35:48

Andi fidget personal and rude. blush

TurquoiseCat Fri 15-Feb-13 10:36:09

*and I did...

ashesgirl Fri 15-Feb-13 11:59:35

Do you think the hippyduck might have been being very sarcastic - ie. actually hates the advert? Let's hope so!

Darkesteyes Fri 15-Feb-13 22:22:54

Nivea ran a promotion on Twitter last night and it appeared in my timeline as Promoted (i dont follow them) asking if you have ever moved in for a kiss but misread the situation and been rebuffed.
im assuming they were addressing this to women as its mainly women who use lip balms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now