Capturing the limelight

(3 Posts)
WilsonFrickett Mon 11-Feb-13 19:46:07

They had Kathy Lette talking. She was making the valid point about how "the average man" can join a group of women at a party, talk about themselves and wander off. How "the average women" is dismissed as bolshy or loud if she dares to speak up whilst the "average man" is complemented and told he is confident and a leader

That wouldn't be my experience on a social level, although I have had similar on a work level. I heard a lot of 'tone down the enthusiasm, tone down the bubbly attitude' (and has a man ever been described as bubbly?) and received a lot of 'constructive feedback' about how to change people's perceptions of me from a socially adept team player to someone 'harder edged'. Bugger that. However I've never had a problem taking the limelight. I did start out as a performer though so maybe it's that grin. Great training in how to own your confidence.

Leithlurker Mon 11-Feb-13 11:54:51

I listend to it as well and thought Lette did a good job of talking all over the man which kinda made the point that women too are are just as good at stealing the limelight even as she was making the case that men do the "wandering up" thing.

She did make the good point though about women being brought up to expect not to be forceful and to "steal" the limelight. Not sure about that as I cannot imagine performers like Maddona being anything less than forceful, as they probably have to be.
Kim FYI www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qj9z/presenters/sarah-montague

kim147 Mon 11-Feb-13 10:20:35

Listening to Radio 4 this morning and there was a discussion about "capturing the limelight". Apparently Laurence Olivier used to arrange for the lights to get brighter when he came on stage.

They had Kathy Lette talking. She was making the valid point about how "the average man" can join a group of women at a party, talk about themselves and wander off. How "the average women" is dismissed as bolshy or loud if she dares to speak up whilst the "average man" is complemented and told he is confident and a leader.

Sue Mcregor then said that "Well, surely women can capture attention by what they wear".

Which kind of annoyed Kathy Lette who just said that's a bit superficial, isn't it.

And then you have the BAFTAs in the press and what is there a focus on:
What the women were wearing.

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/news/bafta-awards-fashion-red-carpet-verdict-8488997.html?action=gallery

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now