What are you watching & reading? Will you do the Beshdel Test on it?

(212 Posts)
Seabright Thu 24-Jan-13 23:32:02

I have been trying to apply the Beshdel Test to what I've been watching lately.

The wiki entry in the link above explains more, but basically to pass the Beshdel Test a work of fiction must have:

A) At least two female characters
B) Who Talk to each other
C) About something other than a man

This evening I have watched:

1. Rizzoli & Isles - pass, just
2. The Good Wife - pass

And I'm reading an Ian Rankin novel at the moment (yes, my choice of tv and books is pretty limited - crime & murder!) which so far fails, but I'm only part way through.

Spooks. Episode mumble of series mumble. Passed with bells on.
Wodehouse (Company for Henry). Failed with bells on.

sydlexic Fri 15-Feb-13 23:28:33

I heard of the Bechdel test a couple of weeks ago and have been thinking about it. Sadly the only programme that passed was silent witness. It really makes you think.

Love big bang theory but that was a massive fail.

Schooldidi Fri 15-Feb-13 23:11:48

The walking dead - passed.

Trills Fri 15-Feb-13 22:49:37

Mean Girls mainly has women talking to each other about other women rather than about men.

13Iggis Fri 15-Feb-13 22:46:21

A re-run of detective series Vera - passed.

Schooldidi Fri 15-Feb-13 22:42:46

I don't. I hope it's soon.

Trills Fri 15-Feb-13 22:42:03

I really enjoyed that book - do you know when the third one will be out?

Schooldidi Fri 15-Feb-13 20:57:48

I'm reading A wise man's fear by Patrick Rothfuss. It passes, there aren't many female charachters who meet each other but when they do they talk about magic or their studies rather than a man usually.

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Fri 15-Feb-13 20:35:54

James has just got to the centre of the Giant Peach and met the insects.

The text goes something like, "The Spider stretched her legs (for she was a female Spider)..." needless to say, Roald Dahl doesn't specify that the Grasshopper is male...

It is a pass though, as the two Aunts talk about eating the Peach.

tangledupinpoo Fri 15-Feb-13 16:55:21

Reading The House of Sleep at the moment. Not far through it but so far, it just passes.

Watched the Iron Lady last night and that barely passed, surprisingly. There was quite a lot of MT talking to Carole, but mostly about missing Denis. Some of it must have been about what she was going to wear that night, or going to buy milk.

My DH used to think me over-earnest changing half the animals' genders in Dear Zoo. Seriously, they're all male!

Can't even articulate the level of fail of the Godfather films and Apocalypse Now.

ThePathanKhansAmnesiac Fri 15-Feb-13 16:11:26

I,m watching the Golden Compass, thats a pass i think, isn,t it?.

Trills Fri 15-Feb-13 15:59:05

There's a conversation between Cosette and Mme Thernardier along the lines of "work harder, go get water", "I'm scared and I don't want to". So that's technically a pass.

AmandaPayne Fri 15-Feb-13 15:49:43

I think it fails too. The bully Fantine essentially about a man - the whole conversation is about her sexual behaviour. Eponine and Collette never speak, which is a bit chance missed IMO.

kim147 Fri 15-Feb-13 15:49:02

I can't recall Les Miserables having much conversation between 2 women. Except Mme. Thenardier being awful to Fantine and Eponine.

msrisotto Fri 15-Feb-13 15:44:01

Les Miserables...I think it fails? I know Fantine is bullied out of the factory where she was working by women who were bullying/talking to her but I don't think they actually had names.....

Melpomene Fri 15-Feb-13 15:37:43

Just saw Wreck-it Ralph at the cinema. It passed the test on the basis of two scenes - one scene where some girl video game characters are discussing a go kart race (although this does involve bullying), and a second happier discussion at the end involving the same group of girls.

Two of the main four characters in the film are female - they play a more significant role in the film than I expected from watching the trailer. They don't really ever talk to each other, but both are presented as feisty, active and resourceful.

Sunnywithshowers Sun 10-Feb-13 23:17:58

I'm watching Piranha.

Epic fail on all counts.

AmandaPayne Sun 10-Feb-13 22:20:23

I have already browsed the outfits (oh the shame blush). I was pleased to see quite a few women actually wearing coats on the red carpet. Small improvements and all that.

kim147 Sun 10-Feb-13 21:21:06

Well you can guess what the pictures and the comments will be on the women in the morning, can't you.

Look at this outfit, look at that outfit, that was a controversial outfit. All on the front page.

EduCated Sun 10-Feb-13 21:17:58

Not quite right for the test, but am watching the BAFTAs. Will be interesting to see how many women present as compared to men.

FrameyMcFrame Sun 10-Feb-13 20:54:56

Just watching Call the Midwife with DD. It does pass but women are beaten up and humiliated, another is sexually abused on a cargo ship by the sailors. I know it's set in the past but it's not really family viewing

ImNotDrunkIJustCantType Sun 10-Feb-13 20:52:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kim147 Sun 10-Feb-13 20:45:08

Chocolat

Massive win - and it highlights some issues as well such as domestic abuse and personal choice on how to live a life without being told how to do it by society.

kerala Thu 07-Feb-13 16:57:19

Zero Dark Thirty passes frequent scenes of 2 women discussing their work.

CheerfulYank Thu 07-Feb-13 15:06:45

I watched 27 Dresses last night...it passed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now