I may have a nasty suspicious mind, but it seems to me that every thread....

(279 Posts)
seeker Thu 24-Jan-13 13:30:13

......that talks about misogyny gets derailed in exactly the same way. Coincidence?

SanityClause Thu 24-Jan-13 13:33:01

So, are we placing bets on when this one goes that way? By post 57, is my guess.

AbigailAdams Thu 24-Jan-13 13:35:19

Seeker what are you talking about? Misogyny doesn't exist! It's all in the little wimmin's heads. It is all down to their looks, or intelligence, or that their opinion is wrong. Nothing whatsoever to do with the fact they are a woman. Absolutely not. Never. It is a pure coincidence that many many women can cite when they have had their looks, sexuality, genitalia remarked upon, discussed derogatorily, threatened with sexual violence. And those women <whispers> aren't even famous. They are just be walking down the street. So it can't be the same.

Oh and women do it too.

I can't believe you started a thread about misogyny without acknowledging misandry. hmm

Anniegetyourgun Thu 24-Jan-13 14:55:06

Well they shouldn't be walking down the street looking ugly, should they.

hmm

As I always suspected: women are their own worst enemies. Men wouldn't judge other men for looking ugly.

kim147 Thu 24-Jan-13 15:00:59

"women are their own worst enemies."

That is something that I think is worthy of debate. On the whole, men are a lot less judgy of other men. They would not write so many articles criticising or commenting on other men for their appearance or clothes. (Yes DM - looking at you)

And I would love to see an AIBU that was just men only. What sort of things would be on there?

youlooklikeaclown Thu 24-Jan-13 15:02:06

True can be a term to refer to male or female

OneMoreChap Thu 24-Jan-13 15:04:04

isn't the problem that misogynistic comments made by other women are going to be inevitable under the patriarchy? grin

It's true - we should definitely talk about women being their own enemies more. In fact, the OP should have put that in the title really. Instead of diverting attention to her own 'mind' and herself, with that typical feminine self-centredness that always forgets to discuss the things that are really important ...

(Hey, this is quite fun, isn't it?)

kim147 Thu 24-Jan-13 15:11:36

Not sure if you're being serious or not?

It was the National TV awards last night - lots of comments about the appearance and clothes the female celebrities were wearing. And no doubt "fashion disasters". Who's making the comments and who's making the judgements?

Who writes some of the articles in "papers" such as the DM commenting and judging women based on their appearance?

Why? - now that is a whole debate.

FreyaSnow Thu 24-Jan-13 15:12:09

I'm women's worst enemy. I have a secret lair under a volcano where a teen of female minions produce Daily Mail articles about working mums and cankles.

FreyaSnow Thu 24-Jan-13 15:12:47

Team, even!
Sorry.

grin Resoundingly, NO! I think the whole thread is a pisstake. You weren't serious?

freya - ooh, sounds cosy. Can I join you? I breathe fire, you know. In a shrill and hysterical fashion, natch.

FreyaSnow Thu 24-Jan-13 15:19:29

The competition is pretty fierce LRD. Especially since people managed to blame the London riots on women. Could you blame the mackerel fishing problem on women maybe? Or space exploration? Or gun crime? Actually that last one has already been done.

Mmm. Well, Lalika the dog who went into space was a girl dog.

<narrows eyes at them Russians and their female dogs>

marzipananimal Thu 24-Jan-13 15:23:57

Very annoying isn't it. There should be a 'blow this poster to smithereens for derailing/wilfully misunderstanding/being an idiot' button. I would use it <unfemininely violent>

Could we have one of those comedy James Bond style things that makes the offending poster shoot out of their chair, please?

seeker Thu 24-Jan-13 15:48:34

Well, I think there is a formum somewhere where an alarm goes off when anyone uses the work misogyny, and one of a crack team of thread derailers is dispatched to make sure the discussion never gets beyond the superficial, and ends up being entirely about the experience of said derailer. With everyone else trying to raise his or her consciousness, forgetting that some people don't have a consciousness to be raised.

GetOrf Thu 24-Jan-13 15:52:08

I totally agree.

I am a determined lurker on FWR threads, and if the thread has (say) 100 or so posts when I start to read it it is so bloody depressing that about halfway through some fucker comes on to deliberately derail.

And it is deliberate. And I don't want to debate with people like that. I want them to fuck off. I know that MNHQ have stated that FWR is not pro-feminism and a safe place, and fair enough, but you can predict from a thread title if it is going to attract vitriol, and it is bloody depressing.

You'd have to have a forum where everyone could consistently spell misogyny, though, seeker. I have to watch my fingers every time I type it, and it's not just me.

seeker Thu 24-Jan-13 15:58:24

My IPad is what my ds referred to at the age of about 4 as a "sexist poo- bottom"(that's my boy!) and mis spells misogyny for me!

grin

SaskiaRembrandtVampireHunter Thu 24-Jan-13 16:17:54

I think you're all terrible to laugh at the poor, little menz. Imagine knowing you are the epicentre of the universe and being mocked for it. Terrible <<shakes heads sadly??

SaskiaRembrandtVampireHunter Thu 24-Jan-13 16:19:06

Those question marks are not supposed to be there blush That'll teach me to be sarcastic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now