Chat thread - come chat, rant, or celebrate, here!

(434 Posts)

With thanks to the lovely timetosmile - here's the new and rejuvenated Chat Thread.

Space to yak on, rant, post any of the good and bad stuff ... just basically any chat that you don't feel fits into a specific post. With a side order of reclaiming the word 'gossip'.

TerrariaMum Tue 19-Mar-13 18:10:58

have slain, oops

anyone fancy taking things further afield tonight? cough cough pasword Gloria.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 19-Mar-13 22:37:00

Err, what? It's very sensible to be scared of rats, since they bite and they carry disease.

It's less sensible to be scared of mythical creatures.

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 20-Mar-13 07:59:11

I also said that women face a lot of dragons that most men never have to. Hate condescending tone. And I don't even know him. grin

Trills Wed 20-Mar-13 08:05:39

majoreggie I do like Robert Crampton.

He may be missing a few points in his moral instruction though - there is definitely a subset of men who think that they think that rape is an abomination, but conveniently don't class the sort of things they are their friends do as rape>

Trills Wed 20-Mar-13 08:06:15

This is what happens when I type before coffee - I tell my fingers "and" and they write "are" because it's a word of the same length beginning in a. blush

I agree with you (and oh if I only made typos like that pre-coffee).

brew

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 20-Mar-13 13:54:48

Just saw this Hedy Lamarr a co-inventor of frequency-hopping. Another female inventor you don't hear about. Or maybe I'm ignorant.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 20-Mar-13 17:03:57

Blimey, no, I've heard of her as an actress!

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 20-Mar-13 18:10:46

"Lamarr wanted to join the National Inventors Council, but was reportedly told by NIC member Charles F. Kettering and others that she could better help the war effort by using her celebrity status to sell War Bonds."

Could she not have done both!? A woman with brains like that.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 21-Mar-13 22:05:14

I saw a Tree Fu Tom episode that passed the Bechdel Test

<faints>

Trills Fri 22-Mar-13 08:15:54

I do make regular typos as well, but it's the "replace with another actual word" ones that are most interesting -- it's like my fingers have a set of "known patterns" and just do one set instead of the other.

Yes I've only heard of Hedy Lamarr as an actress

EduCated Mon 25-Mar-13 18:56:06

Have you seen the #safetytipsforladies hash tag knocking about on Twitter at the moment? Brilliant but awful all in one.

UptoapointLordCopper Mon 25-Mar-13 20:56:37

I've never been on Twitter. Not sure I dare to...

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 25-Mar-13 21:48:15

There's a good twitter feminist spread sheet somewhere. LordC

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 26-Mar-13 19:50:41

A spread sheet!? My worst nightmare. grin

StickEmUp Tue 26-Mar-13 20:21:35

Omg try hashtag mens rights. Brain bleach please.
Feminism is hate?
Really hmm

DaffodilAdams Tue 26-Mar-13 20:30:25

Oh they are loons grin.

Can I just put down in black and white that my boss is a bully and a misogynist? Not in an overt way either in an abusive, gaslighting, sidelining way where he just has to dismiss your technical input or not even ask for it when appropriate. But of course it is all reasonable. Each individual incident is reasonable. Except of course the rewriting of history and meeting outcomes. That's not so reasonable. Or the fact that every woman in the office has felt bullied by him. Or that each individual incident has shaped into a pattern now. He is an incompetent fool.

There, feel better now

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 26-Mar-13 21:12:15

Daffodil - can you record all these and take it higher?

EduCated Tue 26-Mar-13 21:13:15

That's really shit sad angry

Just to counter, I'm in a new relationship blush But the more time I s

EduCated Tue 26-Mar-13 21:15:41

Oh for fecks sake.

The more time I spend with him, the more I look back and see the red flags in my previous relationship. He is kind, funny and I feel truly, truly respected by him. Unlike my ex who told me he thought it was fine to be a dick to me because he was jealous of me then had a tantrum because I hadn't shaved my legs for a few days hmm angry

DaffodilAdams Tue 26-Mar-13 21:43:10

I am keeping everything. Thankfully he is a disorganised misogynist. I put in a complaint to HR about 18 months ago which basically fizzled out because I went on maternity leave. He wasn't my boss at the time and he offered another job to a member of my team without even discussing with me and explicitly told him not to talk to me about it.

One of many things. Really there are just loads of things. HR have so far kept bouncing it back saying it is an internal department problem and to confront him etc etc. easier said than done when he is a bully. He isolated my team member and made it impossible for me to confront him without exposing the fact that my team member had spoken to me, which would have got him into trouble with said manager. Next time I complain I will have all the evidence lined up, all the i's dotted and the t's crossed. I will have already had the meetings with him about things I am unhappy with and I will see it through. The problem is there are so many things that I could complain about, where do you stop? I could end up looking like a bloody stalker or something (or a bully myself, because as we know abusive people are very good at turning the tables).

And the way he talks about his wife sad.

Educated it is a breath of fresh air isn't it after you have been in an abusive relationship. I remember thinking with my partner how lovely it was he wanted to hear about my day. And how he put himself out to help me.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 26-Mar-13 23:53:52
TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 27-Mar-13 00:02:17

<mwah hah hah>

EduCated Wed 27-Mar-13 07:41:41

It really is, and I wouldn't even go so far as to say I was in an abusive relationship, but I think it was a narrow escape and I got out at the right time. Everything sounds much worse when it's written down. But then maybe that's just because when its written down I can't minimise it? sad

I always remember tickling him the one day and he stamped on my foot in retaliation. Was so shocked that he couldn't see why that was wrong or why I was upset by it and just kept laughing and telling me I was overreacting angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now