Chat thread - come chat, rant, or celebrate, here!

(434 Posts)

With thanks to the lovely timetosmile - here's the new and rejuvenated Chat Thread.

Space to yak on, rant, post any of the good and bad stuff ... just basically any chat that you don't feel fits into a specific post. With a side order of reclaiming the word 'gossip'.

Oh, yeah? wink Entirely altruistic, is it? grin

I love children's books, I need no excuse to read them. I agree Ursula le Guin is fantastic. Diana Wynne Jones too - and my impression with her is that she wrote a lot for her sons, as she wrote more female characters when they were older (one of her sons was a lecturer of mine). I totally agree with you about the way she observes - so brilliant. I love her books.

How old are your boys?

UptoapointLordCopper Mon 15-Apr-13 16:52:28

9 and 7. smile Proper menaces. I have started reading the preteen board. << feeling old ... >>

UptoapointLordCopper Mon 15-Apr-13 17:00:00

DS1 has just got into the Harry Potter books. DS2 is unpredictable - tried to like the books but I think his heart's not in it. DS1 has plans to read the Hobbit after Harry Potter but I have plans to divert him to Diana Wynne Jones. grin But they are readers and will pick what they fancy and there is no telling ...

Oh, but that's a great age, there's so much out there to buy for us them!

Theresa Thomlinson probably more like 9 (or older, but I was dead sheltered!) than 7. What is lovely is the Children of Green Knowe by Lucky M Boston. It does have a male main character, but two wonderful strong female characers too, and it is a lovely book. If they like that, Chimneys of Green Knowe has a main female character.

(Maybe you know these, sorry! I just get giddy about books as I love them!).

Alan Garner's books are great too, IMO, but lots are for older ages.

Do you know Wynne Jones's Magicians of Caprona? I love that so much. I think the thing I like best is that it re-tells a Romeo and Juliet story, but does it so as to present boys being friends with girls as normal. I think that's great. Cos I was thinking, of the books we're talking about, you don't get many boy-girl friend pairs, do you? Siblings, yes, but not often friends.

Same in grown up books, I suppose.

Lucky?! Lucy.

God almighty, that gave you the wrong impression, sorry! blush

UptoapointLordCopper Mon 15-Apr-13 17:15:44

I love the Magicians of Caprona. Such a kind book, I thought.

I read the Weirdstone book - the relationship between the siblings are good, but it might be too scary. grin

I'll check out the Lucy M Boston books too next time. We have maxed out all our library cards now...

The Stone Book is (IMO) very sweet and not scary. I agree the Weirdstone is scary!

I agree about Magicians - it is lovely and kind. But beautifully non-preachy. As a dyslexic her idea of children who don't do magic well struck a chord with me. grin

I'm wondering if the Boston books would be in the library ... they only came back into print quite recently, it's daft to recommend I suppose. I'll see if they're in my local bookshop.

UptoapointLordCopper Mon 15-Apr-13 19:09:54

Tomorrow's Woman's Hour on why so few female mathematics professors.

DaffodilAdams Mon 15-Apr-13 19:45:38

LordCopper I got Laura Marlin (Lauren St John) for my nephew's 9th birthday and he asked for another one for his 10th. I haven't read them but they have a girl detective as a central character which I thought might be a nice change. His mum seems to like them too.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 15-Apr-13 22:31:45

Ah, that's reminded me to stick the Howl's Moving Castle DVD on Ds1's birthday list.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 15-Apr-13 22:33:49

I'm having a PD James fest at the moment. Kate is a good character, even if she does fancy Dalgliesh a bit.

Say what you like about Poirot, at least no-one fancied him.

TeiTetua Mon 15-Apr-13 22:38:40

Not even Miss Lemon?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 15-Apr-13 22:46:29

Ooh, who was Miss Lemon (hazy memory)?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 16-Apr-13 00:20:31

Sounds like a Cluedo misfit!

TeiTetua Tue 16-Apr-13 00:27:02

IIRC, in the books she was just "Poirot's efficient secretary". In the TV series they made her more of a full character, which I thought added some interest, and of course one wants to see more women on screen (except as sexualized figures, but that was never Agatha Christie's style).

TerrariaMum Tue 16-Apr-13 13:17:20

Oooh, Doctrine, let me warn you that the DVD of Howl's Moving Castle is nothing like the book at all. It changes the plot quite significantly. Even Hayao Miyazaki has since admitted that he got it wrong.

Also, with regards to PD James, you can't really blame Kate for fancying Dalgliesh. I rather fancy him myself.

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 16-Apr-13 13:32:50

I was really disappointed in Howl's Moving Castle DVD! The book and the sequels are good. In fact the sequels are nothing as complicated as HMC.

Talking about them makes me want to read them again ...

TerrariaMum Sat 20-Apr-13 14:51:14

I wished I had HMC the other day when I was in labour with DD2 but we lent it to my friend's niece.

I hope it is ok to announce my pride in having given birth to DD2 on 17 April. DD1 has been insisting the whole of this pregnancy that 'Mummy tummy sisser' and she was right.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 20-Apr-13 15:36:05

Congratulations! flowers

TerrariaMum Sat 20-Apr-13 16:52:09

Thank you. She is a snuggly love.

UptoapointLordCopper Sat 20-Apr-13 17:23:01

Congratulations!

UptoapointLordCopper Sat 20-Apr-13 18:41:14

Following on talking about HMC DVD, I watched My Neighbour Totoro last night. That is a masterpiece.

TerrariaMum Sun 21-Apr-13 08:09:04

Isn't it though? I love its simplicity and the way Mei genuinely howls when her mummy isn't coming back from hospital. And Mr. Kusakabe is one of the best film dads ever.

Sunnywithshowers Sun 21-Apr-13 15:38:29

Congratulations Terraria smile xx

DaffodilAdams Mon 22-Apr-13 22:29:34

Congratulations Terraria. Hope you are having lots of newborn cuddles and enough sleep!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now