Jada Pinket-Smith and her daughter...

(25 Posts)
HalloweenNameChange Wed 28-Nov-12 16:56:03

Will Smith is a scientologist?? shock

I like the quote although saw W Smith talking about her cutting her hair and he said he reminded her what her song was called grin

Maybe "ashamed" was a bit much. Maybe I just meant that it is the fact that its seen as issue up for discussion /explanation by her mother that makes me uncomfortable. Yes- "ashamed" was a bit OTT. "Uncomfortable" is a much better word on reflection.

MrsWolowitz Tue 27-Nov-12 20:25:37

Oh I just saw your second post which wasn't so harsh.

I still don't like being 'ashamed' of though.

MrsWolowitz Tue 27-Nov-12 20:24:11

But she was asked.

She kind of did say "she fancied it short" but elaborated on it in a very articulate way.

I'm pretty hmm that you find this quote something to be ashamed of. I think its a good example of not trying to mould your daughter into what you or society thinks they should be.

I just think that at 11, how she looks shouldn't be purposefully challenging ANYTHING. She should just...,,,,be. I really hope that her choice of haircut WAS that she just fancied a change/it's more practiclal rather than a conscious desire to make it a feminist statement.

I don't know. Not being v articulate- I'm having a wee before settling the kids to sleep!!!!!!'

It's the whole thing of comment by anyone AT ALL on a little girl's appearance. Especially her mother! Whatever the reason is. I would have been much more heartened by her mum saying "she's a little girl - she fancied her hair short this time. <shrug>." End of story - no feminist (or any other point) to make as this is a CHILD and should be allowed to remain such.

Meglet Tue 27-Nov-12 20:05:27

Well, I like the quote.

Yes, a 10yo popstar may well have a rough ride and her parents would have had a lot of influence on it. But even so, I'm glad Willow isn't trying to be a cute + glittery pop star, there's been plenty of them. I quite liked the song

LynetteScavo Tue 27-Nov-12 20:03:10

But her style is socially acceptable, especially for an older teen.

But she's 11. He hair is styled and died. Yes, part of it is shaved, but it's not as if conforming to society or fashion has been thrown out of the window....she's adopted the style of someone no longer a child.

I doubt it will be long before she gets her first tattoo.

MrsWolowitz Tue 27-Nov-12 19:56:04

Curly Do you mean me?

I'm not trying to make her into a something whos appearance should be judged. Honestly, thats the exact opposite intention of this thread. I don't see how you can take it any other way than how it is intended.

I think its great that she is challenging what is socially acceptable as beauty or fashion. Thats why I linked the quote. I think its really positive and really like the Jada's attitude towards this issue.

Poor kid. After seeing her in that Whip my hair video a couple of years back when she was only 10 I thought "there's a little girl who's in the media/fashion/music spotlight at FAR too young an age. Why can't her parents let her be a child?"

A Drew Barrymore in the makingif ever I saw one. And now she's got people commenting on her hair style at the age of 12. FGS. Sometimes I'm ashamed of posts that appear on MN.

helpyourself Tue 27-Nov-12 19:20:22

Oh well. Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day. She's right about this.

They are scientologists.

akaemmafrost Tue 27-Nov-12 19:11:59

I think it's great.

LynetteScavo Tue 27-Nov-12 19:10:22

I'm meh about the hair. It's not just a buzz cut, it's styled and coloured, and looks pretty good IMO. And hair grows.

But the piercings? On an 11yo? I wouldn't "let" my DD have them.

helpyourself Tue 27-Nov-12 19:09:04

I like it too.
Hope they're not scientologists. sad
It's all the stronger as as an African American woman the whole issue of hair care and image is a real issue.

TeiTetua Tue 27-Nov-12 19:08:38

Oh, it's already linked? Sorry, I didn't notice.

Even a person who makes big mistakes in life might get a few things right.

Caerlaverock Tue 27-Nov-12 19:05:58

I like it

madwomanintheattic Tue 27-Nov-12 19:04:28

This was linked on the haircut thread, tei...

AbigailAdams Tue 27-Nov-12 19:03:48

I find it difficult to believe she is a Scientologist and is "allowed" to say things like that without recourse. Scientology is hugely misogynistic (without the whole mad scientist bit). It is incredibly controlling. So if she is, doubly good on her for bucking her cult.

And as LadyIsabella says just because she is in the entertainment industry and a scientologist doesn't make what she said any less true.

Strawhatpirate Tue 27-Nov-12 18:58:08

It's a nice quote but I don't know how applicable it is to the real world. When I was a little girl I wanted to do lots of things to alter my appearance but DM said no because as an adult she understood I would regret them immediately.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Tue 27-Nov-12 18:50:49

"Crap wannabe popstar" is harsh. The kids' parents are professional singers and actors, their children are reasonably talented and want to do it too. You don't become less worthy of respect just because you're working in the entertainment industry.

The "lavender marriage" rumours are not proven (unless you happen to know otherwise?) - and of the three couples the Smiths seem the least plausible (surely he wouldn't have done 6 Degrees of Separation if he were gay)

The Scientology thing is dodgy of course, but just as some things are true even though the Daily Mail says they are true, some things can be wise even if a Scientologist says them - they are not contractually obliged to be deluded about every aspect of their life, and in fact Hubbard sprinkled a fair amount of reasonable self-help truisms over his alien bollocks "religion".

MrsWolowitz Tue 27-Nov-12 18:46:53

Bunny Why should the girl's aspirations to be a singer make her mother fostering her indivuality any less positive?

TeiTetua Tue 27-Nov-12 18:41:01

Oh, how much better to be ill-informed. I don't know anything about these people.

I was just thinking of how it ties in with "Why am I struggling to cut dd's hair short?"

Meh. Would be more admirable if the child wasn't another crap wannabe pop star.

Or if her parents weren't purporting to be the perfect couple while living the whole Gay Scientologist Sham Marriage a la The Travoltas.

<shrug>

MrsWolowitz Tue 27-Nov-12 18:32:06

I just read this on a friend's FB.

"
When Jada Pinkett-Smith was asked why she let her daughter Willow shave her head, this is what she said:

"This subjec
t is old but I have never answered it in its entirety. And even with this post it will remain incomplete.

The question why I would LET Willow cut her hair. First the LET must be challenged. This is a world where women, girls are constantly reminded that they don't belong to them
selves; that their bodies are not their own, nor their power, or self determination. I made a promise to endow my little girl with the power to always know that her body, spirit, and her mind are HER domain. Willow cut her hair because her beauty, her value, her worth is not measured by the length of her hair. It's also a statement that claims that even little girls have the RIGHT to own themselves and should not be a slave to even their mother's deepest insecurities, hopes, and desires. Even little girls should not be a slave to the preconceived ideas of what a culture believes a little girl should be. More to come. Another day."

I thought it was so great I'd share it here.

I hope my DDs feel so encouraged to be individual and challenge the social norms of beauty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now