What is the feminist view of the Julian Assange stand off

(118 Posts)
TeamGBsometimes Sat 18-Aug-12 13:34:41

It should be simple shouldn't it. The man is wanted for questioning in Sweden for a sexual assault allegation. Sweden is a western democracy, not a country known for human rights transgressions. I'm sure it's not 100% squeaky clean, nowhere's perfect.

Are Ecuador right or wrong to allow him to asylum in their embassy? Should we just be looking at the sexual assault charge and ignoring the wiki leaks background?

HullMum Sat 11-May-13 15:10:26

have any of you heard of code pink? I was disturbed to find and email from then listing Assange as a notable person also taking part in the hunger strike they were promoting angry aparentlt we should all strive to be like a notable rapist

memberfor Sat 11-May-13 02:47:26

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

memberfor Sat 11-May-13 02:46:22

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Sunnywithshowers Sat 11-May-13 02:45:24

Have you considered that the reason Ardin has accused someone of sexual molestation is because she was sexually assaulted? Radical feminists get raped / sexually assaulted too you know.

memberfor Sat 11-May-13 02:43:28

memberfor Sat 11-May-13 02:41:25

Sunnywithshowers Sat 11-May-13 02:39:26

I think Assange should go back and face the music, frankly. And if the two women are lying (as you allege memberfor) then he will be found innocent.

memberfor Sat 11-May-13 02:37:31

memberfor Sat 11-May-13 02:35:08

memberfor Sat 11-May-13 02:34:08

EmmyFlavs Fri 10-May-13 17:43:40

wisdom, this isnt about liking or disliking, the fact of the matter is, he has been accused of serious sexual crimes and these girls have the right to have their day in court. None of us, not pro or anti Julian Assange knows the finer details of the case, and none of us are in the right Forum, the Forum should be a court room. Its fair to point out that Wikileaks is separate from Julian Assange, he is using Wiki and his followers to evade Court, and before you start talking about some extradition to the USA, that is purely in ASSANGES mind, and you will NOT find any evidence that full supports his claim, it is purely speculation. He has hidden himself away in an Embassy of a country who does NOT afford the civil liberties that Julian Assange claims to 'strive to achieve ' for the rest of us.

This man who once was enigmatic and rebellious, has fallen to the same paranoia as the likes of George Galloway.

Those women, deserve their day in Court, and Wisdom, so by your rational, ''because you like Julian Assange then that means he couldn't possibly rape anyone'' yes? Is that the jist of it?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 09-Oct-12 09:08:32
Thedoctrineofennis Fri 07-Sep-12 22:50:05

Hopkins that is bollocks.

Lollygag, so is that.

wisdomoflollygag Fri 07-Sep-12 22:13:11

hopkinsthewitchfindergeneral Fri 07-Sep-12 19:26:21

how Julian Assange uber geek of the cyber world could have consensual sex with anyone is beyond me so on that basis alone the verdict HAS to point to rape doesn't it ? He spends longer in front of a PC than people who post on "gender sensitive enlightened" forums

TheDoctrineOfEnnis Mon 03-Sep-12 17:56:48
KRITIQ Wed 29-Aug-12 00:59:54

I wouldn't put money on that myself, but you can if you like!

Whatmeworry Wed 29-Aug-12 00:56:21

Sure, he is swapping today's certain frying pan for tomorrow's possible fire, and hoping something comes up in the meantime - but this way there is a meantime.

KRITIQ Tue 28-Aug-12 22:59:51

And American has a track record of covert activities in that region to topple governments and questionable means of extracting people they want. Rafael Correa won't be in office forever. His successor might be tempted to hand over his "prize" to the US for the right "price."

Whatmeworry Tue 28-Aug-12 22:41:58

Ecuador has a great track record of extraditing people when it suits them

I think the UK and Sweden's enthusiasm in this case has taken quite a lot of people by surprise....Ecuador at least has the benefit of being anti-American.

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 28-Aug-12 16:07:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JuliaScurr Mon 27-Aug-12 14:00:04
JuliaScurr Mon 27-Aug-12 13:59:19

Women Against Rape are part of Crossroads, inc Wages for Housework, English Collective of Prostitutes

they think they're Marxists - they're not

http://www.marxists.org/subject/women/authors/davis-angela/housework.htm

TheDoctrineOfEnnis Sat 25-Aug-12 22:40:10

Merlin (I have typed your name a few times now and phone has finally stopped autocorrecting to Merkin blush but is now trying with Berlin!) I think it used to be like that re soil but now it's more a figure of speech. Plus the Ecuadorian embassy is in an office block near Harrods so has no roof for Bond-style helicopter rescue of Assange. He's stuck there - though they might have got him a non-air bed by now.

MerlinScot Sat 25-Aug-12 21:59:42

TheDoE, I was convinced 100% that when you're inside an embassy you are benefiting of the same advantages like being on the saem country's soil...
I must update myself about that too.

Anyway, for the moment it seems that this situation isn't going anywhere. He's not leaving the embassy but he can't be arrested inside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now