misandry doesn't exist

(470 Posts)
MitchierInge Fri 06-Jan-12 10:14:58

not in a sort of homologous (if that's the word?) way to misogyny anyway - society just isn't that evolved yet

FrothyDragon Thu 07-Feb-13 19:33:16

Nope, most people with mental health issues can refrain from shooting people.

You know what the majority of perpetrators of gun violence have in common? It's not their "mental health problems", it's their sex. Otherwise, women wouldn't be 83 times more likely to be a victim of gun violence than a perpetrator of gun violence.

And you know what? This male dominance in gun violence isn't down to biology, or "boys will be boys" syndrome. It's down to our cult of masculinity. Guess what. This bloody cult has men killing. Regularly. But hey. Let's still try to blame women and those with mental health issues.

OneMoreChap Sun 03-Feb-13 13:01:02

Men commit almost 100% of the gun violence in the US.

Indeed.

And sticking bullets in people is not a satirical action, I think we can agree.

As FB suggests, it's only fun until someone's eye get put out or something then it's not fun [satire]. Then it is a mental health problem.

FrothyDragon Sun 03-Feb-13 12:06:32

But,y'know, let's focus on ONE woman, OneManChap, when men ROUTINELY do the same to women... Men commit almost 100% of the gun violence in the US.

FastidiaBlueberry Sat 02-Feb-13 23:26:10

Yes 20 years later after suffering mental health problems. Clearly she'd given up satire by then. hmm

OneMoreChap Sat 02-Feb-13 20:52:10

FFS how anyone can say that the weird SCUM individual was a satirist when she put bullets into 2 people is beyond me.

AbigailAdams Sat 02-Feb-13 17:05:01

Oh I see what mug meant by the women not wanting to contribute bit now. Thanks LRD.

Yes why do you think women don't want to race with men? Why do you think they think men would spoil the party atmosphere? And why do you think that is more selfish than men not wanting to organise their own events?

RM76 Sat 02-Feb-13 17:00:08

I know I am way late, and haven't time to read whole thread now, mainly because I was reading the excellent article thunderboltsandlightning linked at the start of the thread.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and as the thread is now in the late teens, thought I'd re-post the link, in case anyone missed it.
Awesome piece, thank you so much thunder, much appreciated. (Like I said, no time to read right now, so sorry if others have been re-posting it, but hey, ho, that wouldn't be a bad thing)

www.adonismirror.com/10152006_leader_misandry_and_misanthropy.htm

Why do you think women don't want to contribute? confused

You didn't mention that before, only that women felt unable to when the event was taken over.

Surely you don't think it's ok for men to cut off their noses to spite their faces by refusing to raise money with a second race? Don't you think that is a little selfish? They could race, and raise money.

AbigailAdams Sat 02-Feb-13 15:36:43

What do you mean women not contributing? They are the ones contributing ffs. Their time and their effort. For men's benefit too (now there's a change hmm).

And what is wrong with men organising a separate race on the same day? Go ahead do it. Just let women run with other women if they want to. And women being selfish, hey? What is the world coming to?

Mitchy1nge Sat 02-Feb-13 14:48:02

sorry, what was the reason again for men not setting up a separate mixed event?

Mugofteaforme Sat 02-Feb-13 14:43:52

Abigail: I don't think women wanting to run with other women is man hating, what I find very sad is women not wanting to contribute to the cause simply because the event will lose some of it's atmosphere. Actually I think men hating was too strong a word, but men must be considered in pretty low regard if funds are dropped simply because of their participation. In certain cases this is justified, but there must have been significant numbers (like my friends) who considered it for selfish reasons otherwise CRUK wouldn't have come to their decision to maintain the status quo.

and no I don't think women should give up their places to men, but perhaps two separate races on one day?. If there isn't enough space keep it a womens only event.

AbigailAdams Sat 02-Feb-13 14:13:11

But you are right boardrooms and golf course meetings aren't the same as race for life. The former are far more common and wield far more status and power.

AbigailAdams Sat 02-Feb-13 14:07:44

Oh and I don't haveto see the bigger picture at all. Mind you I already am, it is you who seems to have a very narrow view of the world.

AbigailAdams Sat 02-Feb-13 14:06:07

Well I must admit I did think it was for breast cancer but meh it is even better that men get to benefit from all the fundraising, surely.

All these races have limited numbers which are normally filled (well the one near us certainly is). So what you are saying is that women is should give up their places for men. Not that men join in? Do you think men raise more money than women or something? Men have organised November for prostate cancer. Do you think that shoul have to include women?

You still haven't answered why you think women wanting to run with other women = man hating? Is that the only reason you can think of why women would want women-only spaces? If so I would say there is some projection going on there.

The bigger picture is that some people are being selfish, and putting that before important issues like raising money to fight cancer and like respecting women.

It's very simple, isn't it?

I am shocked that you think these are acceptable ways to behave, mug. I suggest you start setting up a second race, perhaps for men or for men and women, and then you would have the opportunity to raise more money for this important cause.

FastidiaBlueberry Sat 02-Feb-13 13:27:04

"Try to see the bigger picture"

This is the sort of patronising bollocks men say to women to tell us our opinions don't count.

That's why we sometimes like to organise events where we don't have to put up with that sort of shit.

FastidiaBlueberry Sat 02-Feb-13 13:25:59

So go and set up a men's race for cancer then, instead of inflicting men on women who want to be able to talk to each other without men talking over them and silencing them (which is what men do in spaces with women).

Why don't men set up their own race and then they can raise double the amount for this oh so important cause?

Mugofteaforme Sat 02-Feb-13 13:16:42

AA:"an event organised by women"

I think it's brilliant that women organise the event and see no reason why that should change.

" for an issue that overwhelmingly affects them"

Well no actually.

•Around 158,900 males and 156,300 females were newly diagnosed with cancer each year in the UK during 2007–09, corresponding to incidence rates of 427 per 100,000 males and 371 per 100,000 females
•Around 81,600 males and 74,600 females died from cancer in each of those years in the UK, corresponding to mortality rates of 209 per 100,000 males and 151 per 100,000 females

Source: Office of National Statistics
http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/cancer-unit/cancer-incidence-and-mortality/2007-2009/index.htm

So both the diagnosis and death rates are actually higher in men then women for recent years thus women are not overwhelmingly affected.

Unless you're going purely on Breast Cancer, but this isn't a Breast Cancer event. It's for all Cancers.

"It is just wanting a woman only space"

That's great, but try to see the bigger picture. This isn't a round of golf or a board meeting or a woman only gym it's a fight against Cancer and that fight needs every penny it can get.

AbigailAdams Sat 02-Feb-13 12:34:27

In fact begrudging women the opportunity to meet other women who have encountered the same problems and discuss their experiences in a friendly environment is quite shitty. Thankfully most men do not share your view.

AbigailAdams Sat 02-Feb-13 12:26:21

Really you are arguing that an event organised by women for an issue that overwhelmingly affects them is misandry. Ffs. How insensitive and crass can you get?
It isn't anti-male sentiment. It is just wanting a woman only space. We are allowed to have them. Wanting to have a space just for women does not equate to hating men. Why would you think that? Do you think men are misogynists for having board meetings with no women on the board. Or rounds of golf with their mates/business contacts? It is 30 whole minutes away from men. I think men's egos can take it. But no, you begrudge women that.

FastidiaBlueberry Sat 02-Feb-13 12:07:47

Look at Rape Crisis.

Why don't men set up their own event, if they are so desperate to run?

Why are they so insistent that women are not allowed to organise without them?

Mugofteaforme Sat 02-Feb-13 12:06:37

FB: This is not a question of the race per se, it's the fact that a lot of women (excluding the groups mentioned previously)would have put selfish anti-male sentiment over the battle against this terrible disease.This is a form of Misandry.

I'd also like to see the source of your "1 in 4" statistic, and it's underlying methodology if possible.

FastidiaBlueberry Sat 02-Feb-13 12:04:12

Yes if men want to do a run for cancer, why don't they set up an event, instead of crashing the event that was set up and run by women for women?

Some men can't stand to see women doing something unsupervised without men, can they?

I don't think you realize how many people those 'legitimate reasons' might affect.

I think it is exceedingly selfish that men would want to gate-crash this event, which as you say, is to raise money for a disease that effects everybody.

How very selfish. And how lazy - it would raise more money to run two events.

That said, I find it very unlikely many men would want to do this. It'll be a minority of selfish types, because most people who want to raise money for cancer aren't selfish.

FastidiaBlueberry Sat 02-Feb-13 10:27:28

"there would be a relatively small proportion of people for very legitimate reasons wouldn't be able to run alongside the men (e.g.Medical condition, domestic violence, rape)"

So what percentage would that be then? (1 in 4 women have experience of serious domestic violence.)

And what do you think should be done about them? Should they just piss off and not run then, because men's right to be in their space and change the whole event into a completely different event, must be accomodated?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now