Happy Patriarchymas!

(385 Posts)
thunderboltsandlightning Sat 24-Dec-11 21:48:32

I know, I know - but this is the feminist section and christmas is about celebrating the birth of the son of god, with women's spirituality and power completely written out of the story. It's the classic patriarchal mindfuck for women. Even Santa's a man, but who does most of the present-buying and wrapping?

Then there's the fact that christmas is all about women doing most of the work, with men enjoying the benefits.

Each year I find it a little more difficult to have to go through it all. Once you've seen what it's about, it gets harder to ignore the brainwashing.

Hope everybody has a happy peaceful time, whatever you are celebrating.

Lovecat Tue 25-Dec-12 11:37:06

Merry Patriarchymas! I'm drinking pink champagne & eating chocolate croissants while DD is forcing DH to teach her how to use her inline skates.

Turkey has been on since 7...........

NB This is the first Christmas I haven't been to church since I was born. I'm not even guilty. I think I'm finally becoming a lapsed Catholic - cheers! grin

jessjessjess Tue 25-Dec-12 11:51:29

Who says women do all the work in all houses? Bit unfair to assume that's always the case - my DH did the big food shop and does all the cooking and most of the washing up.

If you do everything for men and then complain about it, you are part of the problem.

LRDtheFeministDude Tue 25-Dec-12 22:15:36

Season's Greetings and Down with the Patriarchy! grin

Nice to resurrect an old thread, SQ.

jess - no one, that's who! grin

Sunnywithachanceofjinglebells Tue 25-Dec-12 22:34:10

Merry Patriarchymas all.

I'm sitting here with my umpteenth glass of wine smile

LRDtheFeministDude Tue 25-Dec-12 22:35:17

One of the few truly feminist ways to celebrate! grin

FrothyDragon Tue 25-Dec-12 23:34:55

Merry Patriarchymas, you lovely lot!

I'm severely under the influence of a few glasses of wine, ne thought I'd drop by and share yhe tale of my Patriarchymas with you all.
The Old Dragons (AKA Teh Parents) turned up at half eleven this morning (yes, after that moan the people who know me on Facebook saw...) Don't see parents often, so Mini-Dragon was suitably excited, and went tearing down the passage as soon as they pulled up. First thing I heard from DM... "His hair's getting long. You need to cut it, before people think he's a girl..." hmm (It's shorter than the last time they saw him...)

So, Mini-Dragon drags DM and DF indoors, ready to show them the treats Santa's brought him... A baking set, books, a pirate ship, a game, DVDs, and the pride of his stocking, an Ariel doll (MD is Little Mermaid obsessed, and has been begging for an Ariel doll since last year... Is now tucked up in bed with Ariel, Jessie and his Little Mermaid book.) Upon Ariel being waved in her face, DM commented... "I know he looks like a girl, but you don't need to buy him girls toys too". angry Luckily DF took more of an interest as MD took to showing him how her dress turned into her tail, and her shoes, and what not....

Anyway, quick dash round DSil's. Another year, another poke at the "singleton". Last year, I got a "grow your own boyfriend". This year, a "blow up" boyfriend. Why do we not have a facepalm smiley yet?

(Luckily sanity was restored upon arriving at SIL's parents'... sans my own parents... That is, until MD ended up with a sherry trifle by mistake... I'm sure he wasn't walking straight afterwards...)

Anyway! Back to el vino! Merry Patriarchymas to some of my favourite people! grin wine

LRDtheFeministDude Tue 25-Dec-12 23:59:39

I'll suggest we have a nice solidarity-fest in anticipation, frothy ... I'm off to my parents tomorrow!

On the plus side, sounds like a lovely haul of presents for your DS, and I hope you had some nice things too. smile

(And wine wine wine ...)

FrothyDragon Wed 26-Dec-12 00:16:25

Ooooh, good luck for tomorrow, LRD! grin <sends MD to provide lectures on sexism/relevant problem points>

He got Brave from Nanny and Grandad Dragon... Cleverly sneaking in a feminist approved film without them realising.

If it helps, when the parents start, I just imagine the FWR section having a good chuckle... "They whaaaaat? Pass the wine, I can't believe this one..."

Frans1980 Thu 27-Dec-12 00:44:47

I heard christmas was originally actually a non-religious pagan holiday before it was hijacked by christians who added the whole jesus stuff.

SolidGoldFrankensteinandmurgh Thu 27-Dec-12 01:08:14

Frans: Yup. Common to Roman, Norse and Celtic traditions. Basically everyone in the northern hemisphere went in for a spell of feasting, being nice, giving gifts and lighting lights in the middle of winter and that's why a lot of people still do it now. Christmas is just the most current name for it (just as people use the names of days of the week which were originally references to Norse and Roman deities...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now