Any ex riot grrls around? Great kathleen hanna interview

(10 Posts)
kirigamirose Fri 04-Jan-13 15:47:45

my dd is becoming a bit of a riot grrrl grin

Heroine Thu 20-Dec-12 23:55:57

Also BTW I remember this period as being a time where riot grrrl stuff wasn't seen as radical, just a normal list of things that pissed off both sexes which is where i think it had its most power - it was normalised dissatisfaction with women in the driving seat and not being seen as tokens, patrionising or apologetic which I wish we could get back to - feminism now is so academic, or reactionary rather than driving, honest and head-clearing.

Its a shame that people who were around this scene had to clean up to get jobs when actually it had the potential to be a new world. I hope we get a revival, women in the news and music are so bloody sappy (except pink!) these days because of chasing the dollar.

I wanna see more girl bands! I do! smile

Heroine Thu 20-Dec-12 23:38:18

Also what I liked about this stuff was the lack of reverence to some stupid sociology lecturer saying 'actually you should say this or say that' it was cool perversion. I agree with the 'this girl thinks she's the queen of the neighbourhood, I've got news for you SHE IS' analysis on this prog. It was cool to say 'she fucking rules' and get behind someone who is the same sex as you..

loverly smile

Heroine Thu 20-Dec-12 23:32:18

Fuck this period was awesome..

wargasm wargasm 1 2 3
tie a yellow ribbon round the amputee

What a awesome 2 line condemnation of male war shit.. smile

I loved this period - all the women were interesting and the men aware but without being shitty feminist-crawling saps looking out for a shag. I remember many a night with a guy I fancied where we ended up arguing and going away with our heads buzzing about finding someone who fucking found out who we were, and didn't like us even despite tits and a desire to shag! It was quite thrilling when I look back!

smile

TheSmallClanger Thu 09-Jun-11 16:35:52

I liked the way that they brought feminism back into popular culture, and Kathleen Hanna's later work with Le Tigre is great, but Riot Grrl was a bit of a let-down for me musically. I'd say that Hungry for Stink was the only really good album that came from the first wave.

I wanted it to be about the music, but it was the politics that was the most important. Sloganeering and exhibitionism won out against tunes, and in some ways, I don't think that did the cause of female musicianship much good.

I do think now that there are a lot of talented women musicians coming through, more than in recent years, now. It is a good time to be a female musician.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cool!

I was a bit young in the 90s to 100% embrace the Riot Grrl movement, but got into it towards the end and have snapped up a lot of CDs in charity shops since smile

sprogger Thu 09-Jun-11 13:02:49

Me too. So great to hear from Kathleen Hanna.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StayFrosty Thu 09-Jun-11 00:10:05

here

I love everything kathleen hanna has done and i feel really lucky to have been a teenage girl in the 90s, because riot grrl was a really huge part of what got me into feminism proper.

I was lucky to have these cool women role models who unashamedly declared themselves to be feminists and would do interviews where they talked about stuff explicitly in terms of gender issues - eg about trying to start a band or going to gigs and being hassled in moshpits.

So big up kathleen hanna, i love her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now