I think I may know the answer to this , but does anyone have any good experiences with alcohol-free wine?

(10 Posts)
ehmumbo Mon 14-Jan-13 12:06:15

Sainsburys do a sparkling white with the alcohol removed - which i quite liked in a champagne flute when i was preggers...
Also not alcoholic but tonic water with ice and a slice was a good drink for me to have if out and about as it looks and feels grown up .
Oh and a virgin Mojito tastes pretty much the same!
wine enjoy.

Sorelle (comes in white or rosé) from Tesco's isn't too bad if it's chilled enough. Not tried the rosé, but the white is apparently in a Sauvignon Blanc style. It's fairly fruity but with a sharpness to it. £3.49 a bottle at the moment.

Thundernonk Tue 30-Oct-12 16:24:47

Ok I spoke to the nice people at alcoholfree.co.uk to talk about wines and they were helpful in describing how their wine is prepared. Trouble is its minimum purchase of 6 bottles, which is a fair investment without knowing. Even though they do free returns I'm not sure they'll accept six opened bottles. Oh to live in Manchester, they do free samples on all their drinks!

Will try some of the ciders, and stick to the becks whilst pondering the wine possibilities. Am still intrigued...

ScaryBeardyDeadyman Tue 30-Oct-12 10:13:56

I've taste tested on friends and given them Becks blue instead of real one and they never knew the difference!

I also had a fondness for the Bavaria lager and the kopparberg pear cider.

MrsBungleScare Tue 30-Oct-12 10:10:13

I know its not wine but the alcohol free becks blue, imo, tastes just like the real stuff.

Apart from that I never found anything I liked when pregnant.

Thundernonk Tue 30-Oct-12 10:09:31

That's so helpful, and promising, thank you scary. My local Sainsbury's doesn't stock any alc-free wines but I have tried becks blue, which was a close enough substitute to allow me to have a small moment of indulgence.

PrincessOfChina Tue 30-Oct-12 10:09:22

They're mainly sweet, or medium ime. Which means theyre all vile!

Alcohol free lagers like Becks Blue are much improved nowadays though. We did have some success with warm, non alcoholic cider too.

ScaryBeardyDeadyman Tue 30-Oct-12 10:07:06

Plus check out alcoholfree.co.uk/ and sign up to their mailing list for offers and free delivery. They import stuff that you can't get in the supermarkets.

ScaryBeardyDeadyman Tue 30-Oct-12 10:05:09

I was alcohol free for 3 years and got on fairly well. Most of the wines taste like they're priced tbh, but the sainsbo own ones weren't too bad. They do white, red and rose and even sparkling.

Also you can get a good range of beers and cider too now!

Thundernonk Tue 30-Oct-12 10:01:56

Hi all. I am in the early stages of pregnancy and while I haven't missed giving up my regular glass or three of nice red wine, I am intrigued by the range of alcohol free varieties out there.

Has anyone tried any alcohol-free wine and, has anyone actually liked any?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now