Sediment in red wine ... is it still ok to drink??

(5 Posts)
Campari Mon 22-Oct-12 16:53:52

Yes I find sediment in red wine all the time, even in cheap boxed wines.

I just pour it through a sieve and get on with the drinking!!

orienteerer Tue 22-May-12 20:58:19

You can always decant it through a muslin cloth to remove the sediment.

ladywithnomanors Tue 22-May-12 20:57:13

Thanks for the reply. I know the wine was kept horizontal so it should be ok. smile

Ruthchan Tue 22-May-12 19:24:24

Yes, it is perfectly normal to get some sediment in red wine, especially when it's a bit old.
That's the reason that wine is often decanted into a decanter. It allows the sediment to be left behind in the bottle so that nobody drinks it.
As long as the wine tastes ok and has been stored appropriately it should be fine. (Wine must be kept horizontal to keep the cork wet, at a relatively cool temperature.)
Just don't drink to the bottom of your glass or the bottom of the bottle if there is sediment there.

ladywithnomanors Tue 22-May-12 15:45:09

I've been given several bottles of red wine by a relative that have been in their house for years. The years ranging from 80's to 90's.
I opened a bottle last night and was aware to check for corkage.. that was fine no bits of cork and the wine tasted fine but at the bottom of my glass was a little sediment. Is this still ok to drink ? TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now