Mumsnet Wine Club launch wine tasting 9-10pm Thursday 24th March 2011

(394 Posts)
CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 16-Mar-11 14:27:28

By now, some of you should have had delivery of either the tasting cases you won in our prize draw, or the ones you ordered.

Inside your case you'll find six bottles which will enable you to take part in our first online wine tasting and discussion.

The bar opens at 9pm on Thursday 24th March 2011 with last orders at 10pm. All you have to do is find a glass, log on to Mumsnet and let us know what you think of what you're drinking.

We'll have one of the winemakers whose wine is included in the case, Heidi Seifried, logging in from her vineyard in Nelson, which is on the western side of New Zealand as well as Rowan Gormley, Naked Wines' founder from not-so-far-away Norfolk, who'll be on hand to answer any general wine questions you might have.

WIN CHAMPAGNE!
And if all that's not enough of an incentive, we've got three bottles of champagne on ice to offer out to Mumsnetters who join in the chat.

So whether you want to just try one bottle with us or open all six from the tasting case and invite some friends round to share the fun, we look forward to seeing you online on the night.

There's still time to order your case if you haven't done so already. It's £39.99 for the six bottles (a discount of over £25) and if you order before 21st March you'll have your wines in time for the tasting.

Cheers! wine

cantstandabba69 Thu 17-Mar-11 22:02:27

I too had a very welcomed surprise delivery (found by my confused hubby in the back garden) - after having had an especially bad fortnight this has cheered us up no end - thank you all at Mumsnet
We decided to choose one to go with dinner tonight and I insisted on a white as we were having fish. The hubby grudgingly agreed (he usually only likes red) but it's gone down very well - the loveliest wine I've tried in a long time! He's on his second glass and is now writing songs at the piano, so all is cheerful here once more.
I will try to join the live thread next week, although I'm supposed to be at a friends having my hair cut. I usually take a bottle of red with me though, so I can get her opinion too. Being over 6 months pregnant I need to spread this out a bit and get friends involved (which won't be hard!)
I'll add a review of all we've tasted on here soon too!
♥

BonzoDooDah Thu 17-Mar-11 23:45:01

Woo Hoo - I came home to a surprise delivery too. Super stuff Mumsnet and NakedWines. Just reading the labels makes me drool.
I love New Zealand wines - especially shiraz and Sauvignon Blanc ... and I've picked fruit in Nelson in exchange for Salsa lessons so great to have a Nelson vintner here.

Cheers! wine

mmsparkle Fri 18-Mar-11 12:01:24

Many thanks Mumsnet, we were delighted (and confused) to find a box of wine on our doorstep yesterday!
Tried one of the white wines yesterday - much better than the cheap plonk we'd usually buy.
More grown-up official tasting notes to come... wine

DollyTwat Fri 18-Mar-11 23:48:47

I've used naked wines for a few years now, and they're not expensive if you buy the wines on the vine. So a case of wine might cost you £25 and you get it when it's picked.
I was also lucky enough to win a case!

MrsFogi Sat 19-Mar-11 23:13:28

I love you MN - I received a surprise delivery too! This is the first competition I have won since I won £10 on the lottery when dd1 was two weeks old (she is 5.5 yo now!) so this has brightened my half decade up no end. Thank you! Have told dh we are doing an online wine tasting next week - he is very confused about the whole thing!

oh Helen, I LOVE your blue background. It really suits you.

withagoat Sun 20-Mar-11 10:02:26

DOLLY TWAT good tip about advance bookings

will do that - they need to tidy up that part of the site - too many on there sold out and sort out according to colour

Reggiee Sun 20-Mar-11 18:56:27

I'm supping the Seifried Nelson 2009 Gewurztraminer (sorry - tried to last til Thursday but it was looking at me longingly from the wine rack).
Fab wine - very easy to drink <tops up glass>. Slightly sweet and smooth. Best white I've had for a while. Thanks Heidi!

pipplin Sun 20-Mar-11 19:35:07

Reggies- I tried on Fri. Amazing! My new favourite wine.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-Mar-11 11:33:23

Oohlala - you're not too late to join Wine Club. (We'll be posting details of new promotions and competitions on the Wine Club page once this wine tasting has been and gone).

And our guests from Naked Wines will be happy to take on any general wine questions at the wine tasting webchat this coming Thursday evening.

LeninGrad Mon 21-Mar-11 20:41:53

I am just finishing their Kimbao Sauvignon from Friday shock Like it, slightly too much for me but nice nonetheless.

What's this buying on the vine thing?

Jux Wed 23-Mar-11 10:19:14

I won wine, but am unsure whether it was conditional on doing the tasting (which I can't do after all as I've done back in and am on massive painkillers - 3 different ones - and am not allowed to drink with them). Should the case I've got be picked up and given to someone else [weep!]?

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 23-Mar-11 15:06:07

Jux - it's not a three-line whip, but we really would love as many of the 100 winners as possible to come on tomorrow night for the tasting - the busier it is, the more likely we'll be to run another tasting again.

You're definitely excused duty - hope you're able to enjoy the wine soon.

confuddledDOTcom Wed 23-Mar-11 15:55:44

I shall try my best to sample as many of them as I can but being pregnant I will be limited by my lack of pregnancy alcohol tolerance as I'm a good girl.

NorkyButNice Wed 23-Mar-11 16:25:25

I'll be there tomorrow, although am not guaranteeing to taste all 6 as DH is out for the night and I'm in sole charge of children (hic!).

Might open a couple to try with dinner tonight and take notes.

r0se Wed 23-Mar-11 17:21:43

Thanks so much .. enjoyed very much .. I am afraid we actually only have one left as my other half started on them pretty much straight away .. loved the peppery one .. very nice Thanks x

Jux Wed 23-Mar-11 22:12:14

Oh thank you Catherine. I am feeling tremendously guilty about it, if that helps!

HeidiSeifried Wed 23-Mar-11 22:23:07

Hi guys

Greetings from sunny NZ.... we are up to our eyes in grapes here in the midst of our hectic harvest season! We are now a third of the way through our harvest and the fruit and wines are looking fabulous. Enjoying a run of beautiful sunny days which is just what our ripening grapes need!

Really looking forward to the Mumsnet tasting tomorrow. Pleased to know so many of you have already received your tasting packs.... I look forward to tasting through our Seifried wines along side you from this side of the planet and answering all your questions on our wines.

And, FYI, it will be 10am Friday morning here NZ time, and these will probably not be the first wines I will be sampling on the morning... I must assure you I spit routinely given the number of wines a winemaker frequently needs to sample in a day! All in a days work!

Catch you tomorrow for the tasting!

Best
Heidi

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 10:42:30

Hello everyone, Heidi and I are looking forward to our tasting tonight. 6 bottles in one hour...no problem!

Rowan

LeninGrad Thu 24-Mar-11 14:31:57

Hello, will try and join later. How do I buy on the vine?

Spidermama Thu 24-Mar-11 14:46:58

Uh Oh! Was I shpose to save ssome. <hic>

I drank the AOA white and it was lovely.

Will try and join tonight but am in work early at the mo' so early nights.

withagoat Thu 24-Mar-11 14:55:17

ive ordered the mN box
and now ordered some on the vine that im getting in september i think
was £40 the other day for 6 bottles

i think its this one although you cant see on teh site what wine you ordered - presume i have an email thing here

the angel thing is hard to understnad
somethign abotu " putting" £20 into an account

this is not at all clear - but i seem to be doing it

withagoat Thu 24-Mar-11 14:55:58

yes its that one

AtYourCervix Thu 24-Mar-11 16:49:15

Humph. Bloody lent.

Hello all, hope you have a lovely time tonight. Sadly I can't make it but it was DD2's 3rd birthday on Sunday and we had a few friends round; what better time to crack open some wine and elicit some comments?

So as I can't make it later, and we did receive a lovely box of wine as a great surprise gift from Mumsnet, here are our comments on the two we tried (NB please note, as will become rapidly apparent, I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to wine!):

Aotea Sauvignon Blanc

I'm a big fan of sauv blanc generally and NZ ones in partic and thought this was delicious! Classic sauv blanc aroma, v fruity. Initial taste a little dry but grew fruitier. Main comment was 'very quaffable'! V easy drinking, would definitely drink this again.

Kimbao Cab Sav

Lovely rich red colour. Overtones of raspberries (apparently!) and a hint of vanilla. V fruity aroma although taste was a little chemical, perhaps the sulphites? Think would have helped to let it breathe for a while rather than wading on in as we did! This wasn't generally quite as popular, possibly because of the aftertaste. Loved the paw print on the bottle (because named after their labrador, aaaaaah).

Anyway, have a fab time, will be checking back on your comments later with interest!

wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now