Mumsnet Wine Club launch wine tasting 9-10pm Thursday 24th March 2011

(394 Posts)
CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 16-Mar-11 14:27:28

By now, some of you should have had delivery of either the tasting cases you won in our prize draw, or the ones you ordered.

Inside your case you'll find six bottles which will enable you to take part in our first online wine tasting and discussion.

The bar opens at 9pm on Thursday 24th March 2011 with last orders at 10pm. All you have to do is find a glass, log on to Mumsnet and let us know what you think of what you're drinking.

We'll have one of the winemakers whose wine is included in the case, Heidi Seifried, logging in from her vineyard in Nelson, which is on the western side of New Zealand as well as Rowan Gormley, Naked Wines' founder from not-so-far-away Norfolk, who'll be on hand to answer any general wine questions you might have.

WIN CHAMPAGNE!
And if all that's not enough of an incentive, we've got three bottles of champagne on ice to offer out to Mumsnetters who join in the chat.

So whether you want to just try one bottle with us or open all six from the tasting case and invite some friends round to share the fun, we look forward to seeing you online on the night.

There's still time to order your case if you haven't done so already. It's £39.99 for the six bottles (a discount of over £25) and if you order before 21st March you'll have your wines in time for the tasting.

Cheers! wine

confuddledDOTcom Thu 17-Mar-11 09:08:29

Yay! Just had my delivery, thank you!

OH is trying to convince me I don't have to drink them all all on Thursday between 9pm and 10pm grin he tried telling me "but you can't drink them" ha! Pregnancy hasn't stopped me yet wink (seriously I won't drink all of them in one go, I don't drink a lot anyway let alone pregnant)

withagoat Thu 17-Mar-11 09:10:59

How will it work? Will you do ALL six in one night?!

withagoat Thu 17-Mar-11 10:50:08

?

withagoat Thu 17-Mar-11 10:59:49

oh bloody hell ive succummbed

anyone want my reds?

confuddledDOTcom Thu 17-Mar-11 11:17:03

I don't mind some more wine wink

Just had a delivery, lovely

Only problem is, I'm not around next Thursday. I'll have to visit the thread later on.

The wines look very nice, and I've been to Nelson <<waves to Heidi who must be up very early and probably not in a wine-drinking mood when the tasting happens>>

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 17-Mar-11 12:58:08

Yes we'll cover all six on the night.

It's going to be between 10-11am in New Zealand, so it's not hideously early for Heidi.

Not hideously early to be up, but maybe a liitle bit early for wine wink

I was thinking it was 12 hrs offset but forgot about daylight savings.

5inthebed Thu 17-Mar-11 13:44:38

I've just got home to find a surprise delivery of wine grin. Didn't even realise I'd won. Postman left the box by my bins though, luckily I live off the road.

Ooooh how exciting, just got home to find my delivery too! I'm doing a pampered chef that night so will have to share my wine

When you say we'll be covering all six is that so people have a choice of which one/s to try? tis a school night after all wink

wine

Just got my delivery too, thank you Mumsnet! Actually tried to give it back to the delivery man as had no recollection of entering the competition. Ha! Sadly, I too will not be able to make the Thurs eve but quite happy to taste a few beforehand and leave my comments ... Am a big fan of New Zealand whites (have been to Nelson too) but can't usually afford them!

Bottoms up wine

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 17-Mar-11 15:14:05

If you can't make it on the night, do please post any tasting comments you have before then, and we'll ask Heidi and Rowan to give us their reactions!

pipplin Thu 17-Mar-11 16:01:13

I also got a surprise delivery! Thank you very much!
I'll be here on Thurs
Had such a crap and worrying week, am taking a bottle to taste with my folks tomorrow for a late lunch to cheer me up.
Cheers everyone wine

confuddledDOTcom Thu 17-Mar-11 17:07:00

A day for winning, my daughter came home with worker of the week (she's been off sick two days, too) although she doesn't get the case of wine as a prize grin

Mine was delivered quite early, I was up but upstairs and the postman put it inside the house when I didn't come straight down. It's bin day here so probably better than the street! I didn't remember the competition either but was hoping it was a belated birthday present wink

MaureenMLove Thu 17-Mar-11 17:22:41

Thankyou Mumsnet! I look forward to enjoying it with you!

I'm away Friday-Friday so I guess that means I'd better try one tonight and post my comments!

dawntigga Thu 17-Mar-11 18:37:37

Just got mine.

WeWereSupposedToWait?HicTiggaxx

PS Just joking it's in the fridge or on the wine rack accordingly {wink]

SilveryMoon Thu 17-Mar-11 19:08:16

I came home from work to discover a box waiting by my front door. I saw the words 'naked wine' and was a bit confused.............
Thank you so much mumsnet
I am going to a friends for drinks tomorrow and think I will take a few bottles along so they can taste too.
I'm not a red wine girl, so wouldn't have a clue, but my friend's aren't fussy!!
look forward to the thread on 24th, have just put it on my diary

Indaba Thu 17-Mar-11 19:58:26

Live overseas so can't join in....but just wanted to say well done for who ever came up with this idea.

Oh have been off Mumsnet for a while and I have no idea why I became a stranger when such sensible stuff is happening here.

Enjoy! wine

oohlaalaa Thu 17-Mar-11 20:22:01

This is a thread hijack, now give me your red wine advice.

(unfortunately I missed to join the mumsnet wine club, so cant contribute)

I'm getting married this summer, in a village hall. We have bought some Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc on special offer at £6.99 as the white table wine.

We are still to choose red wine for the tables. Our budget is £5 to £7. What do you recommend? We are eating roast beef. I was thinking possibly a Rioja.

wine

Lewymum Thu 17-Mar-11 20:29:58

Got my delivery today. Yayyyy!!! Not won anything like that before so very pleased. Was a bit dubious when I saw the box addressed to me until I saw the 'congratulations' letter. Cheated a bit and opened one of the whites this eve. Must say it's absolutely GORGEOUS!!! Thank you!!!! Will def join in on Thursday.
Cheers!
x

JOLOJAMES Thu 17-Mar-11 21:01:20

I also got my delivery today - cheered me up no end! Have marked my diary for 9pm and hopefully will have tasted one or more beforehand ...

withagoat Thu 17-Mar-11 21:14:11

ive been on the site

the wines on it are WAY TOO ££ for me to buy everyday tbh £8 a bottle? id go to Majestic

DP and I are trying the Seifried Syrah today.

I like screwcap bottles.

I often drink Shiraz but tend to go for the very big Australian ones.

Smells of spice or something, not just normal fruit/wine smells. The fruity wineyness is there in your mouth but the aftertaste is not red or purple, it is very light.

DP says he can smell a specific type of wood (I am typing as we are talking) maybe cedarwood. Not oasky

So: spice in the smell, fruit in the tate, interesting light wood in the aftertaste. Definitely more comlex than my usual Asutralian Shiraz, which would be all about the fruit and not much else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now