Cancel evening out or not?

(10 Posts)
MissingGuiltyPleasures Fri 22-Nov-13 20:49:37

DH and I very rarely go out together since DD, now 2.5 arrived (twice I think).

We have been invited to a housewarming party across town and I have arranged for a girl (aged 18ish) from DD's nursery to babysit - this will be her first time sitting for us, although she knows DD from nursery.

Sods Law DD has been a bit 'off' today. This has progressed to a temp of around 39 degrees, an all over rash and a sore mouth. I'm guessing slapped cheek, but no slapped cheeks yet. It'll be one of the viruses anyway.

Do I cancel the babysitter and stay home while DH parties the night away? It seems unfair to expose her to viruses, especially when she works in a nursery (I'm pretty sure she's not pregnant, but she wouldn't necessarily tell me if she was).

Or, do I let her know so she has the choice, keep my mobile on me and hope they have a good evening too?

WWYD?

SavoyCabbage Fri 22-Nov-13 20:52:34

When I have had a baby sitter they don't even see the dc mostly as we put them to bed and they stay there. Is that a possibility?

How long would it take you to get home form the party if you needed to?

Would you sill be able to enjoy yourself?

lougle Fri 22-Nov-13 20:52:59

How is your DD now? I would judge based on how ill she seems in herself. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable to go out if she has a temperature of 39 degrees.

Coconutty Fri 22-Nov-13 20:56:55

I wouldn't go. I had slapped cheek last year and felt like shit.

Also agree not fair on your babysitter.

But why do you have to stay home alone? DH could babysit if you want to go or you could both stay in?

MissingGuiltyPleasures Fri 22-Nov-13 20:56:59

She's tucked up asleep at the moment.

Meant to say, night out is tomorrow, but I wouldn't want to leave it to the last minute to cancel if we were going to - 'nursery-girl' might want to make plans, or be relying on extra cash.

Party is about 20 mins away. I'd be on foot and having a couple of drinks, but not getting pished.

deelite72 Fri 22-Nov-13 21:07:10

I wouldn't go (if she's not improved). Fevers and rashes rarely do but can go wrong. Always- without being panicky- be alert for meningitis. All that aside, I still wouldn't leave a tot with a fever. But that's me.

The thing is, she will probably be much better tomorrow evening, so don't cancel just yet. Wait and see. Check on her throughout the night. Keep her temp down with Calpol and fluids. See how she goes. Sound like a doctor now, don't I?

Hassled Fri 22-Nov-13 21:08:59

Let babysitter know the score and make it clear you don't mind if she declines. Then keep your phone close by and try to have a good time.

MissingGuiltyPleasures Fri 22-Nov-13 21:29:55

Thanks all - common sense really but not been in this situation before so don't know what the babysitter-ettiquete (sp) is.

Hopefully she'll be much improved, but obviously if she was grizzly and upset I wouldn't leave her anyway.

She's calpolled up, struggling with fluids due to her sore mouth so just little and often, and yes, aware of meningitis but rash doesn't fit and she's not light-sensitive etc.

rachyconks Fri 22-Nov-13 21:35:19

Keep checking her hands & feet. DD had those symptoms last week and it was hand, foot & mouth. Blisters on hands & feet appeared 24 hours after initial rash & mouth sores. Plenty of it going around at the moment too! I know loads of kids that have it. Was horrible, but she was over the worst of it in a couple of days

MissingGuiltyPleasures Sat 23-Nov-13 22:19:50

Well, babysitter got cancelled at lunchtime today (she was very understanding) and DH has gone to party alone.

DD still has temp and rash but is ok, and after sleeping in till 11:30am today, didn't go to bed till about 9:30pm! Definitely wouldn't have been fair to inflict her on a sitter.

DH has text to say party is very cliquey so I may see him soon!

The joys of parenthood hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now