Should I take 7 yr old to Pricilla?

(9 Posts)
janpa Mon 04-Nov-13 13:22:49

We are going to stay with friends soon, who have suggested we watch the show Priscilla Queen of the Desert as it is on during our visit. Can't decide if it would be suitable for my 7 year old. She is completely comfortable with homosexuality (the friends we are staying with are both her uncles) but I am not sure about the language, ping pong balls etc. I haven't seen the show before, nor the film but these are the things friends are warning me about. However, half the people offering me advice say to take her, as she loves a good musical, the other half are saying there's no way they'd take their 7 year old! My friends can go another time as it is on in their area for a few weeks so the choice is mine. What would you do?

GreatBallsofFluff Mon 04-Nov-13 20:28:05

I love the film and saw the musical earlier in the year. I was umming and ahhing about taking my 8yr old DD. I asked my mum and stepdad's opinion as they had seen it on stage. My mum thought DD would love it; the music and costumes were just her thing but my stepdad had reservations. I ended up not taking DD and I'm very glad I didn't at the moment. I'm very very lax but the language would have been too much for her and she wouldn't have understood the story/context of everything. I would definitely take my DD when she's about 11 or 12, but you know your DD best.

If you get a chance to see it then definitely go for it as it is great fun.

janpa Mon 04-Nov-13 20:42:09

Thanks for that. I normally talk through the plot before I take her to a show so she can follow the story & just enjoy the acting, singing & dancing. Hmmmm..... am still thinking about it ...

GreatBallsofFluff Mon 04-Nov-13 20:51:44

Have you read up on IMDB about the film? Also possibly look at the quotes as some which are memorable from the film were in there (the tampon bang one being the most noticeable which half the audience cheered at obviously recognising it from the film).

LAlady Tue 05-Nov-13 08:04:56

I've seen it three times. I wouldn't take my 10 year old but would my 13 year old. The recommendation is parental guidance for under 15s due to coarse language.

givemeaclue Tue 05-Nov-13 08:07:46

No, definitely not suitable for 7 year old

TheBuskersDog Tue 05-Nov-13 08:18:25

It's a show aimed at adults with adult themes, lots of stand-up comedians have an age limit for their shows because of the language/content and Pricilla has an age recommendation, they are there for a reason.
Pricilla is brilliant, but very near the knuckle at times and OK it will probably go over her head but that just shows she is too young for it, and anyway why shouldn't some things just be for adults.

janpa Tue 05-Nov-13 17:23:04

Thank you everyone for your honest opinions. Really appreciated.

janpa Wed 06-Nov-13 20:42:44

OK, decision made. We're not going.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now