Problem neighbours.

(12 Posts)
mrsmitch01 Sat 26-Oct-13 09:07:11

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right section but I'm desperate for advice.
I have lived in my house for 13 years with my husband and two daughters. One is 15 and the other is 7. Our house is mid terrace and is a pre fab house.
Our neighbours moved in 18 months ago and from day one we have had nothing but problems with them. I have never known any people be so loud in their everyday activities. They bang doors all day, you hear them constantly up and down the stairs which are right next to our lounge and bedrooms. When they have their grand daughter round the noise and banging is much worse and she must only be about 3. There is the mom living there plus two of her sons. One is 17 and the other is 14. Plus sometimes she has another two stay from time to time. Both are being taken away by the police on a regular basis. We found out that one of them got locked up for burgling the local library. I have approached her a couple of times about the noise, both times she responded with attitude and verbal abuse. So now I just don't speak with her.
We have contacted the council, who asked us to fill in a log book which we sent back and now we have to call them when the noise starts so they can bring equipment and monitor the noise but my concern is this. They start banging but then stop. Sometimes for a few minutes sometimes for a few hours. So if we call them and the neighbours have shut up by the time they get here, will they drop the case. I don't know but me and my husband are getting really down with it. We constantly feel anxious waiting for something to happen. It's just constant banging and arguing. Plus when her boyfriend comes to stay he is so loud. I'm woken up in the morning with him 'clearing' his throat and coughing his guts up. (Picture Onslow from keeping up appearances)! Their language is shocking and they're just vile.
Today is Saturday. My kids stayed at my parents last night, so you'd think hmm a lie in???!!!! Oh no. They were 'talking' till about 1.30am and then woke me up at 7.30am running up and down stairs.
I just don't know what to do. Is anyone else in the same or similar situation??

mrsmitch01 Sat 26-Oct-13 09:44:36

Oh and after a conversation with my husband, the monitoring can only be done between 8pm and 3am!!!! So we must suffer all day!!!!!

A lot of what you describe like 'throat clearing' is normal family noise - it's pretty clear your house is very shoddily built.

Can you create a sound proof barrier on the side your adjoined to? Upside down egg boxes, then plasterboard will have a massive effect.

DurhamDurham Sat 26-Oct-13 09:54:30

If you can hear them then I am sure they can hear you go about your normal family life. The problem does not appear to be your neighbours, none of what you describe sounds antisocial as such. The problem is the building, the walls must be v thin. My sister had this problem in her home, it's a townhouse. The first two floors were fine but on the top floor you could hear everything from next door. My sister called in the builders and some sort of sound proofing was installed. She can't hear a thing from next door now. You may have to work with your neighbours to sort this out rather than blame them for the problem.

deepfriedsage Sat 26-Oct-13 10:02:21

I agree it is your party wall at fault here, these are normal activities, talking, throat clearing, going up and down stairs. You need to look at ceiling, floors and walls to sort this out.

Catnap26 Sat 26-Oct-13 10:11:37

Hi I just wanted to say I really empathise with your situation.this is a very anxious and uncomfortable situation for you.can I just ask,before they moved in were you able to hear the previous occupiers?also do they have neighbours on the other side and if so have you asked if they can hear them?if they rent the property could you find out who the landlord is and complain to them?i actually think if you have lived in the property 13 years and you were unable to hear other occupants then they are probably being inconsiderately noisy.

DameDeepRedBetty Sat 26-Oct-13 10:13:25

Catnap posted the questions I wanted to ask you.

mrsmitch01 Sat 26-Oct-13 13:46:07

I have had two lots of previous neighbours. The First Lady was really quiet even with a teenage son living there and the last lady was a little noisy but nothing like this. The neighbours on the other side said they can hear banging etc but have now moved to South Africa!!! I understand that people have to live but in my opinion they're just really inconsiderate. They're not approachable and I have told them that the walls are thin. So she is aware that we can hear Everything. My other neighbour on the other side of me is really quiet and she says she hardly ever hears us even though there's four of us in my house. Sound proofing would be good but we cannot afford it. Plus it's a council house!!
We have spoke to the landlord but he was uninterested.

Catnap26 Sat 26-Oct-13 13:53:02

I see.i think being persistent with the council is your only option.i know how frustrating noisy neighbours can be.good luck.

killpeppa Sat 26-Oct-13 13:57:15

my neighbours were like this, but it worked both ways- I have two DSs under two so they got builders in to sound insulate their walls.

mrsmitch01 Sat 26-Oct-13 22:45:38

Thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully we can get it sorted. It's just a shame that some people can't communicate properly with other people.

moodymai Sun 10-Nov-13 21:54:48

Could you play music or put your tv up a bit and drown them out a bit? If you've asked them to quieten down and they aren't considerate how about putting loud music on early in the morning, to make a point?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now