70th birthday present idea for my Mum who doesn't want a fuss

(8 Posts)
carolmillen Sun 22-Sep-13 20:52:33

I'm at a loss as to what to get her. She has insisted she doesn't want a fuss and certainly no party. But what can I get her or do for her to make it a special birthday - any ideas please?

Furball Mon 23-Sep-13 06:49:28

Afternoon tea and cakes at a nice hotel.

Several hotels near me now do Afternoon tea - tis lovely, choice of teas and cake stand full of cakes, I also went to one that did little sandwiches first too. and I think it was about £20.

StuckOnARollercoaster Mon 23-Sep-13 06:54:34

I'd second some kind of day out that your mum would enjoy.
For example if she's a keen gardener maybe a local stately home with beautiful gardens followed by a posh lunch.
Or maybe a trip to the theatre.
Or a trip on steam train/orient express
Or as mentioned posh afternoon tea.

carolmillen Mon 23-Sep-13 12:52:43

Hi, thanks. I did ponder the afternoon tea thingy but I took her to the Ritz for a previous birthday so I probably can't top that one! I do like the idea of something like that though instead of a gift.

tinierclanger Mon 23-Sep-13 12:54:09

A night away to see a play/show/opera/concert?

Orient express tea?

Jojay Mon 23-Sep-13 13:01:14

If you're looking for a present, i just bought one of these for my Mum's 60th and she loved it.

You create your own poster, adding in things like the places she's lived, family and friends, hobby's, clubs, her old school, things she likes doing, and titled it '60 happy years'.

It went down really well.

tb Tue 08-Oct-13 11:07:06

We bought my uncle a kindle for his 90th birthday. He loves it - even though it drove him to swear while registering it.

amumthatcares Wed 09-Oct-13 11:58:56

For her 70th birthday, I took my mum away to a nice hotel with a lovely evening meal. Just me and her...spending some wonderful, quality time together, which we don't often get. She loved it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now