I've been so stupid!

(30 Posts)
MaryIngalls Sat 20-Jul-13 22:21:48

On Friday, on my way home from the shops, I was stopped by a man saying he locked his suit jacket and car keys in his car and has no money to get home to get the spare key, and could I lend him enough money to go home by train. I didn't know whether to believe him or not, but thought I'd give him a fiver on the chance that he was genuine. Unfortunately I only found a tenner in my bag and gave it to him. He took my (first) name and address, promising to return it in a couple of hours. Needless to say, I never saw the money again. When I told my friend this incident, she was horrified that I gave him my address. A tenner is the price for my idiocy and I am not concerned about the money coming back, but wondering if I should have reported this, to protect other possible victims? Sorry to sound obtuse, but do I just walk into a police station?

Nomnew Sat 20-Jul-13 23:43:39

Yes this happened to me once. Girl in tears and no money to get home (stolen purse).

Gave her £20 and my work address. Never saw the money again! Still if it had been genuine I would have felt good about helping someone and maybe she didn't have the money to pay me back.

and if she'd needed money so badly she'd resorted to begging, then her shoes were not very nice to be in the first place.

Graceparkhill Sat 20-Jul-13 23:55:55

Totally agree with Nomnew.

Dams Sun 21-Jul-13 00:02:44

I have done the same blush You are not stupid, you helped somebody who you thought was in need. You never know, you may still get your money back smile

onelittlepiglet Sun 21-Jul-13 00:31:03

I've done exactly the same thing, don't beat yourself up about it. Had just moved to London and the man seemed genuine. Not asking for much, just a £9 train fare to get home as he'd been mugged. Even threw in that he was working a shift at the samaritans and was on his way home when it happened. Gave him a tenner and he took my work details with promises to pay it back. Never heard a thing.

I felt stupid and angry about it too but I'd rather be the person that gives to someone who needs it than not and something bad happen. Having said that, 10 years on and I'm as hard as anything now. They would need a pretty convincing story to make me part with anything! Sad really...

MaryIngalls Sun 21-Jul-13 17:15:31

Thanks everyone, it's good to know people are still kind to perfect strangers. I have reported it though, in case it's someone who often preys on gullible looking people (not sure what a gullible person looks like though!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now