is her fiancé in the closet?

(42 Posts)
Loopylala7 Mon 10-Jun-13 19:43:27

I don't have any solid proof to back up my concerns but, I suspect my close friends fiancé is in the closet & wondering whether to say nothing and just hope I am wrong, or to say something when I could be wrong???

My suspicions stem from:

All of his close friends are openly gay, including best man & ushers
He constantly tweets about bands like the pet shop boys
He has no interest in sport what so ever. To me this is particularly alien as I've never come across any boys who haven't followed a single sport before.
He has a very religious family

He is the first serious BF my friend has had, and this engagement has happened quite quickly (we are well into our thirties). Am I unreasonable to think this? What would you do?

HeadFairy Mon 10-Jun-13 19:45:38

I'm not sure your reasons for suspecting your friend's fiance's sexuality are that convincing.

I would definitely say nothing. Plenty of people I've thought were very camp and were quite possibly gay have turned out to be completely the opposite. Not being interested in sport is by no means an indication of being gay. I have plenty of gay friends who love watching sport, and plenty of straight friends who have no interest in it at all.

whattodoo Mon 10-Jun-13 19:46:02

That doesn't seem like any much 'evidence' to me!

I'd not mention your suspicions if I were you.

LalyRawr Mon 10-Jun-13 19:46:22

This is a joke right?

Please tell me this is a joke.

invicta Mon 10-Jun-13 19:46:39

If you have no proof, then I wouldn't say anything. Lots of men aren't interested in sport.

Helpyourself Mon 10-Jun-13 19:47:03

Do nothing. It's hardly as if you're privy to any information that others aren't. And you could cause a whole lot of trouble if you're wrong. And if you're right... It's not your business.

Tee2072 Mon 10-Jun-13 19:47:40

OMG yes, he must be gay because he doesn't like sports!!

Wait...my husband doesn't like sports...and has some gay friends...and likes Pet Shop Boys...

I'll file for divorce in the morning.

MrsBucketxx Mon 10-Jun-13 19:48:03

dont say a thing even the campest of men can be straight.

unless you know for sure dont put your foot in it.

ChasingStaplers Mon 10-Jun-13 19:48:25

I think your username says it all.

LemonPeculiarJones Mon 10-Jun-13 19:51:13

Hmmm. Well -

I have quite a few lesbian friends
I wear trousers most of the time
I like country music

Ah. Better let DH know.

grin

Flossie82 Mon 10-Jun-13 19:53:35

My husband isn't interested in sports and is definitely not gay

idiot55 Mon 10-Jun-13 19:53:54

This has to be a teenager on here, having a laugh, right?

Sunnywithshowers Mon 10-Jun-13 19:56:19

Fuxache OP. What a crock.

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Mon 10-Jun-13 19:57:16

Oh, don't be so silly.

I'm watching SATC with DH, who doesn't like sport, does like cooking, and has long blond hair.

I spent the weekend with a bunch of radical feminist lesbians and I shared a double bed with a lovely woman, while we discussed, erm, radical lesbian feminism.

I remain resolutely not a lesbian, on account of being, you know, married to my DH. Who is not gay.

Where were we again? Pet shop boys? Oh yes, he's definitely a tot of the old gingerbeer, absolutely. hmm

winefairy Mon 10-Jun-13 20:00:08

I would stick YMCA on. If he suddenly jumps up to dance then you have indeed outed him well and good.

ChasedByBees Mon 10-Jun-13 20:01:30

:D :D

My DH likes the pet shop boys, hates sport and oh dear God, likes it when I buy him flowers. How could I not have seen this?

:D :D

You are funny OP.

ChasedByBees Mon 10-Jun-13 20:02:10

grin winefairy

Perseis Mon 10-Jun-13 20:03:01

Acceptable evidence that a man is gay, if not out: you have seen them have sex with a man.

Everything else is just stereotypes.

MrsWembley Mon 10-Jun-13 20:04:10

Can I just say, hmm?

And I think I may be about to... yes, I can feel it coming...

biscuit

Gruntfuttocks Mon 10-Jun-13 20:04:52

Maybe you're right, maybe he IS gay, maybe it's none of your business and they have their reasons for being together. If you value your friendship, keep your mouth shut and wait and see what happens.

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Mon 10-Jun-13 20:07:44

Acceptable evidence that a man is gay, if not out: you have seen them have sex with a man.

grin

Wise words.

Seriously??

Two words for you. David Walliams.

KittyPryde Mon 10-Jun-13 20:09:08

What bollocks. My DP hates sport, likes musicals and has gay friends. He's as straight as Straighty McStraight from Straightville.

SisterMatic Mon 10-Jun-13 20:10:44

Who cares. It is your friends business not yours anyway

Ummmm.....what?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now