Not sure in washling line ettiquette

(9 Posts)
suckmabigtoe Thu 30-May-13 11:23:58

I have nowhere to tie the length of line too, thats why i had a rotary one. I'm going to get two if those washing line t shaped posts as this is the 2nd rotary ghat has broken in less than a year.

FannyMcNally Thu 30-May-13 11:21:34

Can't you just tie together long lengths of the rotary line (what's left of it) and hang your stuff on that? I wouldn't be making myself angsty over a neighbours line, either rig up a make shift one or hang indoors.

suckmabigtoe Thu 30-May-13 11:21:21

Yep i hang it indoors at the minute and im happy enough to keep doing that til i can get a new line. Great idea about putting a card through the door. And definitely no knickers on her line! grin

lottiegarbanzo Thu 30-May-13 11:14:47

Well you obviously have an interim approach, presumably hanging it indoors. So, you can start small - every three days or so - watching to see how often she uses it, then, if she hardly does, or it's always the same day, try more often, avoiding her day and speak to her to check it is still ok.

HappyAsASandboy Thu 30-May-13 11:13:33

Oh, and a box of chocolates when you eventually get your line back wink

HappyAsASandboy Thu 30-May-13 11:12:02

I would hang your washing out on her line, and put a card through her door to say thanks for letting you use it and to let you know if it becomes obtrusive. Perhaps mention that you think it will be x date before you can replace your line, but that if she want you to stop using her line before then to let you know.

If it wouldn't clog up her garden, perhaps leave your basket somewhere near the line but out of the way so that she has somewhere to put your stuff if she wants to use the line herself? Also hang it so that she could use the rest of the line (don't spread your stuff over the whole line?)

You could also keep the amount you put on her line to a minimum (and not your knickers!) by using an airer in your garden? Peg stuff to it so it doesn't blow away.

suckmabigtoe Thu 30-May-13 11:09:40

Tbh i havent really noticed how much she uses it. Its only her an dh there and she told me once before that she uses the big machines at her work, but i have seen stuff on the line. Not sure how regilar though.

TrinityRhino Thu 30-May-13 11:07:06

bless your cottons
you're like me, I panic about bothering people and then even when they have said yes, I worry I'm overstepping or bothering them. does she use her line alot?

maybe she wont be using it much at all

suckmabigtoe Thu 30-May-13 11:04:15

Was standing out yestderday chatting with neighbour. The weather has been great and i mentioned how i wished i could get my washing out in it. ( rotary washing line broke a few weeks ago) she said i could use hers. I asked if she wouldt mjnd and she said no if course not "work away" . Now when i say work away, i mean go on ahead as much as you need etc. but i dont want to be clogging up her line everyday incase she needs it for her stuff an i dont want to be knockjbg on her door everyday to check as she works nights and sleeps during the day. I an really skint right now so a new line just isnt possible atm. I really dont want to take advantage and i have washing everyday..

So what do i do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now