What would you do? Bad Nappies hurt my daughter.

(28 Posts)
itsonlysubterfuge Fri 24-May-13 21:33:54

I tested the new Pamper's Baby Dry nappies and they cut/scratched my daughter. I complained to Pamper's and they only sent me a £6 voucher. I'm a little dissappointed. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but for the actual pain my baby went through £6? Also their letters seemed like they were just a standard layout not even personal apologies. My husband is upset, but we aren't really sure what we should do now. What would you do?

ThisWayForCrazy Sun 26-May-13 09:48:01

Their response is pretty standard. I am not a pampers fan, but if you're going to put a paper/plastic made item on your child is it IMO possible to cause some friction.

I guess you need to work out what you want them to do about it. And once you've worked that out respond saying that their initial response isn't good enough and you expect x,y,z.

itsonlysubterfuge Sat 25-May-13 20:56:26

My daughter leg is mostly healed, it's still a bit rough where the scab hasn't quite healed.

At first I thought she scratched herself, but they were in identical spots on both her legs and multiple cuts as well.

Now that we've stopped using that pack of Pampers, the cuts have disappered and haven't come back. Also, she's never had them before so I don't think it's about how tight I have put the nappies on.

As I said, I'm not sure what I expected, I was just really upset when I found out the nappies had hurt her. I'm a bit over protective and was very upset that the nappies I was putting on her hurt her. It seems like a standard letter and £6 just didn't feel right. If I had a product that was intended to help babies and harmed a baby I would feel awful and put sincere apologizes in my letter. If I was going to offer them money I would do it as a refund rather than a voucher off my own goods that harmed the child.

Anyway, thank you all for your input I have appreciated it. I'm very sorry to hear about all those poor babies who had chemical reactions to the nappies. I hope that it was just a flawed nappy that caused my baby discomfort and hasn't effected any other babies in a negative way.

ItsTheYoniWay Sat 25-May-13 20:53:29

I stopped using pampers last year. They were fine for a good while then suddenly my toddler kept breaking out in these sores and a horrible rash that wouldn't go away. Changed brand and it went completely. Waited a few weeks then switched to pampers again. Rash came back the same day. Since I stopped using them again he hasn't had it back.

HotCrossPun Sat 25-May-13 12:22:17

Could she have scratched herself maybe?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 25-May-13 09:27:31

OP - I've just looked at the pictures. It looks to me as if the edges of the sides of the nappy were sharp and as she wriggled they caught her. So the manufacturer will need to check if there was a fault in that batch which caused the sharp edge, or if there is a design flaw.

How is DD now?

Tee2072 Sat 25-May-13 09:25:16

My son, who has very sensitive skin, had no problem with Pampers.

Also, based on that picture, it's looks like you've put it on a bit tight.

What would you like from Pampers, if not financial compensation?

ChunkyPickle Sat 25-May-13 09:24:22

I'm not saying that you're mistaken, but could you be?

DS sometimes gives himself horrible scratches when he starts worrying at his nappy - and once my (always short) nails caught his eyebrow just as I ruffled his hair and sliced it a bit (there's still a scar!)

I don't think they're even made of paper so I can't imagine how something sharp like a splinter would get into a nappy, and the side tabs don't seem stiff enough to me to manage a paper cut.

I say this because I've had things that I've blamed for issues, only to discover that it was some other thing I've doing and I've felt quite bad about it.

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 25-May-13 09:22:07

The elastic around the legs of Pampers gave DD a rash, the fastenings on .Sainsburys gave DS a rash. I think it is just one of those things - horrible for the little ones involved, but not necessarily something that the manufacturers can be liable for unless they have marketed them as hypoallergenic, or designed for sensitive skin, or if they have this reaction on all children ie not properly tested.

Disclaimer - the melting incident above seems slightly different to rash causing

What do you think you should get OP? Why isn't a standard letter and an offer to test the product for faults enough?

Mamafratelli Sat 25-May-13 09:15:43

Ouch poor dd, I hate pampers they gave my dd horrendous nappy rash it took me weeks to work out what it was.

treaclesoda Sat 25-May-13 09:14:58

Pampers did terrible things to my DDs skin. So I didn't buy them.

Millions of people use them and are happy with them, the fact that they don't suit your baby doesn't mean that Pampers are selling a dangerous product.

itsonlysubterfuge Sat 25-May-13 09:10:02

This is the picture hopefully.

TiggerWearsATriteSmile Sat 25-May-13 00:32:45

Ok lunatic, I've had reactions to lotions, potions, powders, shampoos etc. I have sensitive skin.
I don't automatically blame a brand and expect compensation.

I don't use pampers or johnsons baby products. I think they are mass produced, well marketed awful shit.
Move on.

MegBusset Fri 24-May-13 22:54:07

Pampers left poor DS2's bottom with oozing sores after only an hour or so (took a week to heal properly). Gawd knows what chemicals they put in them. I just took them back to the shop for a refund, and didn't buy them again, not sure what else you expect really?

ouryve Fri 24-May-13 22:51:06

It was more the standard letter and asking for a sample of the product back that was a little strange.

Oooh, the used nappy in the post revenge grin

I used to plot that for anyone who crossed me, or anyone I knew, but of course I never carried it out. Body fluids in the post and all that. The fantasy was most pleasing, though. Second class, of course. Sea freight, rather than airmail for anyone overseas.

The pads that DS2 gets on the NHS irritate his thighs. I wonder if I could get a voucher out of them hmm

MooseBeTimeForSpring Fri 24-May-13 22:45:37

My son was fine in Pampers Sensitive but they only go up to 3. As soon as we put him in regular his bum got really sore. We've switched to cloth.

TiggerWearsATriteSmile Fri 24-May-13 22:40:52

What do you want to happen?
My DD couldn't wear pampers, they gave her a bad rash. I tried creams, lotions, potions and realised it was the nappy.

Kids react differently to different brands.
Use a different nappy. Change your child more often.
Simples.

itsonlysubterfuge Fri 24-May-13 22:30:22

I tried to include a picture, but I couldn't download one onto my profile. I'll have to find a free site to add the picture. The cuts took about a week to fully heal and stopped there were multiple cuts.

I'm not suggesting that they send me thousands of pounds. It was more the standard letter and asking for a sample of the product back that was a little strange.

It actually hurt my baby when I was changing her nappy she started crying and I thought it was just because she doesn't like laying still and then I noticed her leg was bleeding. I'm upset at the fact that she was hurt by something I trusted, I'm not suggesting they pay me loads of money.

I will try to post a picture tomorrow.

HalfBakedCleverCookie Fri 24-May-13 22:15:38

How did a nappy cut the skin, I am shocked and melting the skin that is even worse!

adagio Fri 24-May-13 22:08:39

Ooo I got red sore bits from Sainsbury's ones (where the tabs do up on top of the leg), I never thought of complaining hmm perhaps this could be lucrative!

FWIW I found the pampers ones much softer, but perhaps it is all relative.

AmandaPayneNeedsANap Fri 24-May-13 21:50:39

Yes, call them and ask that they send you something you might use, since you won't be buying their products.

But honestly, how bad were the cuts/scratches? How many days until they were gone?

How did they cut your baby? If its a standard letter and voucher that's worrying as it doesn't make it look like they have taken a design flaw into account.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now