I have completely accidentally found my child's teacher's twitter account

(69 Posts)
postcardfortune Tue 30-Apr-13 13:10:17

and read it all. I am dying DYING to show other parents (it is well disguised and I don't think others have read it as I am pretty sure I would have heard).

This is a Y1 teacher. She is very young. There is nothing awful, but definitely changes very much my perception of who she is.

Would it be mean to let my friend(s) know?
(I am a governor too, gah)

AnotherFullTimeDad Sat 22-Jun-13 19:26:31

SanityClause (cute name by the way), you might choose afford privacy to people doing blogs or twitter etc but all you are doing is choosing not to look. Such activity is in the public domain. The author can expect anyone to see they words and should realise that. People do indeed have a right to privacy, but it completely contradictory to say that right extends to things you say in the public domain. Posting things on twitter (unless restricted) is legally "publishing" something. That's why it can be libelous (e.g. Lord McAlpine case).

If you publish something it is not private and you have no right to privacy concerning that which you publish.

mathanxiety Sat 22-Jun-13 06:23:42

It is absolutely none of your business and not your duty to inform others either of whatever this teacher has done that has changed your opinion of her. Unless it's a criminal matter you keep your nose where it belongs and your mouth firmly zipped.

There are very few nuns teaching any more. I don't think there are many people out there who don't understand that.

SanityClause Sat 22-Jun-13 06:04:46

No, Another, I disagree. Privacy is something we afford to others. Secrecy is what we have for ourselves.

DD1 is 14. She has a blog, which she would like me not to read. So I don't read it, because I "let her have her privacy".

AnotherFullTimeDad Sat 22-Jun-13 05:55:45

I agree with those suggesting she should either be left alone or quietly advised that her account has been found.

One point keeps coming up that doesn't make sense - "Let he have her privacy". Twitter! Privacy! She's given up her right to privacy already. When you post on twitter you must be prepared for anyone to see, comment and reply, including children and parents. She has no "right to privacy" on twitter.

MummaBubba123 Mon 03-Jun-13 23:08:29

I agree with Branleuse.
I'm a teacher. Teachers careers are marked as a result of complaints and complications such as these. She is young and probably has no idea. She is also perfectly entitled to have a twitter account... and a life!
Watch more Real Housewives and do less real life bitching.
Find something else to talk about and tell the teacher that you think she may want to make her identity more secret/ private to preserve her professionally and personally.

3littlefrogs Sun 02-Jun-13 20:41:00

I always thought being a school governer meant that you were in a position of trust, and that certain standards of behaviour were expected.

I am a bit shocked by this thread TBH.

OnTheNingNangNong Sun 02-Jun-13 20:31:20

I hope to goodness that you're not a governor at my DC's school.

You sound like you do a great job at trying to ruin the staff morale.

Fgs, a teacher has a twitter page, it's no big deal.

NeverBeenToMe Sun 02-Jun-13 20:17:14

Can you even make a Twitter account private?

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sun 02-Jun-13 20:12:18

What on earth is wrong with you?

Why can't she have a private life? What does her having a twitter account got to do with her being a teacher, and what has it got to do with you anyway?

theboutiquemummy Sat 01-Jun-13 22:33:46

Accidental my foot myob

Floggingmolly Wed 08-May-13 13:23:36

That you, op?

GladbagsGold Wed 08-May-13 13:17:37

Come on we all love a bit of gossip! I'd have a nosy if I came across a teacher on twitter. Though would be relieved to find that they were krazee on weekends, sounds more normal than being buttoned-up/prim imo.

Maybe this is why I didn't stick at being a Governor. I cba with being holier than thou about everything.

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Wed 08-May-13 13:13:41

And what your post seems to say is shes professional at school but has her own personality outside of school

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Wed 08-May-13 13:11:48

Whatever shes said on twitter, im sure your op makes you sound worse.

ihearsounds Sat 04-May-13 14:46:39

What is the big deal exactly?
She has a twitter account big deal. Hardly a crime. She's probably on facebook as well.

Why would you want to gossip about her? Sound like a bit of a loon tbh.

notfluffy Sat 04-May-13 14:33:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sat 04-May-13 14:18:34

How exactly can you "completely accidentally" discover a twitter account. And why would you then go and gossip to everyone else in the playground.
This sounds like the behaviour of a immature teenager.

shellandkai Sat 04-May-13 14:07:58

That would be totally put of order to do that as long as she isn't saying anything offensive about the children what does it matter? For instance my sister works with children her boyfriend is in prison for serving at least 4 years she drinks on the weekend etc but that's her private life it doesn't effect her working life. Fact is we all have a private life but as long as she doesn't bring it to work with her what does it matter we all have to have a life including teachers I'm afraid!

Gunznroses Thu 02-May-13 13:13:52

There is nothing awful, but definitely changes very much my perception of who she is

How ? sadhmm

DebsMorgan Thu 02-May-13 09:50:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Thu 02-May-13 08:54:36

Don't be such a fecking gossip. Grow up. Teachers are people too. Respect her privacy and maybe get a hobby

Panzee Thu 02-May-13 08:52:17

I am a teacher with a Twitter account. I have deliberately left it public. I don't talk about work beyond the occasional TGIF and I try to remember not to swear. if a governor found it I would not care. I would not appreciate, as some have suggested, a quiet word suggesting I change my privacy settings.

I am definitely neither young nor naive. Leave her alone.

musu Thu 02-May-13 08:46:11

I have a twitter account that I thought was private (at least that was what I thought I had done). I was mortified to then do a search and find myself and my tweets easily.

You sound rather immature to be a governor. If I were you and acting like a grown up I would have a private word with her.

sooperdooper Thu 02-May-13 08:29:28

Ffs, she's done nothing wrong, teachers are people too and tweeting about Ricky Garvais is hardly the crime of the century

I think it's really pretty sad you went looking for her tbh, don't you like her for some reason? Are you looking to get her into trouble? What would that possibly achieve?

noblegiraffe Thu 02-May-13 08:28:09

Teacher has social media account, expresses like for TV show. I can see the headlines now. You must inform everyone immediately so that they too can creepily stalk her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now