help! need to catch a big fat fuck off rat!

(28 Posts)
LouLouH Sat 13-Apr-13 15:14:44

Went into the garage to get meat out of freezer the dog followed me in (thank god!) And she started sniffing and scratching at a corner. I moved stuff about and a monster of a rat shot to another corner of the garage. It was so big that when it knocked the wheel of the buggy it shifted the whole thing!
Does anyone know a proven way to catch the little shite?! Its already eaten through the dd's play tent.

LouLouH Sat 13-Apr-13 18:45:28

Still not caught the fucker!

LouLouH Sat 13-Apr-13 16:40:14

Yes we have got a lot of crap in there too, but its our childrens crap, more than they need but they would still be upset at some going.

HeavenlyYoni Sat 13-Apr-13 16:25:57

Maybe it's time to clear out some stuff. They like nesting in junk, apparently. I think we have one in our garden too. Council do come out but ours took ages and the advice given was for us to move all the crap from behind the garage. Unfortunately DP has now put more crap there!

LouLouH Sat 13-Apr-13 16:10:07

My DP has put a trap out there wuth peanut butter on but it's one my dad has lent us. Its looks ancient not even sure it'll work!

D0oinMeCleanin Sat 13-Apr-13 15:59:13

I used to keep rats, I've known them to bite if they get a fright, but they go for the nearest extremity, so mainly fingers, not faces. They do have a nasty bite though.

I'd say you need either a terrier or a ferret, if you want an animal to catch and kill it, depending upon where the rat is hiding and whether a dog could fit in to flush it out.

Otherwise a trap.

snozzlemaid Sat 13-Apr-13 15:53:59

We got a mouse/rat trap from B and Q and put some peanut butter on it. Left it in our garage overnight and the next morning there was a dead big fat fuck off rat.

HousewifeFromHeaven Sat 13-Apr-13 15:38:17

Yy you can get this

LouLouH Sat 13-Apr-13 15:38:07

Every toy has been bleached! Upset dd2 though as threw away toy dolls she had as outdoor ones and her toy buggy as mainly material.

LouLouH Sat 13-Apr-13 15:36:24

ForYourEyesYoni done it, I think the dog biscuits were the culprit as the bag has been eaten through and loads of biscuits missing. Which DP found hidden under a spare wardrobe in garage.

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Sat 13-Apr-13 15:34:05

You can borrow my cat? Do move toys clean everything as their piss is really dangerous isn't it?

chocolatelime Sat 13-Apr-13 15:31:56

There will be more than one of them, so I suggest a good quality trap and I have found that rats find peanut butter irresistible.

ForYourEyesYoni Sat 13-Apr-13 15:31:14

What is all this about punching rats? what have I missed now?

You're probably on it already, but start moving/securing/throwing all food sources. Dog food, bird food, anything...

VivaLeBeaver Sat 13-Apr-13 15:31:13

Get a big fat fuck off ratter dog and shut it in with the rat.

LouLouH Sat 13-Apr-13 15:30:18

Growlithe my DP and father said they will attack if scared and supposedly go for the face. Hence me worrying how to go about it. But kids toys are in garage which they are allowed to get out themselves so I want rid of it ASAP.

KatoPotato Sat 13-Apr-13 15:28:49

Poohes in the bowl and plate cupboard...

MrsGeologist Sat 13-Apr-13 15:28:11

Damnit! People got there first sad

I was also going to suggest punching it in the brain stem. I've heard it's tremendously effective

I've been bitten by many rats, it hurts a lot and is potentially very dangerous indeed. Kill the bastard. Either a rat trap loaded with bacon/chocolate or poison. I prefer the old fashioned traps, they are tricky to set at first but very reuseable. There is never just one rat btw. It costs about £45 to get the local authority to come out and lay poison but they will keep coming till the problem is dealt with.

Growlithe Sat 13-Apr-13 15:25:27

Apparently you have to be really quick with rats because they will bite you.

Sorry there was a troll thread on this very subject this morning. Very bizarre. grin

LouLouH Sat 13-Apr-13 15:21:30

I would love to have a good enough aim to hitt the brain stem knowing my luck I'll miss though and the fucker will attack me!

KatoPotato Sat 13-Apr-13 15:20:02

grin

Growlithe Sat 13-Apr-13 15:18:28

Definitely need to punch it in the brain stem. Get yourself into a bit of a rage first.

LouLouH Sat 13-Apr-13 15:18:18

Worried about poison with children and dog. Im no prude sbout xatching snd killing myself, ill drown the fucker if I get the chance. Just need to know how to catch it.

ForYourEyesYoni Sat 13-Apr-13 15:17:52

You don't want to catch it, you want to kill it, don't you. No point beating about the bush.

I'd probably borrow a terrier - but then I know a couple who are good ratters <bumpkin emoticon>

2nd choice for me would be to whack it on the back of the head hard - with a golf club or similar.

Or, poison. But it's a horrid, drawn-out death. You can buy it from hardware shops, or Amazon.

thenightsky Sat 13-Apr-13 15:17:05

shoot it (I borrowed a gun from the rat-man for mine). They start nesting now, so you need to get shot of it before it turns into 20!

KatoPotato Sat 13-Apr-13 15:17:03

Sorry, I'd go for big guns, poison and mechanical traps, bait with peanut butter or nutella.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now