Should I train to be a teacher or move for a £60K paid job?

(268 Posts)
Arthurlager Wed 27-Mar-13 13:48:37

I have a dilemma and would welcome opinions.

I am 39, have 3 DC, 11, 9, 6. I have a place on a teacher training course in September. It will mean no income for a year then a starting salary of £21K. And fab holidays of course. Things are already very tight financially. Just to keep my options open I have applied for, and got through to the last stage for, a job paying a starting salary of £60K, final salary pension, bonus scheme etc.

If I am offered the job, it would mean moving house to a part of the country I have always liked, moving schools etc, something I have never done before. But of course it is F/T so I would need a childminder or nanny as we have no family there.

So...what would you choose?

Cheddars Wed 27-Mar-13 13:51:34

I would go for the 60k job. Teaching is a lot of work for not enough money imo. If you are not absolutely sure you want to be a teacher, it can be the most stressful job in the world!

anchovies Wed 27-Mar-13 14:07:40

Do you have a dp or family support where you are? I am currently doing a PGCE but over two years and am really enjoying it. I like my subject and there is a good chance I'll get a job from my placement. What do you think your job prospects would be following the course? I am finding it hard work though with three dcs even part time. I still have moments of doubt as I left a well paid job behind.

It's hard to say without knowing how much you would enjoy the job you have applied for and what made you decide to apply to teach?

YoothaJoist Wed 27-Mar-13 14:09:19

The 60K job, no question. The chances of you ever earning money like that as a teacher are very slim.

Oh, and those fabulous holidays? You need them to recover from the sheer grinding horror and misery of the terms.

rottenscoundrel Wed 27-Mar-13 14:13:40

final salary pension <faints>

you are basically insuring your financial future in retirement by taking that job (if you get offered it)

Arthurlager Wed 27-Mar-13 14:22:18

Thanks for your replies. I have always fancied teaching and at 39, I feel ready for a change. Also, at this age, it is now or never! I think I would love it but the starting salary is low and it would take me 5 years to earn £31K. I think my job prospects would be good, but I would still have to travel to work and arrange childcare for school drop offs and pick ups, atthough none for the holidays!
My DH runs his own business so we do have another income.

Arthurlager Wed 27-Mar-13 14:23:39

I know I nearly fainted about the final salary pension scheme, Rotten ! I am self employed at present so it has great appeal!

Arthurlager Wed 27-Mar-13 14:26:54

Anchovies, I would teach English Literature and I adore that subject. But I am sure it would be very hard work and I would be starting at the bottom. My mum would take children to school and pick up for me. No childcare worries in the holidays.
The new job would be doing the sort of thing I am doing now, but employed rather than self employed. And full time of course, without the flexibility I have now.

TheNebulousBoojum Wed 27-Mar-13 14:30:23

I'm a teacher, I'd go for the 60k job.

Arthurlager Wed 27-Mar-13 14:46:01

Really Nebulous? Can you tell me why? Sorry for the naivety!

TeamEdward Wed 27-Mar-13 14:47:22

Go for the job.
Bitter ex teacher

TheNebulousBoojum Wed 27-Mar-13 15:46:14

Because you seem to have an idealistic, somewhat unrealistic view of the current state of education as experienced by a class teacher.
I'd worry that you would crash into the reality of the 7.30-6 day, and the extra hours in the evening, the relentless expectations on constantly shifting grounds, the planning and target setting and all the rest of the package. The continuous government interference.
And that you would get stressed and disheartened, and that your young family will suffer for it.

'I have always fancied teaching and at 39, I feel ready for a change'

The choice is yours, but I stand by my advice.

yellowhousewithareddoor Wed 27-Mar-13 15:51:27

On the other hand if you're close to family where you are you might find you really miss that. After a few years in teaching you do at least get most of the summer holiday and that's a fab time to spend with the children. Your will need tons of childcare all holidays etc if you move away from home.

As fantastic as money is, I'm a teacher and would personally want the quality of family life over lots of money. I may be mad.

Lindyhopper29 Wed 27-Mar-13 15:54:12

No brainer. If you want a (relatively) poorly paid job with endless hassle from parents and very little appreciation of what you do, then go into teaching.

I speak from 30 years' experience.

Timetoask Wed 27-Mar-13 15:55:46

If you have applied for this other job, it means that you are not desperate to leave your current career.
I would say that unless you are desperately unhappy, depressed with current career, or teacher is a real vocation/passion, then I would take the 60K job.

TwllBach Wed 27-Mar-13 15:56:34

I haven't read the thread but, as an NQT I can quite honestly say that I would

TAKE THE £60k JOB.

Good God... Take it and run for the hills.

PandaNot Wed 27-Mar-13 15:59:33

I love my job, I'm a teacher and have a much sought after pt position. But I would take the other job.

TeamEdward Wed 27-Mar-13 16:00:04

I left teaching because it seriously effected the quality of family life. I couldn't stand the politics and stupid amount of paperwork, lack of trust in professional judgement and constant pressure to meet constantly changing targets. My 12 hour days meant that I hardly saw my children during term time, and during holidays I was working at least 20% of the time in preparation for the next term. My DC are a bit younger than yours OP, so that might a difference.
It's just not the same profession as the one I started in 11 years ago. Maybe trainee teachers today are more prepared for the administrative guff required now.

yellowhousewithareddoor Wed 27-Mar-13 16:11:40

She'd be moving away from her mum though. The children could continue their relationship with their Granny, have Granny come in to see plays, shows etc rather than move somewhere completely new.

I disagree its badly paid too. Its higher than national average and in line with other graduate public services such as social work and nursing, ot etc.

Once established you work mad hour in term time but free in holidays. I loved teaching and if I had a mum to take care of kids would be back in a shot!

TheNebulousBoojum Wed 27-Mar-13 16:32:50

I don't have an issue with the pay, never have had in 30 years.

mistletoeoak Wed 27-Mar-13 17:09:08

The 21k sounds good, but do your research and make sure there IS a job at the end of it. I trained as a primary teacher to find out no jobs in my area once I qualified, I could not even get a days supply and after a year of offering to even teach for free in order to keep my skills up to date I had to give up. Heart breaking. Loved teaching, but if no jobs in your area it is pointless. Before anyone shouts oh lots of jobs in my area, brilliant, hopefully things have changed, but it is geographic and also subject specific - so have a look and see what job prospects there REALLY are. Ask teachers, TA's and have a snoop - universities will always tell you there is a job as they want you on the course so they get the money to train you.

BelleEtLaBaby Thu 28-Mar-13 00:39:33

Take the job. I'm a teacher and I'll say it again. TAKE THE JOB. No question. The fab holidays everyone thinks you get go like this: all half terms spent frantically catching up, planning or marking, or both. All longer holidays start with at least a week of being madly ill with what feels like flu as you crash from the horror that is the academic year. No control over when you take leave. Marking, planning, prepping. Repeat as nauseum. You take work home every night during term time so don't see your dc's, OR pull late nights every night once they are in bed. If you don't do this, what feels like seconds into term you are playing catch up and will do so for the rest of the term. You start ridiculously early and finish ridiculously late. You get 48 hours notice for an OFSTED inspection, or which you will be told you are not expected to act any differently then massively pressured from every direction to do new paperwork you've never seen/make breathtaking displays/learn by heart school charters etc. You go through inspection which is hideous. No one cares if you are sick, pregnant, or as in my experience, actually nearly dead in hospital at the other end of the country - my hod telephoned the ward I was on to ask for some marking to be sent to her. I couldn't actually answer the phone to her as I was on oxygen and had to write my response.

Jobs are fiercely contested and you will never, ever feel valued. Parents will hate you. Lots of the students will have little to no respect for you, your managers will constantly want more from you and give you less time and support to do it in. Jobs are secure in some subjects but not all. Please don't think teaching is a rewarding career which is really good for a mum to do as the holidays make it easy. I'm six years in and I hate it. If someone offered me a 60k job doing quite literally anything else I would snatch their hand off. And I'm a good, organised, hardworking person, and I do care about my kids. But the job is hard, exhausting, undervalued and underpaid. Please really, really think about the realities here. I can't even afford to go away anywhere during all that fab holiday as I make so little money at the end of the day, once bills, pension and student loan cons out of the equation.

Run for your life, take the money, have a great time with your kids able to switch off at the end of the day and able to actually go on holiday with them, spend time doing stuff with them not marking at the play barn and trying not to feel guilty about it sad

BelleEtLaBaby Thu 28-Mar-13 00:42:15

Oh and to make it worse, when you complain to your friends about how rubbish it is and how exhausted you are, while trying not to cry into your wine, they will look at you and say oh, well, at least you get all that holiday

Disclaimer: I'm ill, pregnant, and I hate teaching. So I'm not really an unbiased opinion smile

BelleEtLaBaby Thu 28-Mar-13 00:44:34

Sorry, I've just read back. Final salary pension?

You would actually be mad to turn this job down for teaching.

Snazzynewyear Thu 28-Mar-13 00:49:29

The time to decide when you want a job is when they have offered it to you. Never cut off your options before that. So wait and see what happens with the 60K job. I actually don't think 'time is running out' at 39. You could still make the move to teaching in a few years if you wanted. So like others, I'd say take the 60K but if that doesn't come off, at least you have another option. Win win really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now