My son's friend takes cocaine and I have found out! Do I tell his parents?

(12 Posts)
mollyblack57 Mon 25-Feb-13 15:41:31

Thanks Mrslaughan...I actually agree with you wholeheartedly that I would want to know as a mum. I do not know the parents at all so perhaps leave it to the school. Not sure what I will do but probably chicken out altogether as opening up a can of worms. Will talk to more people.
@AlisonMoyet...I have never been able to get anywhere near my sons phone/facebook...and I wouldn't dream of it. My daughter had seen something on facebook over christmas and she told me and my son showed me texts explaining that he really had told his friend to stop.

mrslaughan Mon 25-Feb-13 12:57:18

I would tell the parents and the school.
If I was the other boys parent I would want to know.

AlisonMoyet Mon 25-Feb-13 12:46:24

You check a 17 year old's phone?

Im all for it for kids but by 17.. hmm

AlisonMoyet Mon 25-Feb-13 12:45:51

doesn't really matter - they will take it from there.

he is going to get into trouble in SOME way, anyway isnt he?

mollyblack57 Mon 25-Feb-13 12:44:15

The boy is not taking the drugs on the school premises. He is a very bright lad and I worry that he might be expelled?

AlisonMoyet Mon 25-Feb-13 09:32:24

and dont send such an officious email - if you are SO sure what is to be done then do it yourself.

AlisonMoyet Mon 25-Feb-13 09:31:57

christ you dont need to be anonymous.

Just email them and explain why you dont want to be linked to the complaint.

youmaycallmeSSP Mon 25-Feb-13 09:31:01

Oops, sorry for weird first post!

youmaycallmeSSP Mon 25-Feb-13 09:30:34

I would send a specific, anonymous email to the head teacher, naming names and saying that they may be taking/sourcing drugs on school premises. They are under 18 and the school has a duty of care to then investigate and inform the parents. That addresses the issue head-on while keeping your DS out of it. Something like:

Subject: Drug-taking on school premises

"Dear [headteacher's name],

"[Friend's full name] and [any other names of students you know are taking drugs or if you don't know more names then 'members of his peer group'] are using cocaine and other recreational drugs. They are certainly discussing this at school and possibly also sharing the drugs there. Please take appropriate action."

Job done.

AlisonMoyet Mon 25-Feb-13 09:23:38

tell the school

i would keep out

youmaycallmeSSP Mon 25-Feb-13 09:23:19

I would send a specific, anonymous email to the head teacher, nam

mollyblack57 Sun 24-Feb-13 21:59:07

I am extremely concerned about some texts I found on my son's phone recently. He was talking to his friend (he has known him for about 6 months. I have never met him) and telling him not to use drugs as his is doing (cocaine!!). I confronted my son about this and although concerned said it wasnt his business. He seems to think that is ok. I told him that if I were his parents I would want to know. I do not know the boy or his parents but fear as any parent would about the consequences of drug taking. I thought about talking to school (they are both 17 and a few boys appear to be taking serious drugs in their year) and telling them to do some extra PSHE without being too specific? Any advice would be welcome. My husband says we should not interfere but this goes against the grain with me. I do however stand a very high chance of losing my son's confidence in me as he will never forgive me if I took action owing to the fact that his friend would be so upset with him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now