Would like to move nearer to parents....but I can't see it ever happening

(2 Posts)

Not really in the same situation, but I have lived both near to and (fairly) far from my parents and the amount of time and quality of time I have spent with them has varied less than I imagined.

Do you know what exactly it is about 'home' that you miss? Seeing your parents/family/friends more often? The place itself? Are there any changes you can make in your life where you are to incorporate elements of what you are missing? For example; scheduling in regular visits, buying a weekend home/holiday caravan if finances allow, making more links within your own community to give you a better sense of belonging, etc.

I can see why it might not make sense to uproot everyone now, but this might not be forever.

nananoo Thu 07-Feb-13 15:16:29

Hi all

For many years I have wanted to live nearer to my parents...but DH and DCs are very happy where we are. I have tried my hardest to make where we live feel like home, and I have many friends, but that wish is still there.

I left 'home' about 20 years ago and although I've moved plenty of times, I have always lived about a 3 hour drive away.

A move closer would be possible, as long as DH could commute into London. However he doesn't want to move. DCs have lots of friends and are happy at school.

So, I think I will have to bite my tongue and just get on with it. The problem is that the regret will always be there.

What I'm asking really is, has anyone been in a similar situation and found a happy outcome?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now