WWYD - 2 week holiday with Mum and MiL with 6 week old and toddler?

(13 Posts)
VinegarDrinker Thu 24-Jan-13 21:12:27

Well if it ends up happening I will definitely do a minute by minute update!

Need to decide in the next day or two.

MiL has said she may just come for one week, so we could spread out across the caravans for the second.

Oh and re the train journey, I find trains infinitely easier than long car journeys with a toddler - can read together, walk to the buffet car, eat, draw, go to the loo whenever, take it in turns to entertain toddler etc. And if this one is anything like DS as a newborn, it'll scream blur murder in a car seat anyway :/

NewFerry Thu 24-Jan-13 16:27:21

Hmm, going, not gong!

NewFerry Thu 24-Jan-13 16:26:44

Tbh, I think I would look at spending my budget in gong for less time but being comfortable when I was there.
Also, 7 hour train journey? Anyway of car sharing?

I couldn't cope at all. And I get on well with PILs and my Dad. Yup mad I think grin

VinegarDrinker Thu 24-Jan-13 15:55:46

I could probably send my brothers over to the other van. One is 8 berth and one is 6.

VinegarDrinker Thu 24-Jan-13 15:54:18

Hah... yes bordering on crazy is probably right!

The initial plan was to have our own van but my MiL has a dog allergy so can't share with my Mum/the dog. Tbf it is an ancient Jack Russell who stinks but is otherwise not too high maintenance.

I think 3 vans would make it impossible financially.

Your ummmm brave.... Bordering on
crazy grin

NewFerry Thu 24-Jan-13 14:59:49

So, to clarify, one van has 2 adults in, the other has 5 adults, 2 children and a dog. For 2 weeks, yes?

IMO you're mad too! grin

Seriously, is there any way to split into 3 vans?

LostInWales Thu 24-Jan-13 14:59:43

Took the ferry to France for a 10 day family holiday when DS1 was 2 and DS2 was 7 weeks, was actually ok. Took DS2's bouncy chair everywhere and got lots of fuss in restaurants. Hardest bit was sterilizing bottles as my BFing had failed miserably. Babies are at their most portable at that age so if you have entertainment for the 2 year old you might as well get out and about and do the feeding/nappy changing with a different view for a bit!

Rosa Thu 24-Jan-13 14:59:20

Caravan with newborn and all those people - yup I think you are mad ....if the baby doesn't sleep neither will anybody else and a dog in a confined space .... Sorry I couldn't do it !

NotSoNervous Thu 24-Jan-13 14:56:08

I couldn't handle that at all! So IMO your mad grin

purplewithred Thu 24-Jan-13 14:55:38

It will either be fantastic or a nightmare. Do let us know how it turns out.

VinegarDrinker Thu 24-Jan-13 14:54:03

Am I insane to consider this?

2 adjacent Caravans on a nice, quiet holiday park (we've been to before) 7 hours train journey away. One with MiL & her partner, one with my Mum, 2 brothers, her dog, me, DH, DS (2.5 then) and newborn (potentially 6 weeks ish).

Get on well enough with my Mum, tolerably with MiL. And there will be lots of keen people around to help with baby/toddler...

But 2 weeks?? Will we all kill each other? Will the journey by itself kill us? And it isn't cheap - £500+.

WWYD?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now