dryathlon

(197 Posts)
Willthisworknow Sat 28-Dec-13 15:39:43

Need to lose weight but know the booze is my major downfall! Need a buddy(s) to do dryathlon with to keep the motivation up and to raise cash for Macmillan cancer support. My DH guffawed when I said, ..... Want to lose lbs at the same time (ps dryathlon is to keep off th booze for all January). I am 13 st 4 lbs and could do with losing a few stone too....eeek

CharlesRyder Sat 28-Dec-13 16:53:46

Yep, I went dry yesterday. Plan next drink to be a glass of champagne at sil's wedding at the end of March.

petal68 Sat 28-Dec-13 18:09:06

Hi, I would like to join in with you - could do with some motivation to keep going.

I need to lose a lot of weight so hoping this will help, not just from the calories in the drink but the lack of willpower to food when I've had a few drinks!

When are you starting? We have got family round on new years eve so it will be the first for me.

Willthisworknow Sat 28-Dec-13 21:44:27

Starting 1 jan after 1 am. Cheers!

smartiepantsgirl Sat 28-Dec-13 22:02:16

Yep, doing this too. Am combining the no alcohols with some general 'clean eating' as lost 7lb in 3 weeks last time.

Btw, Dryathlon is for Cancer Research not Macmillan....smile

forcookssake Sat 28-Dec-13 22:07:04

Checking in as I've just signed up to the Dryathalon, it's been a pretty booze heavy few months for me and it certainly won't be helping my weight loss (which is in an attempt to improve my TTC chances...)...
Lots of good reasons to do it this year!

Bowlersarm Sat 28-Dec-13 22:09:58

I'm in. I don't need to lose weight, but I need a booze break. Had four weeks 'dry' just before Christmas and loved it, but I do need an incentive. Such as an MN thread, so thank you OP.

CadiM Sun 29-Dec-13 11:43:04

I've started my New Year exercise resolutions early but my Dryathlon won't start until the 2nd January (last glass of wine with New Years dinner).

Willthisworknow Sun 29-Dec-13 17:09:41

Yes I've signed up and set up my web page. 3 more nights to go and counting.... Must get into training....

spookyskeleton Sun 29-Dec-13 17:13:31

I'm in smile not doing the official dryathalon for charity but have decided not to drink in January...my last drink will be New Years Eve.

I am doing it purely for weight loss reasons grin

Im in too, it will be the 4th January for me and DH as we have friends coming up on 2nd/3rd January and we will be celebrating a late New Years with them!

For any of you wanting to look at weight loss, general health etc in January, can I point young the direction of ActiDerm/ActiDiet.

This is by no means an advert, I've just seen some fabulous results over the last couple of months - I'm pretty certain they pay for an advertising banner on here anyway, but the stuff is amazing!

Willthisworknow Mon 30-Dec-13 14:14:46

2 sleeps to go - get your final taste for a month or two....cheers

Bowlersarm Mon 30-Dec-13 16:07:46

Are you planning to do it longer than a month, OP?

DramaAlpaca Mon 30-Dec-13 16:13:32

Count me in too. Will be starting on 4th January as have a party on the 3rd. I cut out the wine in the run up to Christmas, but have definitely been overdoing it over the past couple of weeks. I'm also planning to get back into my running shoes.

Iris445 Mon 30-Dec-13 17:45:32

Oh yes,I did this last year, found it very, very good for kick starting weight less and improving health!

Willthisworknow Mon 30-Dec-13 21:04:54

Would love to do it for longer but baby steps, am Scottish y'know.

Bowlersarm Tue 31-Dec-13 20:31:08

Cheers all.

Last slurp of alcohol for a while.

spookyskeleton Tue 31-Dec-13 20:48:06

treated myself to a lovely bottle of pinot grigio for my last alcohol for 31 days...it is very tasty and I am going to savour it grin

Cheers everyone wine wine

Willthisworknow Tue 31-Dec-13 20:59:54

Yes peeps enjoy, we have a bottle of champagne chilling.....happy new year!

forcookssake Tue 31-Dec-13 22:49:09

My last drink for a month is a sour cherry bellini, or two. So delicious!

Pumpkin567 Wed 01-Jan-14 09:08:28

I drank lots of fizz last night so I'm done for the month. the hangover will reinforce the need for a break

Willthisworknow Wed 01-Jan-14 10:17:37

So am I ..lots of fizz. Just need to work out how to publicise the web page to keep me going...

spookyskeleton Wed 01-Jan-14 10:59:02

I am raring to go now. having drunk every night for the last 10 days, i am ready for a break grin

Bowlersarm Wed 01-Jan-14 11:04:46

I'm raring to go as well.

Although it is only the morning of Day 1! hope I have the same resolve on Day 21. I am very confident of succeeding, but it's how easy I am going to find it which is the interesting (scary?) bit.

I have been drunk every day in December.

I hurt so so much this morning that I dont think I will ever drink again <wail>

Im in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now