Losing the stones one guinea pig at a time...

(984 Posts)
HenriettaPye Tue 24-Sep-13 18:02:44

Hello quiche avoiders wink

Lovely shiny new thread- we are a talkative bunch!

First Thread

Second Thread

To be a quiche avoider you must
-have a considerable amount of weight to lose
-be serious about wanting to lose it
-give other members a virtual kick up the arse when needed
-weigh in with us on a Wednesday (or if you weigh in on another day, post your results on a wednesday)

So roll up, jump in and lets lose lbs! and if you are having a moment of weakness just remember... what would clarinet do wink

TiredNursey Sun 06-Oct-13 20:43:59

Well The bread didn't get me but there were other temptations. There was a bag of popcorn for starters. Good day today kind of but we had sandwiches for lunch and went out for dinner. Twas a burger joint and I had a chargrilled chicken one. Only had half the bun but did have the fries. Didn't have dessert, watched the others dig into ice cream and eton mess then came home and had a bowl of fruit and fat free fromage frais.

Weekends are hard though. Too much temptation.
well done Debs and Reastie. And all the exercisers!!!! My friend ran a half marathon today. I watched. Although I had the kids for her so thats my excuse!

HenriettaPye Sun 06-Oct-13 21:00:00

Hello lovelies smile

This weekend has been a disaster! Today was DHs birthday. Yesterday his parents came to take us for lunch. I had a steak sandwich, tobacco onions, chips then a big pavlova. Then last night we went out for girls night and had a pizza. Tonight we had a Chinese and some birthday cake confusedconfused

It will be a miracle if I lose weight this week!!

Lorelai Sun 06-Oct-13 21:21:28

Very jealous of all these people fitting in to smaller clothes. I am still in the same jeans, just a bit looser, it all seems to have gone from my boobs sad I've dropped a band size AND a cup size.

BirdingWidow Mon 07-Oct-13 05:59:12

Lorelai, I have lost over 1.5 stone from my weight in may and I am still in the same jeans, albeit they are looser confused. I can do up a coat that was too tight though due to smaller boobs and I think i too have gone down a back size. Maybe we'll turn a corner soon?

BirdingWidow Mon 07-Oct-13 06:00:52

Ps baby got up for the day at 4.30am, ug. I don't think it will be a diety day... I'd be surprised if I lose anything this week as I have been nibbling a bit blush

Reastie Mon 07-Oct-13 07:58:51

Henrietta I have to ask - what's a tobacco onion?! If there's no loss this week it's OK, just work for next week and it'll balance out.

Birding and Lorelai FWIW I had to lose over 2 stone until I actually lost a dress size. I remember being at the same point as you and feeling like I'd lost over a stone and why wasn't I a dress size less confused . All I can say is it WILL happen! Birding yes to motivation. I think it's something that goes up and down over time. Maybe since you're feeling you've lost a fair bit and haven't gone down much in clothes it feels like you're not getting far (or anywhere quick). Keep at it. That's an ORDER!!!

Not too bad week end (apart from the choc tart). Did an hour of insanity workout yesterday and ache today! Only problem with insanity is it makes me absolutely ravenously hungry every time I do it!

HenriettaPye Mon 07-Oct-13 08:02:36

Reastie they are like crispy shredded onions! Delicious wink

phantomhairpuller Mon 07-Oct-13 08:04:55

Not such a great weekend for me blush food choices weren't so bad but LOTS of wine happened. No real reason for it either!

Fast day today to get me back on track

I wish I could get my exercise mojo back- anyone got any tips?! I literally haven't done anything, other than the school run, for a fortnight.

HELP! hmm

Reastie Mon 07-Oct-13 08:20:02

Dependings how much running you're doing on the school run phantom? wink

LegoAcupuncture Mon 07-Oct-13 08:34:05

Morning campers!

Back with it today after my disastrous week. Strangely I've not put any weight on grin so pleased with that!

Thanks all for the support and well wishes earlier last week, much appreciated.

phantomhairpuller Mon 07-Oct-13 08:35:16

grin Reastie!

I've got up quite a good march but not up to running pace just yet wink

Anotherguineapigdown Mon 07-Oct-13 12:05:15

testing name change

phantomhairpuller Mon 07-Oct-13 12:13:46

It worked smile

Who are you?! wink

Anotherguineapigdown Mon 07-Oct-13 12:14:25

Hello, can I sneak in?

I have been lurking on your threads for the last 8 weeks, wanting to join in, but not wanting to put my regular posting name on here, as I think someone in real life knows who I am.

I have finally plucked up the courage to say hello, in a new name.

You have all been so inspirational! I especially like the motivational tips in the first couple of threads. They have helped me a lot.

I started out on Saturday 10th August at 17 stone 10lbs, my fattest ever. I'd ideally like to get to ten stone. I weigh-in on Saturdays, and last Saturday I was 15 stone 6lbs, so I have lost a total of 32lbs - or 32 guinea pigs as I like to call them now!

My leggings are now loose, and I can fit in some old size 18 jeans, when a few weeks ago I was busting out of a size 22.

I am doing the Paul McKenna hypnotic gastric band, and I am finding it the easiest diet I've ever been on because I can eat whatever I like, but my portion sizes have drastically reduced, and I don't feel I am missing out on anything.

So, do you mind if I join you?

phantomhairpuller Mon 07-Oct-13 12:16:35

Aha! In that case, welcome
Well done on the loss so far smile

Anotherguineapigdown Mon 07-Oct-13 12:19:53

Thank you!

BirdingWidow Mon 07-Oct-13 12:38:54

Reastie, thanks for the pep talk / bollocking! I do genuinely appreciate it. Just seems bizarre not to have dropped a size! I am still feeling a bit bored but will plug on. I think a pair of smaller jeans would spur me on a lot - I can't be too far off, surely?!

Welcome Another! You have done brilliantly in just two months, that is astonishingly good progress. You must feel amazing and have certainly made me feel a bit more positive again. That's why this thread is do brilliant - I am glad you have delurked.

Phantom, booze is the diet enemy. I love a nice g&t or spot of wine but it destroys my 1200 calories sad. I am having the odd bit but nowhere near as much as I would like!

Anotherguineapigdown Mon 07-Oct-13 12:47:54

Thanks, Birding! I think the body changes in odd ways. I went from busting out of a 22 jeans to fitting them nicely, then no change, then all of a sudden my 18s were fitting, and now need a belt. I seemed to skip size 20. Hang on there, you will drop a size shortly, maybe two!

I was thinking yesterday that even when I have lost the same amount again, I will still be classed as obese. It is so hard when you have so much to lose. I'm 5'4", so the obese to overweight marker is 12 and a half stone. That seems so so far away.

The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that if I hadn't started this I would be over 18 stone by now, and heading upwards.

ImThinkingBoutMyDoorbell Mon 07-Oct-13 13:15:16

Afternoon all!

I totally agree about the dress size, I didn't go down a size until I lost the second stone. The first one didn't make a blind bit of difference. I couldn't even see it in the mirror. I was so disappointed but kept on going. I bought new jeans to celebrate when i finally made it. It only took another 7lbs to drop another size though and now they're too baggy!

This has not been a good weekend for me. It was DS's first birthday and I made 40 frosted cupcakes and 40 scones, served with clotted cream and jam... despite loading up on sugar and carbs I have been too busy to eat regular meals so I'm hoping it's all balanced out in an unhealthy sort of way! blush Am about to give them all away now, it will be a relief to have them out of the house!

Lorelai Mon 07-Oct-13 14:06:20

I'm not bothered about the clothes sizes, just doing the maths i can see it will take a while, I just don't want to lose my boobs sad

cq Mon 07-Oct-13 15:43:54

Hi everyone, just checking in again. Not having a brilliant week but not too bad. I too need to find my exercise mojo, phantom - it's a beautiful day today and I was just looking out the window thinking it is the perfect day for a run -- and instead I sat down and turned the PC on angry. I've got the dog shrink coming any minute now so the run will have to wait.

Interesting that some of you are mentioning the feeling of 'plodding' and getting a bit bored with the slow progress - me too. But having caught up with the thread in large chunks rather than a couple of times a day, what has really jumped out at me is that we are all, slowly and imperceptibly, changing our habits. Having 'a few roasties' or 'sharing a cake' and allowing ourselves these are so important to staying on track, I think. We are making better choices - not so long ago it might have been the whole roast dinner with piles of roasties, and a pud, and a few glasses of wine. Or a huge piece of cake and maybe even seconds. So I think that we are slowly turning the ship around and curbing the bad habits that got us here.

We should all give ourselves a big pat on the back.

LegoAcupuncture Mon 07-Oct-13 18:03:33

So far so good. Had a lovely mushroom and pepper omlette with wedges for tea. Still have 5pp so undecided to have crisps or chocolate as a treat.

IsThatTrue Mon 07-Oct-13 18:08:20

Well I've had about 150kcal of my 500 (fast day) so far. Prob going to make soup for dinner which is pretty low cal.

Ds2 still not sleeping so any good decisions I make are bonuses atm.

moonshine Mon 07-Oct-13 19:17:47

Welcome Another guineapig... and wow on that weight loss already in less than 2 months envy.

I hope the weekend wasn't too difficult for you all. I was ok apart from a Nandos involving chips but have realised that my body has had the same weird rhythm over the past few weeks ie I only ever lose weight on a Monday and/or Tuesday, am always heavier on a Saturday (sometimes Sunday), and nearly always stay the same on a Wednesday, Thursday & Sunday (again sometimes), no matter how hard I try confused. Well at least I should be on a weight-loss day (I hope!).

clarinetV2 Mon 07-Oct-13 23:01:11

Welcome Another, good to have you on board. Hooray, you're back, cq - I hope the dog shrink was helpful.

Oh dear oh dear I have a big confession to make. I can hardly bring myself to write this. I've just come back from a long weekend away. I always knew there was going to be a lot of food. If this is to be sustainable long-term then I need to know that I can enjoy eating in the way a 'normal' sweet-toothed person would, IYKWIM. So I was fully intending to enjoy treats in full view of everyone - deserts and wine with evening meals, cake at teatime and so on. In the bad old days I wouldn't have done that publicly because I'd have felt judged, but I would have snuck off on my own whenever I could and wolfed chocolate and cakes where no-one could see. So the plan was to do what I did on holiday in July - enjoy the treats knowing that I can get back on course when I get back home and it's not the start of the slippery slope. No secret binges.

Well, maybe I ate a bit more than intended, and there were a couple of late-night private chocolate occasions. But the big confession starts on the way home. Having had hotel breakfast (bacon and mushrooms with toast) I called in at the chippy for lunch. OK, well maybe that still counted as holiday. Then I went into Sainsburys to pick up some healthy food ready to get back on the wagon. Came out with a loaf of crusty white, a 'luxury' victoria sponge (made with real buttercream it said on the packet) and a giant bar of that new maltesers chocolate bar which I've never had before. I came home and ate the lot. And then I cooked some pasta with a stock cube and ate that as well. I feel ill and disgusted with myself. Why on earth did I do that? It's by far the worst binge I've had for months. Goodness only knows what the scales are going to say on Wednesday. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now