Please help - Top tips to shred 3 stone when breast feeding

(9 Posts)

I had ds2 3weeks ago and he is an absolute joy but what with weight gain with ds1 and this pregnancy I have 3 stone to lose. I feel really, really unconfident how I am at the moment and in October I start giving part time lectures at the local university. I know if I don't lose this weight it will really affect my confidence, so though I don't expect all of it to go I hope to have a good lot gone.

Can anyone help with diet/ exercise tips... taking into account I do have a newborn and intend to continue bf.

evelynj Mon 24-Jun-13 16:51:11

Hi

I'm watching with interest as I'm due dc2 in 3 weeks & have gotten into awful eating habits in this pg & will also have 3 stone approx to lose.

I was doing slimming world before I fell pg & it was good. I'm going to try eating plenty of fruit & veg & set aside time for batch making a load of veg soup in a couple of months & filling the freezer.

Realistically, when bf DS, I craved a lot of chocolate & cake tho so expect the same again & also with a newborn there isnt the time to organise & prepare. Can you exercise? If you can get out with baby in buggy for a half hour walk once or twice a day, this will help.

If you haven't tried skimming world before you can do it online but I find classes good. I'm dreading starting trying to lose but will wait 2 months til after birth.

Alpen light choc & fudge bars are good for snacks & weight watchers yogurts, tinned spaghetti, cracker bread & baked spuds.

MrsMarigold Mon 24-Jun-13 16:58:31

I've lost 3st since having DD - all I can say is get hill walking with a double buggy and lots of shopping bags and breastfeed like a maniac and it will drop off. Also live by the mantra 9 months on, 9 months off. Also avoid chocolates and cakes if you can, nuts and dried apricots (dreadful for teeth but better for your waistline) are just as good.

TVTonight Mon 24-Jun-13 21:12:31

Can you prepare meals that are nutritious but can be taken straight out of the freezer. E.g buy fresh fish portions. Wrap in tin foil and freeze. Then you can put in to cook with a Large baked potato. And 40 minutes later put some frozen peas in the microwave?

Half an hour a week to prepare meals for the fridge and freezer really helps.
Also if you can spend a few minutes every morning to prepare healthy snacks. E.g chop celery and carrots plus hummus.
Drink lots of water.

Get out walking if you have baby in a sling it will help.

Get as much sleep as possible. It is very very hard to make good food choices when you are tired.

evelynj Wed 26-Jun-13 23:14:55

Yes, prep time in evening or morning is a key factor-ESP if you need to weigh and measure quantities. Its a lot easier to make good snack and meal choices when you have a portion of something a your fingertips.

Vinividivino Mon 01-Jul-13 13:49:52

Agree with all the above. Some wise woman on another thread said "walk, walk, walk and when you're done walking, walk some more." I found that definitely helps a lot, particularly in the first few weeks when you need to take it gently while you recover. Then I found breastfeeding like a maniac smiles at MrsMarigold and doing Jillian Michaels DVDs really helped while calorie counting on MFP. Go for it! Good luck.

Thanks all, I've been walking a lot and DS feeds constantly. Without too much effort and just watching what I eat I have dropped 1stone 2lbs already so if this keeps up it'll be off in no time!
Will start jogging again soon after 6 week check as I really enjoy that space to myself a few times a week.
Vinividivino we obviously think alike as the Shred DVD arrived this morning - looking forward to trying it!!

Vinividivino Mon 01-Jul-13 16:43:40

Great minds do think alike! Good luck with Shred! I found it tough to begin with but soon made a real impact. let us know how you get on.

Vinividivino Mon 01-Jul-13 16:45:00

Well done on the weight loss so far. That's good going in just 3 weeks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now